Brands (tofu and tofu dogs) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-23-2006, 08:33 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good brands of Tofu or cheese without rennet or tofu dogs anything. I am fairly new so any yummy food ideas would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Tofu - they all taste the same.

Tofu dogs - I've had smart dogs and morningstar brand dogs that taste pretty much how I remember hot dogs to taste.
#3 Old 01-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Baby Love

For tofu, go for the water-packed variety it tastes so much better than the boxed.

I'm not a fan of tofu dogs anymore, but I used to buy smart dogs. I think I burnt myself out on them. Maybe, its time for another try.

Sorry, I have no cheese recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-23-2006, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

They make un-water-packed tofu?
#5 Old 01-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Also make sure the tofu is organic. Just about any water packed organic tofu is good. If you live in the US you'll probably be able to find nasoya the easiest.
#6 Old 01-25-2006, 06:11 PM

Thank you guys for the tips. I just got back from the store and picked up water packed tofu and it happened to be Nasoya!! Im going to make a smoothie. I really appreciate everyones help.
#7 Old 01-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Smart dogs are pretty good. My boyfriend swears by the Yves brand Tofu Dogs, though. They taste the same to me...

My grocery store carries a brand of veggie cheese that's just called "Vegan." It's in a purple package, if that helps. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it many other places.
#8 Old 01-25-2006, 06:42 PM

To make a hotdog, I just slice off a piece of tofu from the brick. I either bake it or smoke it, put it in a bun, add mustard, relish, whatever. It's been so long since I had a meat hotdog that my plain old tofu version works for me (and my kids who have only know a hotdog this way).
#9 Old 01-25-2006, 07:09 PM

Smart Dogs are my favorite. They seem to hold up on a grill best. I do like Morning Star Farms, as well.
#10 Old 01-26-2006, 04:46 AM
Veggie Regular

The best veggie hot dogs are Yves brand "The Good Dog". It's in the same section as the tofu actually. I don't like tofu, so I don't have any recommendations on that, and I don't eat cheese so can't help you there either.
#11 Old 01-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I love smart dogs. My parents swear it almost tastes the same as meat.
#12 Old 01-26-2006, 10:17 AM

The Yves brand Tofu Pups are my favorite, but I also like Smart Dogs a lot.
#13 Old 01-27-2006, 04:50 PM

are you vegan or vegetarian?

Vegan rella is very good cheese.. the best in my opinion.. (Most of the other brands ive tasted are really gritty and soft like firm tofu ) vegan rella comes in different flavors like chedder jack and swiss....
#14 Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 PM

All great ideas - I just bought Yves lunch "meat" I havent tried it yet but hearing you guys mention this brand makes me feel at ease.
#15 Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 PM

I would have to agree with the recommendation about vegan rella. I also like vegan gourmet for cheese. But I like making my own cheese from nutritional yeast the best.
#16 Old 01-31-2006, 11:35 PM

nasoya--is good and so is the morningstar farms--but imo they all kinda taste the same.

peace and love

jenn
#17 Old 02-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

Tofu - they all taste the same.

(Faints) ACK! No, no no... that's like saying all chocolate tastes the same. Tofu doesn't have much of a "taste", this is true, but there are huge differences in taste, texture and appearance between brands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdufstuff View Post

If you live in the US you'll probably be able to find nasoya the easiest.

Nasoya is probably the most widely available, but is far from the freshest tasting or "best" by a long, long stretch... (Personally I find it nasty)

As bigdufstuff mentioned though, try and find organic if you can afford it. (I often can't).

Fresher is better with tofu. Look for it in bulk in Asian markets if you're adventurous enough to go there. It will be totally different than supermarket packaged tofu. Store the fresh tofu in a tupperwear container of water, change the water every day and use it or freeze it soon after buying it. GOOD stuff!

If you have to buy supermarket tofu, look for a brand made locally. (Or somewhere as close as possible). These will usually be fresher and firmer and have a MUCH better texture. Also, the smaller companies (Small Planet, Holy Cow, Common Ground, are some brands I know) usually make a far superior product.

If you're not going to cook it or use it in stir-fry and just going for that smooth, custardy texture however, the aseptically packaged (Mori-Nu) stuff in the box is almost tasteless and perfect for smoothies, dips, dressings and desserts. I don't care for the texture of water packed tofu in smoothies or dips actually.

Good luck! Tofu is an adventure all on it's own, you'll learn what you like and what works best for your favorite recipes as you experiment.
#18 Old 02-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I love me some Smart Dogs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page