Ramen Noodles? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2006, 07:07 PM

Are Ramen noodles vegetarian friendly? I know the noodles would be okay, but what about the seasoning?

I wanted to make some for lunch today but realized we don't have any, and then I started wondering if it's something I'd even be "able" to eat. So if anyone knows for sure that'd be great, Ramen is often what I eat when I get home from school, lol. Even if it's not that's okay, I'm new to the vegetarian thing so trying to find things I'm familiar with to eat, but I'm also looking for new things to try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Beginner

you would have to look at the ingredients. most that i've looked at have meat flavors in the seasoning packs, even the "oriental" flavored ones. I don't eat it, but maybe a wholefood brand makes some that are veggie friendly. I do know that most have a lot of sodium and other stuff you might not want to be eating (MSG, etc).
#3 Old 01-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

if you have a natural foods store near you, KOYO has a whole line of vegetarian ramen noodles (vegan, in fact). They come in a bunch of fantastic flavors and while they're a tad more expensive than some brands they are organic and go for around a buck- which is still pretty darn cheap, especially for organic!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Maruchan makes a mushroom flavor. It rocks.
#5 Old 01-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

The OP is "new" to vegetarianism folks - lets cut them some slack and just answer the question instead of loading them down and confusing them with unasked for advice (good as it might be)...

The question was: "Are Ramen noodles vegetarian friendly? I know the noodles would be okay, but what about the seasoning?"

The questions were NOT "are they healthy?" or "where can I buy vegan ones?"

Probably most EVERYONE knows they're not the "ideal" food, but they do serve as a major componant in many people's menus (especially teen/college students/people who can't cook, etc..). Much as I hate the stuff, my kids get them and would eat them several times a day if I didn't shove more healthy options in front of them...

The "Oriental" flavor from three different brands that I looked at tonight (major store brands) WAS indeed vegetarian, one was even vegan.

Other vegetarian "flavors" included 'Garden Vegetable', 'Salsa Tomato' and 'Curry' though I know these are not available in all areas...

So, Southpaw, welcome... and to answer your question, it appears some of the "oriental" flavors, and maybe some others, are vegetarian. However, as noted - ALWAYS READ THE LABEL!
#6 Old 01-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

The OP is "new" to vegetarianism folks - lets cut them some slack and just answer the question instead of loading them down and confusing them with unasked for advice (good as it might be)...

: was anyone giving the OP a hard time? just looks like people telling him/her that, yes, some ramen is vegetarian, and offering some ideas of where they might get their hands on some.
#7 Old 01-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Beginner

Thai Kitchen brand has "Instant Rice Noodle Soup" pouches, which you can usually find in the 'international' section of your grocery store (near soy sauce, etc.) They have flavors including "Garlic & Vegetable" and "Spring Onion". They also make noodle bowls and other similar products.

These tend to cost more than your typical ramen noodle soups, but I think they're very good. The noodles are slightly different than regular ramen noodles, since they're rice noodles, but I don't think you'd be disappointed with them.

Since you said you wouldn't mind trying something new, I thought I'd suggest these. Also, you can check out their products in detail at their website: http://www.thaikitchen.com/ (Sometimes it's great to read ingredient lists in advance, so you can get out of the store quicker.) Next to each item, there's a link for nutrition info and ingredients.

Hope that helps.

Piratebean
#8 Old 01-17-2006, 10:24 PM

Thanks a lot everyone!

Haha, I know there are tons of things I could be eating that are much healthier than Ramen is...but y'know, just a quick and easy something to fill me up when I get home.

I'll definitely remember these suggestions next time we go shopping. Thanks again!
#9 Old 01-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Top ramen oriental has been vegan everywhere I've looked at it
#10 Old 01-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

If you are willing to go to a little trouble...just a little...you might want to try one of these recipes. http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003iss...ue3noodles.htm
#11 Old 01-18-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

yup I'm making it now
#12 Old 01-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Ramen noodles are evily addictive.
#13 Old 01-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

They are the crack of the food industry.
#14 Old 01-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

If you are willing to go to a little trouble...just a little...you might want to try one of these recipes. http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2003iss...ue3noodles.htm

Oh thanks for the link!
#15 Old 01-19-2006, 04:37 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Buy fresh ramen noodles and make your own seasonings. Much tastier and healthier. The dry ones with pre-pack seasonings are foul.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#16 Old 01-19-2006, 09:45 AM

There is a whole variety of veggie cup a soups out there, one in particular is called CHICKEN FREE, and it is just like the chicken and noodle cup a soup, except it is totally vegetarian.
#17 Old 01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebelovedtree View Post

Yep! That's what I buy, it's the same price and everything as regular ramen. I think it's just the Oriental flavor of Top Ramen that's vegetarian. Also, I get cup of noodle type things from the kosher section of the store, they have "chicken flavor" and "beef flavor" but they're all vegetarian.
#18 Old 01-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Blue grrl I saw a mushroom flavor to top ramen several years ago in NY state that was vegan but I've never seen it anywhere else. Its worth looking into though because (for ramen noodles) it was quite good.
#19 Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

top ramen oriental *is* veg... though i just like the noodles... :-D

you can also buy just the noodles from some oriental markets, if you have one by you, and add veggie bullion cubes if you so desire..
#20 Old 01-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never seen fresh ramen anywhere... maybe that's an asian store thing or a big city thing?

Anyway, Nissan brand oriental flavour is also veg friendly. It's also pretty easy to find, too and often quite cheap (the stores around here sell it for 10/$1).

It's also right delicious with some veggies tossed in (I use frozen veg mix cause it's more variety in faster time ) and maybe some drained rinsed beans or nuts tossed in. The beans/nuts are sorta optional, but I've found they're pretty good for providing a bit of staiety in my meal instead of starving to pieces before dinner's done with.
#21 Old 01-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

i like to eat the noodles dry and broken up... i also like to mix them with veggies and olive oil in my hotpot :-D
#22 Old 01-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

beware of "natural flavors" tho... you never know what they really are, but chances are good that they'll be animal derived...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#23 Old 01-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Arg! Damn this thread, for I have no Raman noodles.

As for the organic, etc Ramen Noodles, they ruin the whole point of having a meal for fifteen cents.
#24 Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

And, if you are worried about the salf, simply add less seasoning in the process of preperation.
#25 Old 01-22-2006, 06:09 PM

Ramen noodles contain poison. So called meat flavour is one of many chemicals. It will make you sick sooner or later. Anything fortyfied is also a poison. Have a nice day. James.
#26 Old 01-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmk2003 View Post

Ramen noodles contain poison. So called meat flavour is one of many chemicals. It will make you sick sooner or later. Anything fortyfied is also a poison. Have a nice day. James.

#27 Old 01-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Nec Aspera Terrent
#28 Old 01-22-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Haha. Well then.

I think I'll be able to get over the whole Ramen thing by just making my own soups. I had my mom buy vegetable broth when she went shopping yesterday, she couldn't understand why I didn't want chicken broth. But anyway, I used it to make soup today and it was pretty yummy!

Thanks for all the suggestions~~all of them will be kept in mind!
#29 Old 01-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Just to make absolutely, positively sure....are the Nissin brand Oriental Ramen noodles vegetarian?

I love this soup so much, and I've scanned the ingredients about 7 million times looking for anything that says "beef extract" (which is in the Maruchan kind)

~Layla
#30 Old 03-29-2006, 06:13 PM

I was thinking of making some Ramen Noodles,the Oriental flavor.Only thing is I read on the package that it says manufactured in a facility that uses,milk,egg and fish and shrimp products.What does that mean? Im afraid to make it now after reading that on the package.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page