Vegan: No.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 11-15-2005, 12:44 PM

thank u thats all i needed to no
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

if any part of why you want to be vegetarian has to do with not wanting to be complicit in the unnecessary suffering and slaughter of animals, then no.
#5 Old 11-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

Kosher wise, eggs are considered a meat and a dairy. I've heard but can't verify that some Kosher guidelines require fertilized eggs for meat classification, and unfertilized eggs for diary classifications.
#6 Old 11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

i was raised iin a kosher household, and eggs were classified as dairy by my parents, we only bought unfertilized eggs...
#7 Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I've known many kosher people who classified eggs as dairy as well. never a "meat"
#8 Old 11-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac wine View Post

if any part of why you want to be vegetarian has to do with not wanting to be complicit in the unnecessary suffering and slaughter of animals, then no.

I think it depends, I'm comfortable with where I get my eggs from, it's a small place where they sell their own veg too, and the chickens are running round your feet as you walk around. I would never never buy eggs from caged chickens though, that really is causing unnecessary suffering.
#9 Old 11-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

But don't you think all the males having their lives snuffed out at the hatchery and the spent layers being slaughtered once production drops is also unnecessary suffering, even though the females might have a comparatively nice (though abbreviated) life?
#10 Old 11-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac wine View Post

But don't you think all the males having their lives snuffed out at the hatchery and the spent layers being slaughtered once production drops is also unnecessary suffering, even though the females might have a comparatively nice (though abbreviated) life?

That goes to show why if it's possible, people should raise their own hens : )
#11 Old 11-17-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

i was raised iin a kosher household, and eggs were classified as dairy by my parents, we only bought unfertilized eggs...

Um I know a fair amount about kosher laws, according to even Orthodox opinion, eggs are pareve, neither meat nor dairy. That's why you can eat eggs along with meat (you can't eat meat & dairy together if you're kosher).

Though the question at hand seems different anyway. But to me, it seems like it shouldn't matter what the definition of vegetarian is. It should be that you do what you believe in, not because of the definition.
#12 Old 11-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Beginner

I would agree with that ^^^ the label isn't the important thing, it's doing what you feel comfortable with and not feeling pressured into doing/eating something that you're not comfortable with.
#13 Old 11-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

My outlook on things is that if you REALLY care about not causing the suffering of any animals, including chickens and hens, you will not eat eggs! You will not drink milk, either! By eating eggs - unfertilized or not - you ARE taking something from a being - a living and soul-full being. If I were a scientist, and took an unfertilized egg from a female woman, I would be taking her chance to have that very child. See my logic? By eating their eggs, you are taking their possibility to a family, and a good life. Free-range? So if I took some of you ladies, throw you in a field, and every now and then remove one of your internal eggs, that would be the life? I would think not.... Then again, I am not a woman.

And then you have milk. Milk....milk....milk... Why? There are suitable and animal-free milk AND egg alternatives. Alergic to soy? Sorry to hear that! Have some almond or rice milk. Is it really necessary to take a cows milk, though? Whether it is done humanly, or inhumanly on a factory farm, should not matter. You are still taking the milk, which is produced solely for their young.

Now, before you all bash me, I will say that I really appreciate Vegetarians for doing their part. You guys are great! You are helping a lot by not eating straight meat. But, you cut out meat... so why not go the full monty? Eggs and dairy consumption should not make you a caring being, in my eyes. I understand that this may make you all hate me, but I just don't understand how you can give up Meat and all other forms of it, but not milk and eggs, given all of the healthy alternitives.
#14 Old 11-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

That goes to show why if it's possible, people should raise their own hens : )

This is problematic as well, as we've discussed in other threads.
#15 Old 11-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

By eating eggs - unfertilized or not - you ARE taking something from a being - a living and soul-full being. If I were a scientist, and took an unfertilized egg from a female woman, I would be taking her chance to have that very child. See my logic? By eating their eggs, you are taking their possibility to a family, and a good life. Free-range? So if I took some of you ladies, throw you in a field, and every now and then remove one of your internal eggs, that would be the life? I would think not.... Then again, I am not a woman.

No, I don't see your logic. Hens lay eggs, humans do not.
#16 Old 11-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Hens are not attached to their eggs unless the hens are broody (ready to raise a family). Light breed chickens usually do not become broody at all, so they never feel attachment to their eggs.
#17 Old 11-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Where is it? They lay it from the inside. Therefore, since a female woman has an egg inside of her, it is just like taking the egg of a human woman. They point is, you are taking from them.
#18 Old 11-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

You're taking something they would discard anyway.

edited to add: Just to be disgusting, it is like taking a used sanitary napkin from a woman. She has no attachment to this.
#19 Old 11-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

It could be like a dear not crossing the road - fear. They won't become attached, because we keep taking them.

Sorry, I just don't get it. Why not take the full plunge??
#20 Old 11-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I believe that a hen would know if her eggs were fertile no? I have a pigeon who lays eggs and happily lets me take them from her. She KNOWS there was no male around.
#21 Old 11-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Aussyj, no, they will just lay them anywhere, under a bush, wherever, and never look back. They really don't care.

Kat - they can't tell if the eggs are fertile, and will sometimes go broody even on unfertilized eggs, if they are a broody breed (some heavy breeds and most bantams).
#22 Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

But you aren't seeing the point - That is THEIR eggs. They layed them. I mean, I can understand your thinkings. No, they aren't or may not be fertilized, but they are still theirs. Fertilized or not, that is the property of a living and breathing creature.

Hmmm..... A mental picture. Let's say I stole a valuable object from you. Then, let's say I steal a non-valuable object from you. I stole two objects.

No, valuable or not - they were yours. Seems untrustworthy and un-nice that I stole them, correct? Value does not matter - but respect does. Eggs are theirs - and we should respect that.
#23 Old 11-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

You're taking something they would discard anyway.

edited to add: Just to be disgusting, it is like taking a used sanitary napkin from a woman. She has no attachment to this.

This is how I see it.

And I don't support the egg insustry nor buy eggs.
#24 Old 11-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not understanding your thinking here, Aussyj. If someone wants my used sanitary napkin after I throw it away, they are welcome to it!

Do you worry much about your excreted bodily fluids, etc?
#25 Old 11-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

HAHA! Actualy, it might be the only action I have ever gotten. Sad, but true.

Now! The point is not your sanitary napkins. We are talking of eggs, and the animals that lay them.

I don't understand your resoning. You wish to be cruelty free, but you take from animals?

How about milk then? I suppose it is like taking your bra?
#26 Old 11-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

My point Aussyj, is that the woman's excreted egg is in her sanitary napkin. Just like the hen's excreted egg is in a nest, under a bush, etc.
#27 Old 11-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Now! The point is not your sanitary napkins. We are talking of eggs, and the animals that lay them.

Humans discard an egg every time they menstruate. BTW, human eggs are the largest cell in the body but still too small to be seen with a naked eye.
#28 Old 11-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

TODAYS TOP STORY : VEGETARIANS EATING THE SANITARY NAPKINS OF CHICKENS? MORE ON THIS AT 11!

Still no valid reason for not taking the full plundge. I mean... Eating the sanitary napkins of a chicken would actually make me sick.
#29 Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

TODAYS TOP STORY : VEGETARIANS EATING THE SANITARY NAPKINS OF CHICKENS? MORE ON THIS AT 11!

Still no valid reason for not taking the full plundge. I mean... Eating the sanitary napkins of a chicken would actually make me sick.

What? Chickens do not menstruate like humans........
#30 Old 11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

But that is the matephor that was made. You both compared a chickens eggs to a womans sanitary napkin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page