1 Veggie "VS" 11 omni in same house - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 AM

How would you all stay on a veggie diet while living in a houseful of onmi & junk-food addicts?

Everyone seems to eat at different times of the day (all day long), so it's not as if we all sit down together for dinner.

For some reason they think they need meat for for 2-3 meals a day.

I live in a small town (without a grocery store in it) and don't have my own car, so I don't get into next town much to shop.

This week, I cooked up some mixed dry beans in 2 slow-cookers and added onions, garlic, carrots, stewed tomatoes, & spices. Course only 1 other family member would try it. Everyone is to fussy and either don't like beans or tomatoes or complained when I refused to cut up hot dogs in it.

How would ya get your family to eat more veggie meals? and yes they have seen or heard about every reason that veggies have given for being veggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 PM

What is your position in the family? It sounds like you are a parent and do the cooking. I wouldn't cook meat but if you feel you have to you can cook it separately and add it into the dish when everything is done. Or get them to "cut up hot dogs in it" themselves. Shouldn't be too hard for them to do.

Have they seen Peaceable Kingdom ? It seems that a least one out of 11 omnis would switch upon seeing that video.
#3 Old 10-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the first problem you may be encountering is the attitude that its a competition, you VERSUS them. If you're in a household where the majority of the people are meat eaters you need to work more on compromise than competition. They wanted hot dogs cut into it? Buy some veggie dogs and plop them in. Or let them serve theirs into a bowl, and then add hot dog pieces. Stick with meals that look "normal" at first -- like spaghetti and marinari sauce. Crumble veggie burgers into it or add TVP if you want it to seem "meaty." You can also puree cooked veggies and add it to the sauce for more nutrition they won't notice. Veggie Chili with TVP or Burger crumbles is also fairly innocuous. You can't expect them to all change overnight, so you need to try to find ways to keep everyone happy, without compromising your own beliefs.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Agreed, great food like Italian, or Mexican could convince the hardest of meat eaters that non-meat filled food can be good.

Or you could try to trick them by cutting up Boca sausages in a stew...Mwaahaaahaaahaa
#5 Old 10-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Stupid question...what is TVP?

Oh, and I agree with rabid_child: this isn't a competition. They have the right to choose what they eat just as we do. If they are junk-food addicts, they're the ones that'll have to deal with cancer and heart attacks.
#6 Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morna View Post

Stupid question...what is TVP?

Oh, and I agree with rabid_child: this isn't a competition. They have the right to choose what they eat just as we do. If they are junk-food addicts, they're the ones that'll have to deal with cancer and heart attacks.

TVP = Textured Vegetable Protein

It generally comes dehydrated in chunks or granules, and you can rehydrate it in any liquid, and it works well as a ground beef substitute.

#7 Old 10-13-2005, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, okay...I don't know how others on the board feel about it, but when I was younger my best friend was vegetarian. My mom would get a big mixed bag of veggies...the Oriental Stir Fry from Wal Mart tastes really good and you get a big bag for 5 bucks...and she'd make a big bowl of veggie stir fry. Then she made a somewhat smaller bowl of meat (I guess you could have a fam. member prepar THAT) so then, I mean, at least you're all eating the same thing AND they're eating LESS meat. Oh, and try Boca Pizza. I'm telling ya. It is soooooo good!!!
#8 Old 10-13-2005, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh, I've left uni now, but when I was there I was in a house of omnis. They even used to try and trick me in to eating meat! Mad I was. But it was all in good fun, I don't think I ever actually did.

Anyway, they would quite happily eat my vegetarian pizza made with a wholemeal pizza base, tomato paste, bell peppers, tomatoes, tonnes of spinach, fake bacon, spices and fake cheese.

And my spicy potato wedges and any interesting salads I made.
#9 Old 10-13-2005, 06:41 AM

Does it really matter what the position of the veggie is in the family?

ANYTHING that looks, smells or even has the word tofu/soy on it will bring complaints...and when 11 people start whining at 1 person it ain't so easy to deal with.

Major medical problems run in the immediate family along with every grand-parent has a list of medical problems from diabetes, thyroid, high BP, high cholesterol, migraines, acne, depression, major fatigue.....etc. and they would rather buy OTC meds & complain to me for not taking care of them, then change diet
#10 Old 10-13-2005, 06:50 AM
Banned

Kill them all.
#11 Old 10-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Cook for yourself & let them cook for themselves...
#12 Old 10-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawkers7 View Post

Does it really matter what the position of the veggie is in the family?

ANYTHING that looks, smells or even has the word tofu/soy on it will bring complaints...and when 11 people start whining at 1 person it ain't so easy to deal with.

This isn't true. My omni family has eaten tofu my entire life and I didn't go veg until I was 15. They'll eat anything I cook and make requests for specific tofu/soy dishes and no one has ever complained.

#13 Old 10-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

God I hate tofu. My vegetarian family even hates tofu.
#14 Old 10-13-2005, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

This isn't true. My omni family has eaten tofu my entire life and I didn't go veg until I was 15. They'll eat anything I cook and make requests for specific tofu/soy dishes and no one has ever complained.

sorry but I was talking about MY family & my family WILL and HAS complained
#15 Old 10-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawkers7 View Post

sorry but I was talking about MY family & my family WILL and HAS complained

You need to relax. I read your statement as implying that regardless of the veg*ns position in the household, omnis will not accept tofu or soy.

It may be easier just to cook yourself a seperate meal and let them fend for themselves if you're so outnumbered.

#16 Old 10-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Banned

I agree with RC. Make extras for people to try (and so you can have leftovers into the week), but you aren't in charge of their eating habits (unless you are the parent).
#17 Old 10-14-2005, 02:33 AM

I'm the mom--to 6 of them, grandmother to 3 (except 1 grandson is only 4 weeks old, so he don't really count cuz he ain't eating food yet). Dad can be the biggest whinner & biggest junk-food addict.
#18 Old 10-14-2005, 02:47 AM
Vegan Police Officer

It sounds like no-one in your family expects you to cook for them. That's not the case for a lot of mums. Count yourself lucky.

You can lead a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink. If they want to eat junk-food, then you're going to have to look on despairingly. It's horrible 'cos they may start getting fat, obese and ill and that's not something one wants for one's family as normally there are family members one cares for (perhaps not all though).

I wouldn't bother about the adults. But the children... well, do they at least eat fruit? Fruit salad is great and healthy. Maybe you could at least supply them with healthy desserts and cookies and things so at least that would be a bonus for their health.
#19 Old 10-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

after reading this post i still don't understand why it matters that no one else wants to be vegetarian in this house. you can cook for yourself right?

if you try to get everyone to be vegetarian, you'll alienate them. if you simply continue to eat healthy vegetarian meals, one of them might get curious after a few months and try more of your meals, but that probably won't happen if they pick up on your competition attitude because then they'll only be worried about "winning." i learned long ago that if you think that you can turn any one person with logic and good food, you've got another thing coming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page