A weird thing happened.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-05-2005, 05:19 PM

... making dinner tonight.

I decided I was going to ease into this vegetarian thing this time..... first step, give up beef and pork, maybe chicken next month... yadda yadda....

We'll... I started to make dinner tonight (an oriental-ish dish with lots of veggies and chicken.). I looked at that raw chicken sitting there and thought.... "there's no freakin' way I can eat this"

So.... I cooked up the chicken for the carnivores in the house and made all the wonderful veggies separate as a stir fry (thanks, Moosewood Cookbook for the good sauce recipe) the kids ate Chicken, noodles, veggies and I ate the noodles and veggies (Snow peas, carrots, peppers, kohl rabi, onion, etc...)

It was great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds yummy! Stir-fry is probably my favorite healthy meal, with rice!
#3 Old 10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Good for you!

You're not the first to have that dead animal revelation.

My "ewww dead chicken!" moment came when I was working at my previous job. There was a Yoshinoya Bowl across the street from where I was working and I would get the chicken bowl quite often. One day, however, I looked at the pieces of dead animal lying there amid the rice and vegetables and my stomach started to turn. I had already cut out red meat, so I was able to make the connection with the chicken I was about to eat and a once-living animal. I ended up eating around the chicken, and from then on, whenever I went across to Yoshinoya, I'd just get the vegetable bowl. It still wasn't very appetizing, so I ended up just bringing my lunches to work (especially since that area is NOT veg-friendly at all). I've been bringing my lunches to work ever since. (The area where I currently work is also not veg-friendly.)

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! Congrats on moving away from chicken!
#5 Old 10-05-2005, 05:55 PM

Sounds good! Some tofu would go well with that veggie stir fry.
#6 Old 10-07-2005, 12:23 PM

What an awesome story!!!
#7 Old 10-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Ankle Biter

I know!!! Meatless dinners are so wonderful - and don't you feel so much better knowing you didn't eat the dead chickens? Now you just have to teach someone else in the family to cook the meat - that is, if they're going to eat it. It can take some time and effort to get your whole family on board with your new dietary practices, but it's worth it in the long run. Congratulations!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#8 Old 10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Veggie stir fry is the best!!
#9 Old 10-07-2005, 01:22 PM

You may want to purchase a video/dvd called "Peaceable Kingdom" and leave it lying around...
#10 Old 10-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

My first "dead animal, no way" thing was when I hadn't eaten meat for days, and then my sisters got me a big mac. I took one bite, chewed, took the patty off, and gave it to the dog. I couldn't do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page