Help, I'm craving meat. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2005, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been veg for almost 3 months now. When I first started I watched the videos, I read the books, and I was really grossed out by meat and had absolutely no desire to touch it again. Well, in the last week now I've been craving it again. I had been craving a buffalo chicken sub so we went to the store and bought faux chicken and made our own subs at home which was really, really good and quenched that craving. But then at the grocery store today I was in the aisle with the spaghetti and meatballs, and not thinking at all (lack of sleep for 4 days, hard day at work, etc.) I just put the cans in my cart and started to go off. . . I got to the end of the aisle and thought, "Wait a minute...spaghetti and meatballs..." and had to go put the cans back. I don't know what I was thinking, but in my mind I really wanted them and now I'm craving that!

I was reading other threads and everyone said how much they are disgusted by meat. That's my thing- I'm not disgusted. If I smell it, it still smells good. If I see it (some things), it still looks good. Is this wrong of me?

I totally believe in vegetarianism and I know eating meat is wrong and I have no desire, morally, to eat it again, and yet I still crave it sometimes. Has anyone else been like this? Am I just not cut out to be vegetarian???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Most of us have gone through those periods. Don't beat yourself up about it. I still have moments when I really want that pepperoni pizza or whatever, and I've been veg*n almost 10 years.

Recognize that you DIDN'T cave in and eat meat. Your morals and ideals won out. You can count on yourself to make the right decision.

It gets easier, I promise!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 10-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not wrong of you at all. You just need to give yourself some more time; it's only been 3 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2005, 01:50 AM

oh ive been having those moments aswell.. but then im a new veggie... my suggestion.. make the veggie equivilent... if you was spaghetti and meat balls.. make it.. with soy meatballs... im sure you get them... i really get cravings for ribs.. which was my "craving food" before.. and sitting with people while theyre eating them.. is hard... but im not willing to go back just for the taste of ribs.. i make something really decadent.. and if youre craving a certain type of meat.. like buffalo wings.. or spaghetti and meatballs.. usually what you crave is the taste... so make a tomato sauce.. and have it with mushrooms.. and pasta.. the mushrooms give you the density of meat... and you get the pasta taste... same thing with buffalo wings.. take a BBQ sauce.. make it with chicken sustitute... and add the BBQ sauce.. hey presto.. satisfies the craving..

i find when a smell reminds me.. and i crave.. im usually craving the sauce.. NOT the meat.. so just add a veggie alternative sauce to a veggie meal..

and dont worry.. i have the.. "am i cut out to do this .. for life?? " even the "what was i thinking" and then i remember the animals.. and im .. ohhhhh right... thats what im doing

keep strong.. and just remember you dont have to be perfect all the time.
#5 Old 10-01-2005, 04:29 AM
Administrator

Watch the videos again.

If you're craving something in particular simply make a meat-free version of it using a meat replacement. Hopefully that'll get it out of your system.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#6 Old 10-01-2005, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiedawn404 View Post

I was reading other threads and everyone said how much they are disgusted by meat. That's my thing- I'm not disgusted. If I smell it, it still smells good. If I see it (some things), it still looks good. Is this wrong of me?

I totally believe in vegetarianism and I know eating meat is wrong and I have no desire, morally, to eat it again, and yet I still crave it sometimes. Has anyone else been like this? Am I just not cut out to be vegetarian???

Wow, angiedawn404, is this me talking?! I go through the EXACT same thing. Sometimes I just think it would be better to be on a "low meat" diet instead of full vegetarian because life isn't about being perfect, it's about being happy. I'm not telling you to eat meat, but if you do slip up don't go crazy and think you're a failure.
#7 Old 10-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

i dotn think that "not cut out to be a vegetarian" is an excuse to eat meat. i know you dindt, and im not saying you're going to or anything liek that... it's just - wahtever you want to do - that's what you're going to end up doing.

It's not programed into anyone, genetically, whether yo u'll be a successful veg*n. you decide tht for yourself. so that's not an excuse.

when i first started veg. i just stopped thinking about it as food. 'casue in my mind it was just decaying flesh that had to suffer SO much to be there. it just wanst food in my mind at all! thats how i got through it.
#8 Old 10-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Agreed with the above post: It is totally your choice.

I, personally, never crave meat anymore. My parents are not vegan, or even vegetarian, so I am constantly around them eating meat and drinking milk and such. Lately I have developed a bad, BAD sense for meat. Example: Whenever they cook meat, I get sick of the smell. Smells like I could imagine burning flesh would smell.... EWW...

My advice is, along with Mikes, just watch the videos again. Keep strong and remember why you are at this. You aren't the only one, my friend. Get some meat substitutes, and make them up in your favorite ways. Hey, if this whole world were Veg, we would be a lot better off, and a lot more appreciated!
#9 Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

You probably have read the "Could you eat meat?" thread started by Tesseract, but there's another thread in the Food Discussion forum where we've been discussing various veg foods that taste a lot like meat:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=40145

This one was started by Katmango a few months back; several of us re-visited it recently. If you crave fish, there was a thread on one of these forums about vegan foods to satisfy that craving too, but I haven't found that yet. I remember someone in it recommended a "fish" stick carried by the Hannaford supermarket chain.

I don't have the vegetarian cookbook by Linda McCartney, but I've heard that it has a lot of recipes that satisfy meat cravings. You might want to get it out of the library, and purchase a copy if it suits you.

One of my favorite cookbooks is still Frances Moore Lappe's "Diet For A Small Planet", which was first published around 1970 and might be out of print. The recipes aren't usually very meaty-tasting, though, and will frequently require modifications if you want to make them vegan- but they are good and simple.

Many meat substitutes are soy-based, and some of us have wondered about health effects of soy in excessive amounts; but that's a discussion for another thread. However, I recently had an "un-roast beef" sandwich that was made of Seitan; I think it was probably a bit too dry to pass for even well-done roast beef, but it was good.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 10-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiedawn404 View Post

I've been veg for almost 3 months now. When I first started I watched the videos, I read the books, and I was really grossed out by meat and had absolutely no desire to touch it again. Well, in the last week now I've been craving it again. I had been craving a buffalo chicken sub so we went to the store and bought faux chicken and made our own subs at home which was really, really good and quenched that craving. But then at the grocery store today I was in the aisle with the spaghetti and meatballs, and not thinking at all (lack of sleep for 4 days, hard day at work, etc.) I just put the cans in my cart and started to go off. . . I got to the end of the aisle and thought, "Wait a minute...spaghetti and meatballs..." and had to go put the cans back. I don't know what I was thinking, but in my mind I really wanted them and now I'm craving that!

I have plenty of meaty cravings, and like you, I can't say I dislike the taste of all meats. The thing I have found though, is that my food cravings, meat or otherwise, are usually more mental than physical. Perhaps, you should try exploring why you are craving these foods. It could be anything from nostalgia, to feeling socially isolated, to just letting yourself get too dang hungry. Get to the route of the problem and you should find the particular issue that truly needs to be addressed.
#11 Old 10-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks guys for the support. I think a lot of the reason is because I'm starting to get sick of eating the same thing over and over again. I know I've said, "If I see another piece of lettuce, I'm going to. . . . ". Ha. I need to start exploring more and trying new recipes and trying to actually cook. . . I did this with making the faux buffalo chicken subs. Now, I just need to learn to start doing it more. I was getting bored with the lack of variety, and I guess that's making me think of my old ways again...

Also, I will watch the videos again and try reading another book. This helped so much when I first started so I guess I need a "refresher" to remind myself why I stopped eating meat to begin with.
#12 Old 10-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

When I first went veggie I had cravings too, the best thing is to eat the fake version of it! That totally helped me a lot, buying fake chicken patties, fake chicken nuggets, ect. There's a veggie equivilent to almost everything, and after you eat it enough soon you won't even think of the "real" version anymore, you'll just crave the fake For example now when I see someone eating chicken, either I'll think it's gross, or it makes me think "I wish I had some fake chicken", but I never actually want the chicken itself.

Anyway, some of the best tasting brands are Morningstar Farms, Boca Burgers, and Quorn.
#13 Old 10-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't worry. If you really believe in vegetarianism, the craving will go away soon. Remember what an obvious choice that is in the end- it is wrong to take the most precious thing that we all have, i.e LIFE from the animal, just to satisfy your craving for some taste. How simple is that ? Just meditate on that, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

LOve to all of you guys. We are changing the world with what we do (or rather with what we don't do
#14 Old 10-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I am vegan and sometimes I get craving for cheese But I never buy it. You will get used to it. It gets much easier with time. Not even that the craving goes away (because it may not), but your moral happiness gets bigger and bigger with time ))!
#15 Old 10-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I find that when I craving something it often means that I'm not getting enough of some nutrient or another. So I try to eat something veg with lots of that nutrient. Usually when I crave meat its because I haven't been eating well and I need protein. If I'm just craving something because I remember it tasting good then I try to find a subsitute.
#16 Old 10-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey, most of us have been there before. Don't sweat it, just keep strong and keep to your moral values. As others have said, make fake versions to help curb those cravings, and explore new foods. After a while you will condition your body to not crave meat. It does get easier with time, and it mostly becomes second nature. It does take a lot of work to change eating habbits. I think the key here eating different foods. A cookbook helps with this. Good luck.
#17 Old 10-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, Arilark might be right. Maybe you should look if you are getting enough protein?
#18 Old 10-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Beginner

Well, I have hope for you. I have been a vegetarian for the past 9 months, and every now and then I would REALLY crave meat, but I would eat a soyburger or something. Today marked by 3/4 of a year of vegetarianism (one of my goals) so I went to outback steakhouse tonite and got chicken and ribs and you know what? I tasted it, and it wasn't really special. My body felt weighed down, and my hands starting throbbing like they were too cold. These last three months of the year are the last three months I will ever eat meat, so I guess I should take advantage of it, but I realized I don't have to if I really don't want to. Even though I made these goals years ago, I still have control over what I eat. Good luck on roughing it out, I have found it usually gets better over time, even though now and then you might have very strong cravings. At those times, I would eat something like peanut butter or soy that has a lot of protein, or eat fake meat and tell yourself it's just like meat.
#19 Old 10-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Beginner

Besides meat alternatives (TVP, soy burgers, etc.) there are other ways to satisfy your cravings. As someone else mentioned, it's usually the sauce, not the meat that you're really craving.

So, when I drive past the BBQ chicken wings place near my home, and I get a craving for that, I go home and make a baked potato and throw some (vegan) BBQ sauce on it. Yummy.

Same thing with fish - I don't really miss the fish per se, I miss the cocktail sauce and the tartar sauce - but I can make or buy vegan versions of those and eat them with french fries.

Think of all the things you would put on meat - A1 sauce, Worcestershire sauce, various BBQ sauces, teriyaki, lemon/pepper flavorings - try putting them on veggies or potatoes or something.

You can also find 'chicken' or 'beef' broth made with all vegan ingredients - cook rice in the broth, and that can help you deal with cravings too.

Hope those suggestions help, and good luck!
#20 Old 10-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Beginner

I would check out the photo gallery at farm sanctuary in addition to watching the meat your meat video.They have a lot of pictures of healthy happy farm animals that are very well cared for.Maybe if you made the connection between these animals and the miserable factory farmed animals,your cravings would go away?
#21 Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a hard time both times I went veg. The first was when I was 19 (veg for 4 years), then 3 years ago (I'm 35). You're used to foods you've been eating your whole life, some people can quit animal ingredients overnight and not have a problem, others always want that Chicken Sandwich from Wendy's (or whatever it is) until the craving goes away.

I love the Boca Italian sausages when I've got a serious meat craving. I can put sauerkraut and mustard on them and they ROCK!

Make sure you're getting enough iron, too. A lack of iron will make you crave meat.
#22 Old 10-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Meat cravings can be your body's way of telling you "HEY I NEED MORE PROTIEN". Are you getting enough plant-based protein? Are you using complementary protiens in the same meals (bean and complex carbs or complex carbs and dairy)? If not, tweak your diet and the cravings should stop.
#23 Old 10-07-2005, 10:06 PM

Part of me is disgusted with meat. Part of me likes the smell just like you. I used to crave it, but I don't really anymore. A lot of the time when we get hungry for meat, what we are really hungry for is protein. I am not saying this is for sure what is happening with you, but it could be possible. Try getting in ample amounts of protein through nuts, seeds, beans, lentils, tofu, and fake meats and perhaps the cravings will subside. By the way, those fake meats everyone mentions...they wouldn't exist if vegetarians didn't sometimes get meat cravings There is nothing wrong with you!
#24 Old 10-07-2005, 10:07 PM

Okay so I just repeated what Morna said, in part. Sorry, I didn't see her post. Oopsie!
#25 Old 10-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I crave "meat like" foods so I eat the soy equivilants. There are tons out there that will satisfy your craving. Make a "meat" sauce with veggie crumbles (I love Lightlife) and pour it over pasta or make a boca burger all american griller and top it with all your favorite burger toppings.

Now I'm hungry.
#26 Old 10-11-2005, 01:45 PM

Also for myself i find that its the gravy i miss not the meats, so i make my own veggie gravy and it is yummy( like creamy mushroom gravy over mashed taters...YUM)
#27 Old 10-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I'm very fortunate, because in the nearly 8 months I've been veg, I've had maybe 5 minutes of meat cravings on a very few occasions. I've always loved vegetables, and the only times I've felt really deprived are when I'm looking at a restaurant menu and there are 50 things with meat and 2 without. Edit: And even then ,what I feel deprived of isn't meat per se, but merely choices.

I suspect that when we crave a favorite meat dish, what we really crave is usually just the total flavor experience of that dish, which can often be recreated without meat. Early on, I made fajitas with marinated grilled veggies instead of our customary chicken, and I was amazed at how much of my enjoyment of fajitas came from all the other stuff rather than the chicken itself. Ditto lasagna and white chili. So creating meatless versions of our favorite foods can be really helpful.

I'd also recommend identifying a couple of vegetarian comfort foods that make you feel really cozy and happy, no matter how junky they may be, and turning to them occasionally when you feel truly dissatisfied with other foods and you need a lift.
#28 Old 10-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Doing well. . . My cravings just passed somehow and I'm feeling a lot better. I hope they don't come back!
#29 Old 10-11-2005, 05:45 PM

I've been veg for about a million years and, on occasion, I still get a meat craving. Usually it is when I have let myself get too hungry, which I seem to keep doing. They usually pass on their own or I do what everyone else says and make a veg alternative.
#30 Old 10-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I might be shot for saying it, but go ahead and try to eat some meat.

I remember when I was young, I was convinced I was dying of AIDS because I was always so sick and I had unprotected fun. For a year, rather than get tested I accepted my fate and such until I went to the dentist because a tooth was bothering me.

Turns out, that tooth was the source of all my problems. It had a bad cavity that was making me ill. Immediately after getting the tooth taken care of, I felt good again, like I never had before! I swear I was born again that day. I was happy to know I was not dying and that I was sick for a specific reason, so when I was out at a Perkins diner late night with friends, I decided to buy a chicken fried platter to help my body recover the year of being constantly ill.

When the meal arrived, I was telling my friends that I felt I needed to eat this for my health and that it was only one chicken and a one time deal. Well, I could *not* eat it. It was about 13 years ago, in fact I had forgotten it happened until a friend reminded me recently, but yeah, I took one bite and it tasted soooooo wrong. It was like trying to eat my own finger or a chewing on my own tongue.

I was veggie for about a year at that point, but I wouldn't be suprised if the same thing happens to you. If it doesn't gross you out, well, there is nothing wrong with being a carnivore -- either way it's all up to you.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page