Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Beginner

What is vegan fast food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

What I like to do is bring stuff with me in the car if I think I'm going to be a while. A cold water bottle (a couple of hours in the freezer beforehand keeps it cold), fruit, cut up before hand if it's messy, a sandwich, thermos of soup, etc.

Taco Bell can give you a burrito that is free of meat and dairy, you just have to specify what you want and do not want. Umm, you can get salads at some places... fast food places don't have much in the way of interesting vegan food, unfortunately. Another good thing is to just go to a grocery store, many have ready-to-go foods, and there are more vegan options there.
#3 Old 09-04-2005, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Taco Bell bean burritos minus cheese. Fazoli's spaghetti marinara. Side salads of course.

That's all I can think of right this second.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2005, 08:52 PM

I'm still fairly new to a vegan way of eating, myself, so I have to answer in the form of questions...

Are Subway Veggie Delight sandwiches vegan? I suppose that has everything to do with the bread and dressing, but are non-honey breads vegan? (Those are what we usually veer toward when we're on the road.)

Also, does anyone know about Chipotle's burritos? No cheese or sour cream, obviously, but what of the tortillas (lard?) or beans or guacamole?

mmm.....Chipotles.....

Ruby Tuesdays have a pretty substantial salad bar, depending on what one does and does not like, plus they have some veggie options on the menu now, including an "Eat Your Veggies" platter, though, from my last experience there, beware the very delectable mashed cauliflower, as I'm pretty confident they are dairy-riddled. Again, though, I'm not terribly informed about their menu, so if there are hidden ingredients I'm flaking on... feel free to bash me about the head and shoulders as needed...
#5 Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Beginner

Moe's and Subway for me.
#6 Old 09-04-2005, 09:02 PM

I've been carrying food around with me everywhere i go for the past 2 months lol.....Usually I just carry a lunchbox with a frozen water bottle, some non-messy fruits, like strawberries or bananas, or apples. Stuff that when i munch out isn't gonna drip all over my clothing haha. I carry around carrot sticks alot. They have cute little spongebob individual packs...and im a sucker for spongebob. :P I usually pack a sandwich too, and subway is great for a quick filling veggie subbbb mmmmmm with lots of spinach, and cucumber, and ok im hungry now! Gonna go eat
#7 Old 09-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Beginner

yeah, Subway for me, too, or I'll just brown-bag a bean burrito.
#8 Old 09-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Ankle Biter

Love Taco Bell! Bean Burrito, no cheese, no onions, three fire sauces - wo hoo! And a diet coke!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 09-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

i like the taco bell bean burritos without cheese. they're vegan and super cheap: 89 cents a piece or 8 dollars if you buy ten. and chipotles is also vegan to my understanding.

subway breads aren't vegan, they have diary and eggs. unless something has changed since i last checked a few years ago. but you can get salads at subway.

pappa john's dough and sauce are vegan, and you can order pizza without cheese. i work there, so when we get to take home unpicked up or undeliverable orders, i take the breadsticks and use pizza sauce and garlic sauce.

when i travel internationally i bring luna bars with me because they'll last a long time and i can bring a good supply.
#10 Old 09-04-2005, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Subway bread is addressed in this thread. https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ghlight=subway

(I really didn't mean to rhyme. Sorry!)
#11 Old 09-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfasts when I'm traveling are the hardest. (Though I think we addressed that in another thread some time back...).

I have a small cooler I pack with stuff when I'm going to be on the road - almost always organic ice tea, bagels, hummus, sprouts, carrot juice and some fruit. (I especially LOVE those small pints of fresh raspberries ).

Anyway, yeah, I can live on all those goodies for several days...

Taco Bell Burritos are a desperate last measure when my kids are absolutely dying of hunger (which they think is every day...). Grocery stores - as mentioned above - have better options...
#12 Old 09-05-2005, 09:25 AM

I would have to agree, my vegan favorites include Taco Bell (bean burrito with no cheese), Subway (white bread, no cheese, with sweet onion sauce and veggies), Chipotle (veggie fajita with beans, rice, green chile, lettuce and guacamole--their corn mix is not vegan). I've recently discovered the mongolian grill also....pile up all your veggies and watch them cook! I use the garlic and hot sauces.....they assure me the mongolian sauce is vegan, but I just don't know...the sugar in it scares me.
#13 Old 09-05-2005, 09:49 AM

Silk makes smoothies that are really good and filling. The rasberry is awesome. They do have a lot of sugar but they are lowfat and have good sources of protein and fiber. They are perfect in the morning or as meal replacement once in a while.
#14 Old 09-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Beginner

I *love* Bruegger's Bagels. Some of the bagels are vegan; the rosemary olive oil, chocolate chip, pumpernickel, blueberry, cranberry, orange and cinnamon sugar. You can get a bagel with hummus and veggies. Its so good.

Here's a list of veg*n options at fast food places: http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.ne...stFoodRest.htm
#15 Old 09-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Beginner

and I will carry a box of Raisin Bran for breakfast and stop at a Taco Bell on the way home Wednesday! Where I live the hospital is two hours away, so this was important. Thanks everyone.
#16 Old 09-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat anything vegan while travelling, except taco bell, because that stuff tastes like garbage. I've never had problems, and I rarely pack food.

I often stop at chinese places and get something with tofu. Or else I stop at pizza places and get cheeseless pizzas after I check that the dough and sauce are vegan (almost always). Pasta, if it is dry pasta, is vegan 99% of the time. Sometimes, they tell me the pasta isn't vegan, then I demand to check the box myself, and find out it is. I get that with olive oil, tomatoes, and salt if I don't trust the place too much: otherwise I get marinara.

The trick is not to ask if the food if "vegan", but to ask for the ingredient list in fast food places, or for specific food offenders for family joints.

After a while you can get creative and have some really fun meals. While travelling out west, we stopped at a tex-mex joint, ordered the veggie burrito, sans cheese, and substituted the fries (cooked and made with veggie oil). It was a huge load of beans, french fries, tomatoes, avocado, lettuce, garnished with cilantro wraped in wheat tortilla. It was great!
#17 Old 09-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

i spent two weeks in various costa rican hotels this past june, and when they didn't have rice and beans at the buffet, i'd mash up bananas and mix it with cereal instead of milk so i didn't have to eat the cereal dry. breakfast is hard. :/
#18 Old 09-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Ooh, I forgot about chinese places. Even if tofu is not on the menu, I've asked before if they could cook me something with tofu/bean curd (either a dish with tofu instead of the meat, or tofu and vegetables with garlic sauce), and they have no problem doing so. Though I've wondered why they don't put it on the menu if it's there.
#19 Old 09-06-2005, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat at subway. I pretend not to know the breads 'might not be vegan'. I refuse to starve over a bit of a chemical in bread.
#20 Old 09-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

Here is an awesome list to help you. You can even buy it in book form but the author was nice enough to post a lot of information online:

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.ne...stFoodRest.htm
#21 Old 09-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I bring food with me wherever I go, even if it's something as simple as a pb & j sandwich and a piece of fruit. On a longer trip I bring a cooler with me with different foods. I just try not to bring highly perishable items. I wouldn't put fast food near my mouth unless I was desperate.
#22 Old 09-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually bring food with me wherever I go to (if its a long distance trip). Stuff like all-natural/whole grain granola bars or even pb on a tortilla works for me. However, if I have to stop and get something, I may get plain pizza or a salad (w/ no meat, of course).
#23 Old 09-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Just have to vent.... Today I didn't have time to pack lunch. So on my lunchbreak, I went to Taco Cabana. I ordered a side dish of black beans. The lady handed me a bowl of red beans - which would be fine except they were cooked with ham or something in them. I kindly told her I ordered black beans and asked her to correct this. She took the bowl, dumped the red beans w/meat and put black beans back in the same bowl. I noticed this after sitting down, so I got up and took the bowl back to them. I kindly asked them again to provide me with a new, clean bowl of black beans and explained that I do not eat meat. They acted offended. They couldn't get my order right, but they acted like I had just done something horrible. *garrrrr* Not going back there again.
#24 Old 09-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! Chiptole's safe!! My husband and I like Chipotle, though we've not been there in awhile. This is especially important because it seems as though we're running out of places to eat. Okay, I'm running out of places to eat. I'm quite upset that Applebee's is barely vegetarian, let alone veg*n. (The Applebee's in Columbus have a half price drink/appetizer happy hour. We used to go there for dinner.) Ugh.

Moe's is okay because they offer tofu. However, we ate a Moe's a two or three times after they opened, and decided that we didn't like them as well as Chipotle.

Because I still eat some dairy, McD's is okay for the fruit and yogurg parfait. It's barely worth the $.99. The fruit and yogurt salad is not worth the $3 I thought.

Ironically, steak reastaurants seem to be doable. Longhorn, where I ate with the omni in-laws and husband last week, has a nice list of veggie sides. My baked sweet potato, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots; and rice pilaf(okay, I'm not sure in what the rice was cooked, I should have said something, but I had a rare moment of self-consciousness in front of the in-laws; I just prayed that it was "safe"; It was good.) was satisfying and cheap. ($6 and still half the price of everybody else's meals.)

Yeah, I'm learning to take food with me (natural PB and organic fruit spread on ww bread makes for a yummy meal) or to eat before hand.
#25 Old 09-08-2005, 08:10 PM

Subway, of course. Taco Bell, of course. Burger King has a veggie burger (in my are at least). La Salsa has a veggie burrito, vegetarian tacos, and a bean burrito. They have a taco salad, and when i asked for it with no chicken, they asked me if I wanted peppers and onions instead! How nice of them, I was gonna take it with just the beans, lettuce, and tomato. Chinese is good too : General Tso tofu, Vegetable Lo Mein, vegetable chow mein, and vegetable mei fun. Quiznos has a veggie sub with guacamole and vegetables. Blimpie has a veggie patty similar to Subways.

When I do the roadtrip to Florida, I think i'll do pretty good with Subway, Quiznos, taco bell, and supermarkets.
#26 Old 09-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quiznos is vegan? I didn't realise that. *puts them back on the list of possible places to eat*

At Subway, the roasted garlic bread vegan and I think the Italian one is vegan, too (unless it changed again?).

It really depends on where I'm at when I'm on the road. Some towns are easier to get vegan food than others. If I can't find anything that looks decent I'll head to a Taco Bell for their bean burritos. Every town has at least one Taco Bell, but that hasn't happened too often cause I've got a reputation of being able to find anything, anywhere.

Mongolian BBQ is my favorite and any chance I get, that's the first place I try to seek out. If Mongolian is out, then I go for Chinese or Mexican. American places are last on my personal list because most of the stuff there isn't very compatable and a lot of all-you-can-eat places scare the bugjuices out of me (everything's swimming in butter - ick!).

That didn't really answer your question too well, did it?
#27 Old 09-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Banned

Again, check the link i posted, it really helps!! ;-)
#28 Old 09-09-2005, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Quiznos is vegan?

I don't know. I'm not vegan, so I never thought about it. I'm sure someone here knows, and I would also be interested in finding out what items are Vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page