I just started being vegetarian... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Beginner

Ive been looking at different recipies, and i cant eat something that was murdered, luckily im allowed to do this and im eating near the meateaters in my family...is that good or bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2005, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

idon't know, is it good or bad?

all of my family is omnivorous. my husband is omnivorous. i eat near and with meat eaters all the time. i don't think it's bad.

there are lots of recipes here at VB that are easy and tastey. check around.

welcome to the boards.
#3 Old 09-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Beginner

It's a personal choice. If you feel really strongly about your choice, and you can't deal with meateaters, sit in the other room. Respect their choices, ask for respect in return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Beginner

The first book i bought after deciding to become a vegetarian was "Vegetables Rock!: A complete guide for teenage vegetarians" it was very helpful with learning how to live a vegetarian lifestyle and has great recipes for yummy veggie foods. Consider buying it. Good Luck!
#5 Old 09-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's good, unless you can get to a point where you never have to eat in front of meat eaters. It's good practise to stay tolerant, because intolerance of other people eating meat doesn't help anything.
#6 Old 09-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Banned

Well if you're mainly doing it for animals and are disgusted by the sight of meat, it might be kind of hard to sit and look at people eating it. For me, i'm not being a vegetarian for animals. I'm doing it for heathy, so it really wouldn't bother me.

I don't know what to tell you. I guese it's your choice if you want to eat with them or not
#7 Old 09-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Beginner

I agree with Elena. We live in a world of meat eater's, so we have to at least tolerate them, or they will feel the same about veg*nism. My family is omni ('cept me of course, I'm vegan), and they usually only cook meat on the weekends. I personally cannot stand the sight or smell, but we all have to live with/around meat eater's so I just try to tolerate it. Or when we have company (this happened this weekend) and the conversation is on the topic of how *some form of dead animal cooked a certain way* is SOOOOOO good, I simply finish my food, get up and leave. No vegan should have to listen to how breaded pork is delicious.
#8 Old 09-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Beginner

okay, i just hopoe my uncle doesnt yell at me......poor animals......
#9 Old 09-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Just look him straight in the eye and say calmly "You can yell all you want, but my mind is made up. I'm doing this for the animals, and my conscience is clear." Hopefully, that will stop his yelling.

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 09-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Beginner

no, i cant look him in the eyes......hes too........scary......and mean.....those faces he makes...............
#11 Old 09-05-2005, 06:19 PM

All of the members of my family are omnivores (apart from moi, I'm a vegan) but I don't find it a problem sitting near to them, unless they start talking (as mentioned in other posts) about how great the meat is... If you find it a problem, maybe you could ask if you could eat in a different room? Or at a different time from the rest of your family.

peace and love amy-jane xx
#12 Old 09-07-2005, 11:49 PM

I agree with everyone here, your best choice would be to sit in another room.
#13 Old 09-30-2005, 04:21 AM
Beginner

My uncle yelled at me, I must eat with them so they can ask me things......And Im getting sick somehow..........Id like to report a movie for abuse of animals "Napolean Dynamite" Its terrible........And im sussposed to be a Vegan but people secretly gave me things with a little milk or.....egg whites..............I forced myself to eat it so I wouldnt get in trouble.....my uncle yells at me saying what am i going to eat and....
#14 Old 09-30-2005, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

tell him to go F himself.

seriously. sometimes, you gotta be mean back.
#15 Old 09-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry you are taking abuse for your dietary choices. Be STRONG and stand up for what you believe in. I know easier said than done, but you have to try to be strong.
#16 Old 09-30-2005, 05:37 PM

Congrats! I've just started re-being a vegetarian, and I have a meat-eating family who doesn't quite understand either. Some good advice is to NOT make a big deal about them eating meat, and maybe they won't make a big deal about you not. It's also a good idea not to excuse yourself to go eat in the other room, or anything like that and saying something like "I can't stand seeing a dead animal on the table". It's better to just say "I'd like to eat in the other room" and not make a BIG deal about it.

Also, it's a good idea not to bring up big issues with people simply because they eat meat and you don't. If they ask you a question, try not to make it sound like you're better than them. The slightest little thing like "I could never eat that" or anything like that could make the other person think that you think less of them because they would eat it.

I started my veggie-voyage when I was a teenager too. I'll be 21 next week and I can say it gets better as you get older because you can buy your own food and they'll know your serious about it after a while.

I'm going to tell you know that some people may give you a hard time about your decision, and all I can say is stick with it because if you give in you might feel bad (I know).

Good luck!
#17 Old 09-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry people around you are making it so difficult. I remember when I first turned veg and I couldn't believe some of the stuff people said to me.

The best advise that I can give you is to try to stay firm. It's tough at first to not eat something someone is giving you, or to say "No, I don't believe in eating that", if you stay true to it;people will eventually realize that your decision to not eat meat isn't going to change. People eventually get tired of their little jokes and put downs, and become more accomidating to your choices.

Good luck on dealing with everything, and know that you always have a whole bunch of friendly ears here!
#18 Old 10-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Beginner

My grampa makes me wanna die they were eating steak he says "sometimes i can see the cows eyes looking at me and i can hear it moo" then he kept saying "moo" they laughed or said cool and i just walked away.........
#19 Old 10-13-2005, 01:48 PM

I've been on & off & on again lacto-ovo veggie for yrs.

At the moment there are 10 omnis living in this household and we all seem to eat at different times of the day (all day long), so it's not as if we all sit down together for dinner.

This week, I cooked up some mixed dry beans in 2 slow-cookers and added onions, garlic, carrots, stewed tomatoes, & spices. Course only 1 other family member would try it. Everyone is to fussy and either don't like beans or tomatoes or complained when I refused to cut up hot dogs in it...with no room in frig for leftovers cuz it's stocked with omni food (bologna, sausage, hamburger, eggs, mayo,....etc. So I ended up giving some to a neighbor.

Yesterday, an omni cooked up the last of the rice....with hamburger mixed in it...Any thing that looks, smells or has the words Tofu/soy on it will bring whines & complaints.

How would ya get your family to eat more veggie meals? and yes they have seen or heard about every reason that veggies have given for being veggie.
#20 Old 10-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you should just not mention vegetarianism around them and just be really cool with them eating meat, even if you aren't really. They won't respect you unless you respect them. I am sorry they are saying those things to you, but the most you can do is ignore them and tell them that they are being mean and to stop. Good luck.
#21 Old 10-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

my first book, too! i still have it and it comes in META handy in the dorms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post

The first book i bought after deciding to become a vegetarian was "Vegetables Rock!: A complete guide for teenage vegetarians" it was very helpful with learning how to live a vegetarian lifestyle and has great recipes for yummy veggie foods. Consider buying it. Good Luck!

#22 Old 10-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

My advice is don't get in the habit of eating away from your family. With the world the way it is, sometimes meals are the only time we see each other anymore. These people are prolly going to be part of your life until they die or you do. You don't want to spoil those relationships.
#23 Old 10-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Beginner

I never talk about being vegan to them, they bring it up...in the morning my uncle asks whst I had for breakfast and he says "no, eggs, bacon..........."

ANd every time I try explaining how animals feel, THEY START FIGHTING, and get mad at me for no reason at all, I cant say anything without a fight, or my grampa, a debate..........I cant wait until Friday, I cant wait to leave, far, far away......
#24 Old 10-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

You say you explain how you feel? That could be it. Last night I was with friends and my one rather judgmental friend said, "oh I forgot you're VEGAN. Why are you vegan?" and he said it really condescendingly. And I felt really uncomfortable, so I just said it's a personal choice and we all moved on. Sometimes, not explaining can avoid fights.

I know it seems like I am telling you not to stand up for your convictions, but I'm not. When they genuinely ASK you why you are vegan, then by all means talk to them about it! But, when people are being nasty, they WILL take anything you say as an offense. This is just from my experience. Good luck hun!
#25 Old 10-17-2005, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Heh-heh. I know this is dumb, but I had an idea for a response to "why are you vegan" for those annoying people... "because it bothers you so much." Maybe they'd stop bringing it up after that. Or not.
#26 Old 10-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Beginner

They will not....theyre not even vegan...im the only one in this place...thats how it feels at least.......even in school........well, noone knows yet, but i hear them talk about how they hate vegans and.....
#27 Old 10-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

how and why does your uncle have any control over what you eat? is he your guardian and if not why can you not politely yet firmly refuse to eat what he offers you? i really do not understand this.
#28 Old 10-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

My family are all omni and my mom usually cooks meat for dinner... the smell usually makes me feel a bit sick while she is cooking is, but I don't mind eating with them. I enjoy my cow-free dinner and they enjoy their plates full of skeleton. The only problem I really, really have with living with an omni family is that sometimes she will ask me to cook and we'll have a bit of a fight about it, but I do my best.

I love a great big salad with tons of veggies (my favorite, green pepper...yum!) and kraft dressings are vegan too!

If you're not ready for vegan yet, load your salad up with shredded cheese too!
#29 Old 10-21-2005, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstar View Post

They will not....theyre not even vegan...im the only one in this place...thats how it feels at least.......even in school........well, noone knows yet, but i hear them talk about how they hate vegans and.....

Wow How can you hate another person just because of what they eat, or don't eat? That's like saying "OH! That person over there is eating cheetos, they're evil." It's silly! Both of my parents are omni and I love them just the same, tell your family that you respect their decision of eating meat and they need to respect yours!
#30 Old 10-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Beginner

Okay.....But I CANNOT but I must....ignore what my grampa says about how he sees the cows eyes looking at him and he hears them say moo, when eating their bodies he says that.....they laughed...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page