~Packing Own Food?~ - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2005, 02:13 PM

I have a question about lunchs, or food I should pack or bring with me on trips to other people's houses and whatnot. In case they are making something I cannot eat, or want to eat... what are some suggestions of things I can bring with myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Pita + hummus or nut butter and jelly

Finger veggies or fruit

Any suitable sandwich

Left-overs

My personal favorite: ww bagel with almond butter and banana slices.
#3 Old 08-30-2005, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the input! (=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Make couscous with your vegetables of choice; tomato chunks, avocado chunks, chopped olives, asparagus, spinach, etc. You can put it in a little container and it's good at room temperature, too.
#5 Old 08-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

if you're going over to someone's house you could make something like pasta, rice and beans, fried tofu... anything you'd eat as leftovers really. they'll probably have a microwave you can use, but i think a lot of "hot" foods taste good cold too!

when i'm travelling somewhere i'm not familar with, and i need something that will last me awhile, i bring a bunch of luna bars.
#6 Old 08-31-2005, 10:08 AM
bad
Veggie Regular

Leftovers+pitas=goodness
#7 Old 08-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by _-pSyLoCkE-_ View Post

I have a question about lunchs, or food I should pack or bring with me on trips to other people's houses and whatnot. In case they are making something I cannot eat, or want to eat... what are some suggestions of things I can bring with myself?

Well, this answer is probably more complex than you needed, but i'll tell you what i do.

If i'm going over to a person's home for dinner and they are not preparing anything vegetarian, then i prepare a simple soup and salad to share with everyone.

If i'm going over to someone's house for a visit and we are not necessarily eating, but i may get hungry during that time, i take fruit and nuts with me.

If i'm going on a hike or other sort of outdoor activity, i usually take fruit and raw granola with me.

If i'm going out for a day and i do not know if food will be available to me, i tend to make a number of salads: tomato, cucumber, onion with olive oil, vinegar, and sea salt; chickpeas, red pepper, red onion, parsley with vinegar and olive oil; mixed greens with pine nuts and citris fruit; nuts and fruit.

If i'm visiting a friend for the weekend, i'll take a whole lot of groceries: frozen--mixed berries, tropical mixed fruit, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, and stir fry mix; not frozen--nuts, seeds, beans (usually sprouted and unsprouted), fresh fruit, mixed greens and salad trimmings, eggs, dairy products (yogurt and cheese usually), sprouted bread or tortillas. generally, while visiting friends, i prepare the meals throughout the weekend (except meat). this is why i bring so much.

if i'm simply taking my food around for the day, i carry fruit and nuts, hard boiled eggs, cheese, a large salad of some sort (which also includes beans or beans are in a separate salad), silverware, a napkin (cloth), and also water. That usually lasts me the whole day. Sometimes, i make iced tea with lime to carry around with me.

Does this help?
#8 Old 08-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

california rolls, very good and cheap especially if you roll your own.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#9 Old 09-06-2005, 04:41 PM

I heat up a potato in the microwave in the morning wrap it in aluminum foil, then heat up some vegetarian chili and put it in a thermos, and put it together at lunch time.
#10 Old 09-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Convience foods are often good for this purpose even if they aren't the most healthy thing to eat.
#11 Old 09-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Beginner

curries and rice!!!!!

especially daals and chana, aloo gobi is nice too, i like them because i find they taste better reheated

indian food is easy to pack, but be sure you have locking tupperware, sometimes the oil (and yellow from the turmeric) can get everywhere... BIG stain
#12 Old 09-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

My cooler gets filled with pretty much the same thing no matter what I'm doing or where I'm headed - if I think I won't get a vegan meal:

Hummus (usually a couple kinds)

Bagels

Sprouts (usually alfalfa that I grow, or brocolli sprouts that I buy)

Iced Tea and/or Natural Sodas (like the "Blue Sky" ones, I love those)

Fruit (Usually grapes, apples and fresh blueberries or my FAVE - raspberries)

Carrot Juice

Couple Luna bars or Primal Strips if I'm feeling extravagent

Silk Coffee Creamer for my coffee

With the above I can have a complete meal, or just snack during the day as needed - pretty all-purpose and I've survived days on it when there was basically nothing else I wanted to/could eat...
#13 Old 09-07-2005, 09:29 PM

Now, it also depends were you are going. If you visiting ahead of time, let them know that you are vegan or Vegetarian and sometimes if you are lucky. They have something else for you to eat. But, it always good to make a habit to eat something before you go somewhere you never know.......
#14 Old 10-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree that you should very politely inform your hoast ahead of time, and let him or her know you can deal with your own needs and he or she doesn't have to make a whole extra meal for you (though if your host wants to, don't refuse...that's rude too). You could, for example, bring a soy protien shake to make sure you get enough protein, then just eat the bread and veggies served at other people's houses. That's what I did on Thanksgiving one year.
#15 Old 10-07-2005, 10:00 PM

I will take anything at all for lunch (family and friends should be understanding). It really depends on my mood, and how long I am going to be away from home. Sometimes fresh fruit or veggies or some nuts or seeds or a homemade granola bar will do the trick. For lunches, I will take a sandwich (I am a sucker for peanut butter and jelly, but whatever I am in the mood for, I'll bring.) I've also brought a leftover rice dish, chili, soup, and other homecooked leftovers such as that. I even sometimes take a vegan Subway sandwich with me. I'll take anything at all that is yummy looking, and I can conveniently carry it with me.
#16 Old 10-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with Lady Lursa. If you are going to someones house to do something as personal as eat over..let them know you are a vegetarian. I cant imagine anyone having a problem with making something appropriate.
#17 Old 10-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Lots of our omni friends don't know how easy cooking vegetarian is...you might ask what your host is planning to serve and then suggust ways to modify it. For example, if they are serving pasta and meat sauce, ask them to set aside one serving of the pasta before adding the sauce, and bring your own sauce. As I am learning in cooking for my omni parents, most recipes can be adapted to leave out the meat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page