Want to gain weight.. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2005, 11:35 AM

Hi! I became a vegetarian in the beginning of May, while I was already pretty thin. I became a vegetarian for animal rights, a healthy diet, yadda yadda yadda, but not to lost weight. I've lost some weight since then, which is not good, because now I'm just a thinner pencil than I began. Some people may be ignorant to this, but it hurts just as bad when people make fun of you for being underweight, as being told you're overweight.

Can anyone direct me in how to gain healthy weight, so I'm not so shockingly thin?

I'm thinking maybe excercise to gain muscle and weight, etc. Do you think this'll do the trick?

Any advice is much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

eat, eat, eat. i know i know .

i lost weight by accident as well. i was already vegan for a couple years with no weight change in either direction then got a job that was a 1/2 hour walk from my house, and back, every day. silly me didn't eat more to make up for all those calories i was burning every day, and ended up going from 107 to 94 lbs. so when i figured out all my bones were sticking out more than usual and thought to weigh myself i freaked out and just started eating more. it's hard. so i ate and ate and ate and ended up with seriously bad stomach cramps that goes away though, your body just needs to get used to more food intake, and try to make sure what you do add to your meals is healthy, don't go overboard with the sugar like i did i'm pretty sure that's what upset my stomach, too much carbs.

so it wasn't really working as well as i'd hoped so i joined the gym and got a personal trainer for 6 sessions. woot! i gained so fast! i got up to 110 in less than 2 months. it depends on your body type of course, my trainer told me that i have the type of body that will put on muscle very quickly, so you may not gain as quickly as i did but i'm sure it will make a big difference.

not just that but i had so much more energy, i'd work out before work, come home, eat, go to work, and you'd think i'd be tired but by the time i got to work i'd be so energetic and in a really good mood.

anywho i sorta stopped going over the summer, too busy with biking stuff (bf races) and i lost half of it again lol. i'm gonna start going back as soon as biking is done.

so yeah, working out can help but you have to eat more too, especially while working out. i would get up, have breakfast, do some stuff around the house etc, then have lunch before going to the gym, then eat as soon as i got home from the gym, then have supper later on. you have to load up with carbs before working out, pasta etc, and when you get home you need lots and lots of protein. protein is essential for building muscle, without it you'll be hurting like crazy and not see much difference.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#3 Old 08-23-2005, 08:04 PM

working out does make you gain weight and well as losing it lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a little skinny girl myself and I've tried to eat to gain weight for.. about 8 years. It really hasn't worked very well for me. I was told I'd gain weight once I hit puberty but that was a lie.

So now I'm trying to gain weight by lifting weights. Hopefully this works for me. Good luck gaining weight, it's a struggle being a skinny chick.
#5 Old 08-27-2005, 03:29 PM

To gain the right weight, you'll definitely have to up your protein intake. Without the extra protein, your body will not gain muscle efficiently and it will continue to be in a catabolic state (breaking down fat and / or muscle) after your work outs. Make sure you are getting a calorie surplus with at least one gram of protein per lb of bodyweight - as a rule of thumb. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page