VeggieBoards banner

Vegetarian for a week so far.....

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Vegetarian_Girl 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I found this board last week and was pretty excited about it.....just wanted to introduce myself, as I hope to make some new friends here.

After years of thinking about it and loving the idea but thinking I could never do it, I finally stopped eating meat last week. So far, it has been pretty easy.......which is amazing, because I was raised eating lots of meat and very few veggies, so I don't like many of them. I am trying to keep an open mind and try all kinds of new things.

So far the toughtest part has been that I live in the boonies of western Maryland and it is difficult to find alot of vegetarian items. I discovered there is a great food co-op in Morgantown, WV, about an hour away, so I guess I'll be going there alot!

I would love to hear from anyone else who is a new vegetarian, or anyone with more experience who has tips and advice!

#2 ·
Welcome to VB! Congratulations on becoming veg!
I actually do the bulk of my shopping at regular grocery stores. They sell tofu, whole grains, beans, veggies, nuts, nut butters, crackers, vegan waffles/bagels, natural cereals, etc. It's quite easy to do! Going to the health food store is always a special treat for me because they have LOTS more options!

#4 ·
I agree with the others. Try to make the majority of your diet whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes, and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Mainstream grocery stores do carry tofu and vegetarian lunch meats. Keep the special stuff, like "natural" sweets, for the co-op.

#6 ·
I'm not sure what your thoughts are on processed foods but most grocery stores have a big selection of frozen vegetarian foods.

You might also want to check out our recipe section, http://www.vegweb.com, or http://www.veganmania.com.

Ethnic restaurants usually offer quite a few vegetarian options as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.