Vegetarian for a week so far..... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2005, 08:56 AM

Hi everyone! I found this board last week and was pretty excited about it.....just wanted to introduce myself, as I hope to make some new friends here.

After years of thinking about it and loving the idea but thinking I could never do it, I finally stopped eating meat last week. So far, it has been pretty easy.......which is amazing, because I was raised eating lots of meat and very few veggies, so I don't like many of them. I am trying to keep an open mind and try all kinds of new things.

So far the toughtest part has been that I live in the boonies of western Maryland and it is difficult to find alot of vegetarian items. I discovered there is a great food co-op in Morgantown, WV, about an hour away, so I guess I'll be going there alot!

I would love to hear from anyone else who is a new vegetarian, or anyone with more experience who has tips and advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome to VB! Congratulations on becoming veg! I actually do the bulk of my shopping at regular grocery stores. They sell tofu, whole grains, beans, veggies, nuts, nut butters, crackers, vegan waffles/bagels, natural cereals, etc. It's quite easy to do! Going to the health food store is always a special treat for me because they have LOTS more options!
#3 Old 08-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

welcome & hopefully you can get some items online if you can't find them in MD or WV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the others. Try to make the majority of your diet whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes, and you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Mainstream grocery stores do carry tofu and vegetarian lunch meats. Keep the special stuff, like "natural" sweets, for the co-op.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 08-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations to you on one week!
#6 Old 08-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure what your thoughts are on processed foods but most grocery stores have a big selection of frozen vegetarian foods.

You might also want to check out our recipe section, http://www.vegweb.com, or http://www.veganmania.com.

Ethnic restaurants usually offer quite a few vegetarian options as well.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 08-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Congrats!!! Welcome to VB! :-)
#8 Old 08-01-2005, 09:26 PM

Hi,

I am brand new to veg life. I live in Chicago and hope to make thuis a permanent lifestyle. Do you have a Whole Foods by you? They have lots of great foods.
#9 Old 08-01-2005, 09:27 PM

hey! congrads... i've been veggie for a week too! we should chat sometime.

Lauren
#10 Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Beginner

Congrat's and welcome to VB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page