How To Respond to an Omni - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2005, 07:26 PM

How can I (lactoovovegetarian) respond to these things people say to me?

1) You aren't going to make a difference.

2) The bible says that animals were put here for us to eat.

3) There are nutrients in meat that you can't get if you don't eat it.

4) Haha gotta "save the cows!"

5) Are you crazy?

And this, my dad shoots bunnies/chipmunks/etc. when they are causing a lot of dammage to our house, garage, etc. so now when there's one outside and it's not doing anything he's like "notice, I'm NOT shooting it" (I'm just thinking GOOD FOR YOU you award a medal! not!)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll post some potential responces:

- Do you think 100 vegetarians would? 1000? Every one of those is one person.

- It makes a difference to ME.

- Don't be so pessimistic.

- The bible says a lot of things. It also seems to be pro-slavery and anti-homosexuality.

- A lot of passages in the bible are up for interpretation.

- I can get protein from tofu, nuts, green vegetables, beans (etc etc), I can get omega-3s from flax seed or walnuts, I can get B12 from fortified soymilks, soymeats, nutritional yeast and supplements, I can get iron from certain vegetables (etc etc)(You'll have to do a little research to properly answer this one and adjust it for foods that you eat)

(Not really sure about this one. Maybe a smile and tease the person about something. Or, even just smile. You could shoot insult after insult, or explain that cows are great beings, or whatever you want, but that doesn't always work.)

5) Are you crazy?

- Yes. (said with a blank look, then a smile, if the person is a friend)

- No, why? (completely oblivious, if you can)

For your dad... hmm. I have an uncle like that. I don't waste too much time talking about stuff like that with him, it goes in one ear and out the other. He's your dad, so you probably don't want to offend him, even though he's offending you by doing it.
#3 Old 07-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

1) You aren't going to make a difference. Rosa Parks did (the mother of the Civil Rights Movement). OR: even if I don't make a difference in the world, I'll still make a difference to me and that's all that matters.

2) The bible says that animals were put here for us to eat. Really? Show me, then, but show me where humans ate meat before the fall of man (They can't. The scriptures don't exist). If you really want to rub it in, ask them why they think it's called the Garden of Eden and not the Slaughterhouse of Eden (I saw that on someone's siggie and I have to admit, I like it loads )

3) There are nutrients in meat that you can't get if you don't eat it. Without naming protein or iron, name those nutrients that I won't get if I don't eat meat. (hint: most omnis can't do this and it's rather fun to watch them sputter about while they try to. )

4) Haha gotta "save the cows!" haha! yep. *

5) Are you crazy? Yep. Crazy for good food and animals aren't what I would call "good food".

And this, my dad shoots bunnies/chipmunks/etc. when they are causing a lot of dammage to our house, garage, etc. so now when there's one outside and it's not doing anything he's like "notice, I'm NOT shooting it" (I'm just thinking GOOD FOR YOU you award a medal! not!)... How wonderful, dad! Well done, you!

Research the things that bunnies, chipmunks, etc like to chow on and maybe use your paycheque to get some of those things to put away from your house so they'll be more inclined to eat on *those* things instead of eating on your parent's place. Either that or research about natural repellants so the critters will want to go somewhere else for their "free meals".

*This one is a hard one to answer. You can either go with snotty snark answer or a simple "smile and nod" approach. I picked the smile and nod cause it's really hard to argue against it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Choosing a vegetarian option is doubly impactful because it a) reduces demand for meat and b) economically supports reduced-cruelty products.

Where? My Bible doesn't say that. It mentions humans having "dominion" over the earth, but nothing about torturing, tearing apart, and eating its inhabitants. It is also true that not everyone is Christian, and that not all Christians interpet the Bible literally.

I have done my research and make sure that I eat a balanced diet. In fact, I am probably more aware of my nutritional needs than 90% of the population simply because it's something I think about more. What are your specific concerns? (Note: Make sure you actually do the research before using this one!)

-- produce slight, patronizing grin and ignore --

5) Are you crazy?

-- refer to #4, possibly adding a shrug --
#5 Old 07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't recommend using many of these, but you might get a laugh out of reading them.

"Isn't that what you want?"

2) The Bible says that animals were put here for us to eat.

"The Bible also commands parents not to exasperate their children." (Ephesians 6:4)

"Just like you can't get the pesticides, hormones, and diseases if you don't eat it."

"You should try saving your breath."

5) Are you crazy?

"Yes, Dad, I learned it all from you."

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 07-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

"I'll make a lot more of a difference than your apathetic ass."

If talking to a woman... "What time of the month is it for you? Are you clean? Do you need to go sit in the corner of the room, not move and not touch anything in a while?" Leviticus something.

"According to my research there isn't...but please I do care about my health , which is why I became Veg*n , so umm tell me all you know...." Then refute everysingle thing!

"Yea they're cute huh" smile, eyelid flutter, flirt flirt.

5) Are you crazy?

"Yea, but shhh I'm kinda sensitive about it..so mind if we keep that just between us for now?"

And this, my dad shoots bunnies/chipmunks/etc. when they are causing a lot of dammage to our house, garage, etc. so now when there's one outside and it's not doing anything he's like "notice, I'm NOT shooting it"

Simple. A genuine heartfelt "Thanks Dad" followed by a hug, a kiss on the cheek and a huge smile...
#7 Old 07-10-2005, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renneme View Post

Just respond by quoting Timothy 2:12, the sexist passage "But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.", or the racist passage Mark 7:26-27.
#8 Old 07-10-2005, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

-Watch me!

-Maybe not, but I'm doing what I believe is best for me

-I'm secular

-The bible simply allows consumption of meat. It does not obligate it.

-Proverbs 12:10

-Insert unsavoury bible quote here, accompanied by "The bible also condones slavery/murder etc"

-Most people who ask this question don't actually name these nutrients. Ask them to name them. This is a challenge to their intellect, and once they are unable to name them, you can take the mic and say "See brother, you don't know jack!"

-Bemused facial expression.

5) Are you crazy?

-Not as crazy as some people.
#9 Old 07-10-2005, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular

as to #2:

the bible says that, after the fall, we're allowed to eat meat, not that we have to. paul says that we're allowed to not keep kosher (and thereby eat non kosher meats) because he didn't want non-jews to confuse vegetarianism and the christian message. it is perfectly accpetable in the bible to not eat meat, just as it is acceptable to eat it. As a matter of conscience, i choose not to eat meat.

personally, i like skylark's, but it only works when dealing with parents.
#10 Old 07-10-2005, 07:08 AM

Hi,

i'm not really used to answer to the threads around here...

anyway...

the other questions everybody above me had already answered (and the Bible thing: i'm not catholic, so I may not give a proper answer. But i alway suggest them the site www.jesusveg.com )

but...

I always say: "Cows, as pigs and hens and the other non-human animals have a Central Nervous Sistem that allows me to conclude that they feel pain. But not just fisical pain: they have psychological suffering. And as I care about the Human suffering, I may care of the Non-human as well: we all have CNS, and therefore we all feel pain. People who care more about one specie than about the others are called ""Speciecists" and they are no better than sexists or racists". Dot

that's not really polite, but this is information.

I hope i have helped.

good bye
#11 Old 07-10-2005, 08:17 AM

I have two words for those inquisitive omni's who's intentions are spiteful when asking me questions. F*off. Why give these people ammo? Don't get mad at me if I unintentionally peel back layers whereby they start to realize that they are consuming dead animals..contributing to their death. Those feelings of guilt are hard to deal with. If folks see me as the trigger for those feelings of course they are going to want to attack me. So, I don't feed the fire.

I can pretty much tell the ones that truly want to know vs. someone who's baiting me into an arguement to justify their meat eating.
#12 Old 07-10-2005, 08:50 AM

- Your point being?

- Wait . . . you care why?

- I care why?

- Duly noted and promptly forgotten.

- Watch me.

- Yeah, see how I'm dying?

- Have fun with that.

- Come back in time for dinner.

5) Are you crazy?

- Why yes - er, I mean no.

- Only from 9 to 5.
#13 Old 07-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My diet isn't about saving cows any more than not shooting people is about "saving humans". I choose not to support killing, and that's that.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#14 Old 07-10-2005, 10:36 AM

Hi,

I strongly refuse to discuss unpolitely with omnis or "carnivores".

Why? Because I don't want to play their game of yelling and saying whatever comes up in mind. I mean: i won't fight (on a first moment, of course. i'm not made of iron). I will just show information and oppinions.

Why?

Because people feel that their culture (and long-term habits) are in danger, are being attacked. It is much easier to make them understand if they are not stressed.

Think about it

bye
#15 Old 07-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

These responses are really good!

Just a thought for number (1):

meat eaters in Britain (probably more for the us?) consume their own weight in animal flesh. Over the period of a lifetime it amounts to:

5 Cattle / 20 Pigs / 29 Sheep / 780 Chickens / 46 Turkeys / 18 Ducks / 7 Rabbits / 1½ Geese.

Going veggie saves approx. 85 lives every year

good luck!
#16 Old 07-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The middle finger and a good eff off is often a good response, but not always appropriate...

A general response of mine is often "A vegetarian diet may not be right for everyone, but it is right for me" or "Its interesting how a lifestyle based it not hurting other living things can induce such violent reactions?"

Vegetarians save an average of 95 animal's lives a year. Going on a "low" estimate of 2.8% of the US identifiying as vegetarian, that would mean there are about 5.7 million vegetarians in the US, which would mean we're saving about 540 million animals a year. Lets say each of those animals cost $1 (okay, we know they cost more than that, but thats an easy number to work with), then vegetarians are causing the meat industry to lose over $540 million/yr. I think thats a pretty decent difference!!

The bible also says we can sell our daughters into slavery, and shouldn't ever eat a cheeseburger, among other interesting things. Go read in the bible the plans for how you should be planting your crops, and how to treat your family, and every other thing. Obviously the bible says all sorts of things that we know aren't right (i.e. slavery). Should we go get some slaves just because the bible says that we can have them, as long as they aren't from our country?

The bible may say that we can eat meat, but I doubt that God wished for us to treat his creations as poorly as we do in the process, or pump them full of chemicals and hormones, or eat SO MUCH of them that we get diseases and die.

My response to this is "like what?"

"protein"

"How much protein do you need in a day?"

*blank stare*

"I need about 50 g, which I don't have a problem getting. There's protein in everything. How much protein is in a serving of pasta?"

*blank stare* OR "none, its a carb"

"Actually, there's about 6-8 grams per serving."

If its something like iron, I point out all the foods that contain iron that I consume.

I generally end up commenting that if they were intelligent and knew anything about nutrition, they would ask me where I get my B12 from.

I'd like to point out that I may have an advantage here, having been vegetarian for 10+ yrs, and obviously still alive and well. I can point out that I am still healthy and strong and have no deficiencies in my bloodwork. This will come with time.

Wouldn't you want to be saved if you were living in the conditions that cows are living? What makes humans think they have the right to torture and kill other living things?

Cows are my friends

5) Are you crazy?

Yes. But not because of vegetarianism. I was crazy when I ate meat too.

Quote:
And this, my dad shoots bunnies/chipmunks/etc. when they are causing a lot of dammage to our house, garage, etc. so now when there's one outside and it's not doing anything he's like "notice, I'm NOT shooting it" (I'm just thinking GOOD FOR YOU you award a medal! not!)...

Would it be possible for you to find an alternative method of animal removal? Such as one of those super sonic rodent deterrants that put out an awful sound that people can't hear?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#17 Old 07-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieber_Groll View Post

Hi,

I strongly refuse to discuss unpolitely with omnis or "carnivores".

Why? Because I don't want to play their game of yelling and saying whatever comes up in mind. I mean: i won't fight (on a first moment, of course. i'm not made of iron). I will just show information and oppinions.

Why?

Because people feel that their culture (and long-term habits) are in danger, are being attacked. It is much easier to make them understand if they are not stressed.

Think about it

bye

Oh yes, I and I am sure most others here agree. I would definately explain politely etc...but for those annoyings who are just trying to get a rise out of you again and again..well "let the fun begin" I say.
#18 Old 07-10-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Even pretending that the chances are small...If I do nothing, then the chances will be zero. If I do something, the chances are a non-zero number. Morally I am obligated to attempt to make the difference. "

Quote:

"The bible is also pro-slavery and condones a large number of atrocities. Its about as reliable a source for morality as Mein Kampf."

Quote:

"To be quite frank, that is simply false. Every nutrient in meat can be found from another, non-animal source. Numerous agencies have verified that a Vegan diet is infact feasible. For example, you can get X nutrient in Y source, A nutrient in B source, etc etc"

Quote:

"I'm sorry, I don't see the punchline. Could you explain it to me?"

Quote:
5) Are you crazy?

"no"
#19 Old 07-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

My responses depend on my mood and the questioner: are they genuinely interested, or just being an a$$? In the case of someone being an a$$, I have one standard response:

Why do you care?
#20 Old 07-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"Save the cows? Save the cows?! NO! It is the cows that shall save us! Comrade Cow shall free us of the shackles of our dismal existence through his glorious bovine revolution! Long live Comrade Cow! Long live Comrade Cow!"

Proceed to run around, screaming the praises of the bovine revolution.

See if they ever say THAT again.
#21 Old 07-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:

5) Are you crazy?

Well, my answer would be "don't." People like this are just trying to get a rise out of you, don't give them the satisfaction. You're not hurting anyone, it's really none of their business.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#22 Old 07-13-2005, 09:30 AM
Beginner

Some of my favourite answers to stupid questions like these are:

A) When they're atleast being polite about it...

- "I just can't justify to myself eating meat when I know how the animals

are treated, and what it really takes to get that hunk of meat on my

plate."

- "Oh, I never really liked meat anyways, it was the best decision for me."

(True in my case)

B) When they will not drop the subject and actually have the nerve to make snotty comments just because we don't share the same diet...

- *place snotty grin on face*, "Oh, well thank you for mocking my beliefs... I

really appreciate that!"

- "Why should you care whether or not I eat meat? I'm not telling you to

stop eating it!"

God, I dread answering peoples rude questions. If they're being polite about it, and are genuienly just inquiring about my reasons or lifestyle, then I don't have a problem with it. But it's those freaking people (and believe me... I know lots of them) who feel the need to make you the center of attention when at some sort of gathering by making obviously rude comments.... GRRR!
#23 Old 07-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

If they are just being jerks, Tell them to mind their own business, and focus on their own lives. If they are being sincere, other people in this thread gave excellent advice.

It really isn't anyone's business. Live your life, and don't worry about what anyone thinks.
#24 Old 07-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I have often just said, "I decided that I owed it to myself to find out what goes into meat production, once I found out, I decided that participating in animal agriculture is not something consistent with my values."
#25 Old 07-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I just stopped telling people I'm veg*n. It causes so much crap sometimes! So, I only will briefly mention it if they ask (usually after they see me avoiding meat at a buffet or something). :-P

Then they just stare at me with wide eyes like I'm from another planet. It can be so annoying. Thankfully, most people are nice about it and genuinely want to know about veg*nism.
#26 Old 07-13-2005, 11:10 AM

It makes a complete difference in one's own life, and being so complacent as to say you won't make a difference is a loser mentality.

So? Living as cruelty free an existence as possible would presumably appease the gods, if there are such beings.

Not true.

Caring about others is a positive thing, regardless of species.

5) Are you crazy?

No, just enlightened.
#27 Old 07-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbphburg View Post

Caring about others is a positive thing, regardless of species.

Wow, I have to say that is a fantastic response, that if said without any sarcasm really would be a show stopper. Seriously what can be said to refute that! I am going to use that one. Thanks jbphburg So simple, so honest, so true.
#28 Old 07-14-2005, 06:18 AM

Thanks for the compliment; I think these arguments are best dealt with at the most fundamental level, once someone draws you into a complex discussion things can become less clear. I think Thoreau said 'Simplify'.
#29 Old 07-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

5) Are you crazy?

Response to #2--

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food."

--Romans 14:19 - 21

And response to #5--

"No, are you?"

"No, I'm not eating meat."

"No, but you must have mad cow disease or something."

etc, etc, etc...
#30 Old 07-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by social_moth View Post

"Save the cows? Save the cows?! NO! It is the cows that shall save us! Comrade Cow shall free us of the shackles of our dismal existence through his glorious bovine revolution! Long live Comrade Cow! Long live Comrade Cow!"

Proceed to run around, screaming the praises of the bovine revolution.

See if they ever say THAT again.

!!

I am SO using that one.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page