VeggieBoards banner

Being Vegetarian is Expensive

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Evolotus 
#1 ·
Wow! I didn't realize how much it costs to eat healthy unprocessed foods. What can I do to save on all these food costs.... I just learned a trick with putting a celery stalk in water, are there any other tricks you can share with me that can help save on food costs? Greens, Micro Greens and Vegetables can be really expensive.

#2 · (Edited)
Vegetarian diets are not more expensive than other diets.

The essential trick:

* The more food preparation you do yourself, the more money you will save.

* The more you eat out and the more prepared convenience foods you buy the more you will spend.

To save money on produce:

* Buy seasonal produce

* Buy frozen, unprepared produce

* Buy produce from Asian stores and other "ethnic markets", they are often priced lower there

* Google on how to make a vegetable wash to remove pesticides when buying non-organic produce.

#3 ·
Hi Tobin,

Vegetarian diets are no more expensive (and can be much less expensive) than meat-centered diets. Recommended daily portions of fruits and vegetables are the same for both vegetarians and omnivores: https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/nutrition-and-health/nutrition-overview

It's not necessary to eat micro-greens on a vegetarian diet. I've been a vegan for almost 30 years, and I've never even tried micro-greens.

Dark green vegetables (spinach, kale, broccoli) are recommended for all people, not just vegetarians. You can find low prices on these vegetables at Asian markets. For soups and stews, frozen vegetables can be just as good as fresh vegetables, and less expensive.

Other vegan staples, such as beans, lentils, and whole grains, are definitely less expensive than meat.

Reactions: Tom
#4 ·
Where do you live? I find eating fresh or frozen produce, dried beans, legumes, grains...much less expensive than eating any kind of meat based diet!

When comparing diets it is important to be consistent with each type

organic vegan costs less than a diet of organic grass fed meats and dairy-and that would include produce!
conventional vegan costs less than conventional omni
junk food vegan however costs more than junk food omni

Too many people compare eating all wfpb diet with organically sourced produce with an omni diet of cheap meats and dairy, fast food, and processed food

#5 ·
It sounds like you're shopping specialty items, and health food stores. I buy all my beans from Aldi at under $2 for 2 pound bags.
I buy produce there as well as from produce markets. Some whole grains I get from Whole Foods bulk, or Fresh Thyme bulk.
Sprouts and micro greens are very easy to grow yourself indoors!

#7 ·
I see on your other posts you are trying to eat an alkaline diet with a lot of sprouts. Yeah, sprouts can be expensive if you're eating a lot of them, but it's very misleading to use that as a basis to say that all vegetarian diets are expensive.

Most people find they save money not eating animal products. My pal Toni's site Plant-Based on a Budget is one of the best resources out there for affordable vegan diets. Her meal plans and grocery lists show you how you can eat for a week on $20-25, and it's very healthy, whole foods-based.

https://plantbasedonabudget.com/free-meal-plans/

Where I live, only high-end chefs use "microgreens" to top their $20 salads. Real people don't eat like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.