VeggieBoards banner

Vegetarian EGG?

4K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  FredVegrox 
#1 ·
Is Egg vegetarian?........lots of thoughts about this.

#2 ·
It's ovo-vegetarian. The accepted definition of vegetarian is one who does eat anything killed, so egg and dairy are accepted as they are taken from animals without them being directly killed.
Yes, most vegans will argue about their offspring being sent to slaughter, and the males chicks killed from offspring of laying hens (as only hens are needed for egg producers), however, eggs are dairy are for all purposes vegetarian

Eggs sold are not fertilized.

#3 ·
Eggs are eaten by vegetarians and the Vegetarian Society (UK) has never had a problem with this.

Perhaps Danil Shipak could let us know if he wants to hear the vegan (or a non-traditional vegetarian) perspective on eggs? In that case the thread would need moving from the Transitioning to Vegetarian sub-forum to a more appropriate area.

Leedsveg

#6 ·
If you're happy with a vegetarian diet, then stick with it. Veganism however is more than just what a person eats. If you want to know more about veganism, there's plenty of info on the forum, or you could ask members (you'd need to do this in the vegan sub-forum support area).

Leedsveg

#7 ·
I would personally LOVE to find a way to ditch Eggs but I haven't found anything like EGG WHITE so far as a protein dense food. It seem like every protein dense vegan food is also highly fat. It's not a bad thing per se but my fitness and workout background totaly sold me on the value of proteins.

I buy my egg localy and I feel okay about it. However, I know they are still hens periods. ;)

#9 ·
protein dense food

Plant protean is healthier:
nutritionfacts.org/video/do-vegetarians-get-enough-protein/
nutritionfacts.org/video/the-great-protein-fiasco/
nutritionfacts.org/video/the-protein-combining-myth/
nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-bodybuilding/

Professional athletes that get their protein from plants:
forksoverknives.com/meet-la-galaxys-baggio-husidic-a-high-performance-plant-powered-athlete
businessinsider.com/elite-athletes-who-are-vegan-and-what-made-them-switch-their-diet-2017-10

If you need extra protean, eat legums.

#10 ·
It depends on who you ask. Vegans will say no, Krishna consciousness will say no (they only do cow's milk/cheese because they're influenced by the Hindu tradition and believe eggs are a potential living being), but many who identify as "vegetarian" eat eggs.

I would strongly recommend pasture-raised eggs only, cage free doesn't mean anything good.

#14 ·
Yes, some vegetarians do eat eggs and it's okay for them. According to the vegetarian definition, eggs are vegetarian because it does not contain any animal flesh. Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products but not any animal flesh. I even heard of vegetarian people eating fish :/

#15 ·
Yes, some vegetarians do eat eggs and it's okay for them. According to the vegetarian definition, eggs are vegetarian because it does not contain any animal flesh. Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products but not any animal flesh. I even heard of vegetarian people eating fish :/
(bold emphasis mine) Yep. I was pescetarian back in the late 1960s to early 1970s, and that's the proper term for someone who consumes fish (and invertebrates) but no other animals. I don't think the term "pescetarian" existed back then, so people often referred to me as a "vegetarian". I think I used the term too, at least sometimes; I didn't consider cold-blooded animals "vegetables" exactly, but didn't know how else to refer to my diet.

#18 ·
I gave up buying meat over sixteen years ago, learning we could be better off without it, which was new to me, and avoided it except briefly when I had help in need with being given meat. Just meat. I was eating it again but it really bothered me, and I told them afterward to not give me any more meat. I was not buying it still. I found out online the issues of harm and exploitation to all animals in industries using them, which are all killed, for products to be sold in stores where we get them, with forced reproduction on the animals, calves taken away from dairy cows for milk to be taken, the baby male calves slaughtered right away for meat sold as veal, the others killed when they are used up. Male chicks are ground up to be disposed of, among chickens used for eggs. I avoided animal products for more than eight years since then, and will still.

#19 ·
There are certainly ways to have replacement for egg in recipes. I never was so fond of just having egg, but firm tofu with black salt and seasonings can be scrambled as heated to be like a scrambled egg substitute. Apple sauce or flax seed cam be substituted for it in recipes.

There is awareness to have of needing to get the needed vitamins. I get supplements for vitamin B12 and vitamin C, for each day.
Without using animal products getting vitamin D is important to consider. I myself do not take supplements for it, that might change if I see supplements for vitamin D definitely not from animals, I fortunately live at a latitude where there is sun adequately high up enough that I might benefit having vitamin D production from that.

#20 ·
Egg is not any more healthy for us than meat and other things from animals used for getting those. If there is not ethical objection to what happens to animals for that, which I see called for, there would not be reasons for health to have them. Our bodies make the cholesterol we need, the cholesterol from eggs is not good for us. There are better ways to have protein and needed nutrients without them being from animals. And issue of more resources used for the same amount of protein and nutrients is the same with egg production as with other animal agriculture.