VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Transitioning to Vegetarian (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/57-transitioning-vegetarian/)
-   -   Vegetarian EGG? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/57-transitioning-vegetarian/225834-vegetarian-egg.html)

Danil Shipak 07-02-2017 09:19 AM

Vegetarian EGG?

Is Egg vegetarian?........lots of thoughts about this.

silva 07-02-2017 10:16 AM

It's ovo-vegetarian. The accepted definition of vegetarian is one who does eat anything killed, so egg and dairy are accepted as they are taken from animals without them being directly killed.
Yes, most vegans will argue about their offspring being sent to slaughter, and the males chicks killed from offspring of laying hens (as only hens are needed for egg producers), however, eggs are dairy are for all purposes vegetarian

Eggs sold are not fertilized.

leedsveg 07-02-2017 01:55 PM

Eggs are eaten by vegetarians and the Vegetarian Society (UK) has never had a problem with this.

Perhaps Danil Shipak could let us know if he wants to hear the vegan (or a non-traditional vegetarian) perspective on eggs? In that case the thread would need moving from the Transitioning to Vegetarian sub-forum to a more appropriate area.

Leedsveg

steve-in-kville 07-05-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 4099354)
Eggs sold are not fertilized.

I grew up on a farm. Commercial eggs are not fertilized. You buy brown eggs from a roadside stand that advertises free range.... I guarantee they are. Its common to run a rooster with a flock of hens for protection. You'd never know it, though....

Just a fun fact for the day!

rrconfetti 07-21-2017 01:03 PM

I honestly cannot imagine being vegetarian and not eating eggs and dairy. If I could give those up, I'd easily go vegan! :P

leedsveg 07-21-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrconfetti (Post 4106450)
I honestly cannot imagine being vegetarian and not eating eggs and dairy. If I could give those up, I'd easily go vegan! :P

If you're happy with a vegetarian diet, then stick with it. Veganism however is more than just what a person eats. If you want to know more about veganism, there's plenty of info on the forum, or you could ask members (you'd need to do this in the vegan sub-forum support area).

Leedsveg

AprillSnook1995 09-12-2017 09:20 AM

I would personally LOVE to find a way to ditch Eggs but I haven't found anything like EGG WHITE so far as a protein dense food. It seem like every protein dense vegan food is also highly fat. It's not a bad thing per se but my fitness and workout background totaly sold me on the value of proteins.

I buy my egg localy and I feel okay about it. However, I know they are still hens periods. ;)

SapphireLightning 09-12-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville (Post 4100594)
I grew up on a farm. Commercial eggs are not fertilized. You buy brown eggs from a roadside stand that advertises free range.... I guarantee they are. Its common to run a rooster with a flock of hens for protection. You'd never know it, though....

Just a fun fact for the day!

A rooster? What happened to the rest of them?

Anyways, as far as eggs being vegetarian, they are. The focus of the vegetarian society is more a health focused group (that seems to ignore just how bad for you eggs are...) and not focused on ethics. This is why I find it odd that forums such as this one are for both vegetarians and vegans.

Fun fact: The vegan society was originally health focused as well, until Gandhi gave a speech to them about the ethics of not consuming animals and their "products".

wolfv 10-13-2018 11:55 AM

protein dense food

Quote:

Originally Posted by AprillSnook1995 (Post 4109722)
I would personally LOVE to find a way to ditch Eggs but I haven't found anything like EGG WHITE so far as a protein dense food. It seem like every protein dense vegan food is also highly fat. It's not a bad thing per se but my fitness and workout background totaly sold me on the value of proteins.

I buy my egg localy and I feel okay about it. However, I know they are still hens periods. ;)

Plant protean is healthier:
nutritionfacts.org/video/do-vegetarians-get-enough-protein/
nutritionfacts.org/video/the-great-protein-fiasco/
nutritionfacts.org/video/the-protein-combining-myth/
nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-bodybuilding/

Professional athletes that get their protein from plants:
forksoverknives.com/meet-la-galaxys-baggio-husidic-a-high-performance-plant-powered-athlete
businessinsider.com/elite-athletes-who-are-vegan-and-what-made-them-switch-their-diet-2017-10

If you need extra protean, eat legums.

Mystical Fog 11-03-2018 01:23 PM

It depends on who you ask. Vegans will say no, Krishna consciousness will say no (they only do cow's milk/cheese because they're influenced by the Hindu tradition and believe eggs are a potential living being), but many who identify as "vegetarian" eat eggs.

I would strongly recommend pasture-raised eggs only, cage free doesn't mean anything good.

Mystical Fog 11-03-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leedsveg (Post 4106522)
If you're happy with a vegetarian diet, then stick with it. Veganism however is more than just what a person eats. If you want to know more about veganism, there's plenty of info on the forum, or you could ask members (you'd need to do this in the vegan sub-forum support area).

Leedsveg

There are actually quite a lot of ethical vegetarians who avoid gelatin and leather and fur, and eat primarily plant-based, vegans don't necessarily have special information on this topic, sometimes the difference between a vegan and vegetarian is literally what they eat, depending on their reasons.

For example, I used to know someone who called himself vegan who hated animals. There are also people who go "vegan" for purely health reasons who still freely buy leather shoes.

David3 11-04-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapphireLightning (Post 4109726)

Fun fact: The vegan society was originally health focused as well, until Gandhi gave a speech to them about the ethics of not consuming animals and their "products".

This doesn't appear to be true. In 1944, the first newsletter of the Vegan Society (at that time, known as the "Non-Dairy Vegetarian" society) specifically states that its first focus was animal cruelty: https://ivu.org/history/europe20b/vegan_news_1.pdf

FredericLavender 11-18-2018 07:59 AM

I was a veggie for 33 years and now a vegan for 9 months. Eggs was life for me especially as I am a bodybuilder. I miss eating eggs but replicate scrambled eggs on toast with tofu. So just using tofu, scramble it with onions, peppers, salt and black pepper. Sometimes I add some chilli flakes :o

katebrownell 05-27-2019 12:56 AM

Yes, some vegetarians do eat eggs and it's okay for them. According to the vegetarian definition, eggs are vegetarian because it does not contain any animal flesh. Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products but not any animal flesh. I even heard of vegetarian people eating fish :/

Tom 09-16-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katebrownell (Post 4121480)
Yes, some vegetarians do eat eggs and it's okay for them. According to the vegetarian definition, eggs are vegetarian because it does not contain any animal flesh. Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products but not any animal flesh. I even heard of vegetarian people eating fish :/

(bold emphasis mine) Yep. I was pescetarian back in the late 1960s to early 1970s, and that's the proper term for someone who consumes fish (and invertebrates) but no other animals. I don't think the term "pescetarian" existed back then, so people often referred to me as a "vegetarian". I think I used the term too, at least sometimes; I didn't consider cold-blooded animals "vegetables" exactly, but didn't know how else to refer to my diet.