• 5 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 2 Post By oldmanveggie
  • 3 Post By Thalassa
  • 3 Post By David3
  • 3 Post By Ferncat
  • 3 Post By Vegan Dave
  • 3 Post By silva

#1 Old 05-20-2017, 04:48 PM

5 Days No Meat (woo!)..but this is getting hard. Any tips?

I have gone five days without eating any meat (yay!) I know this isn't a lot, but you have to start somewhere right?
Yesterday and today have been hard. Probably because it's the weekend and it is hard going to restaurants and not being able to order the foods I crave. I have almost slipped up a couple of times and it has me wondering if I really can do this for the rest of my life...any tips?
Purp, Vegan Dave, David3 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations on your 5 days! Just take it one day at a time, one meal at a time and focus on progress not perfection. If you do slip up don't beat yourself up and cave entirely, just get right back into it and make your next meal a vegetarian one. Habits take time to change but it gets easier and easier the longer you go.

When I first went vegetarian I had a few slip ups but now it's been over 15 years and meat doesn't even seem like food to me anymore, I don't miss it at all.

Keep going, you can do it!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 05-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Beginner

Good for you!

The journey always starts with small steps.
David3 and BlueMts like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Bandit

Research options before you go out. I started eating vegetarian meals in my teens when I still ate an omni diet at home, and some of my favorites then were pizza with veggie toppings, portobello mushroom sandwiches, loaded baked potatoes (like a broccoli cheese potato, or potato with sour cream, cheese, chives or green onions, or mushrooms and grilled onion with sour cream). At fast food places like Taco Bell, bean burritos are always an option, or swapping beans for beef on other items at no charge.

Dennys makes a veggie skillet, and some other restaurants make veggie/rice plates, which you could top with cheese if you still eat it.

Other options include veggie omelets, pancakes, eggs Florentine, and veggie burgers. Being a lacto-ovo vegetarian is actually pretty easy, and takes minimal effort even at restaurants.

At home, if you crave meat, stock up on veggie versions of your absolute favorite kinds (like if you were a chicken nugget lover, spring for the veg chkn patties or nuggets first, if you are on a budget).

Also try Asian restaurants, which generally offer a tofu option for most dishes they serve, you just ask for tofu as your protein.

When I was younger I also really liked the old-fashioned hippie sandwich, with cucumber, lettuce, tomato, sprouts on toasted bread with either cream cheese or melted sliced cheese. Toss on sunflower seeds for extra nutrition, and/or add slices of avacado.

Other simple lunch options include peanut butter and jam, or cream cheese and jelly sandwich/bagel, with also bowl or cup of vegetable or bean soup.

Like Werewolf Girl said, if you do make a mistake, just start over again at the next meal.

Good luck.
Werewolf Girl, Purp and David3 like this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#5 Old 05-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelovesfoxes View Post
I have gone five days without eating any meat (yay!) I know this isn't a lot, but you have to start somewhere right?
Yesterday and today have been hard. Probably because it's the weekend and it is hard going to restaurants and not being able to order the foods I crave. I have almost slipped up a couple of times and it has me wondering if I really can do this for the rest of my life...any tips?

Hi shelovesfoxes,

It can be easier to become vegetarian if you first find 5 or 6 meatless dishes that you really enjoy. These might be meatless versions of foods that you already like - pasta, burritos, soup, bread and dips, etc. Once you make those 5 or 6 meatless dishes part of your weekly eating, it will become much easier to let go of your old meat dishes.

You might find this website useful - it provides very good information about many aspects of becoming vegetarian: http://www.chooseveg.org.

Welcome to the forum!
Purp, Spudulika and BlueMts like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-21-2017 at 01:42 PM.
#6 Old 05-21-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
You sure can do this for the rest of your life if you want to. Try to be gentle on yourself when you are just starting out. You don't have to be perfect, you are still learning how to do this. Most things take time to learn and eating a different way than you are used to can be difficult. When you start a new job or hobby, you need to learn new skills. Eating is no different. Just thinking about what you eat is different than many people do.
Even if you do slip up, that does not mean that you have to stop being a vegetarian. You can start again. No one is judging you and watching to see if you fail or not. Just do your best and soon you will get the hang of it.

What foods are you craving? Perhaps people here can recommend veggie alternatives to your cravings.
Purp, David3 and BlueMts like this.
#7 Old 05-23-2017, 03:04 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

If you did 5 days...how hard could 5 more days be?

Or 5 more?

Or 5 more?

Just take it one meal / day at a time.

If this is something that you really want to do...you'll succeed.
Werewolf Girl, David3 and BlueMts like this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#8 Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
If you don't continue you'll never know how much you're missing!
I remember early on, it was like i couldn't think of anything that didn't use milk-something! Six months later I realized my 'normal' changed, a year I realized I ate more variety of foods than I ever did as an omni! You opened one door, now it's up to you to explore your vast new culinary world!
Werewolf Girl, David3 and BlueMts like this.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#9 Old 05-24-2017, 06:17 AM
person

Congratulations you can do it. Don't get disheartened if you slip up, eventually you will wonder why you ever ate meat.

By the way I love your user name

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci, Italian Painter, Sculptor, Architect, Musician, Engineer, and Scientist

When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. ~Ingrid Newkirk
#10 Old 05-24-2017, 12:43 PM

Congrats!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
#11 Old 05-28-2017, 09:24 AM

Congratulations! I know how hard it is to even make 5 days. I'm attempting vegetarianism again and feel more confident this time because I'm learning new recipes which are so freely available on the internet.

I second the advice to find 5 or 6 recipes you really enjoy and use them as your staples. Most meat eaters stick to the same kind of meals anyway. From your staples you can then try and branch out and find a new 1 or 2 new recipes a week or something like that?

I found that eating a big breakfast helps me stay motivated because then I'm not hungry later. In Aine Carlin's cookery books she has a lot of good ideas for healthy breakfasts - I love oats soaked overnight in milk and a spoon of cocoa powder, then adding nuts, seeds, chopped fruit, and a spoon of nut butter as a topping.

This may or may not help depending on yuor personal motivations, but I found that reminding myself of the suffering animals go through helped me keep motivated.

Eat well, eat enough calories, do enjoy your food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page