Surprised - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM

Surprised

Hello I'm happy to find a nice forum as I'm sure I will have lots of questions as time goes on

Last weekend I decided to just stop eating meat, it was like my body just went 'Naaaaaahhh that's enough"

I'm 47 so have been eating meat a long time, and I was really thinking it was going to be difficult. I officially stopped eating meat on Monday night, so it has been nearly 5 days, and I feel great!

There are two of us here and we are both feeing normal

I am just wondering why I am not feeling blaaahhhh and sick like other people when I used to eat meat every single day?

Is that coming? I read that your body detoxes when you stop at eating meat

So far the evening meals I've cooked are

Vegetable pie
Roast veges
General Tso tofu with egg rice
Pumpkin curry
Mushroom pasta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinCurry View Post
Hello I'm happy to find a nice forum as I'm sure I will have lots of questions as time goes on

Last weekend I decided to just stop eating meat, it was like my body just went 'Naaaaaahhh that's enough"

I'm 47 so have been eating meat a long time, and I was really thinking it was going to be difficult. I officially stopped eating meat on Monday night, so it has been nearly 5 days, and I feel great!

There are two of us here and we are both feeing normal

I am just wondering why I am not feeling blaaahhhh and sick like other people when I used to eat meat every single day?

Is that coming? I read that your body detoxes when you stop at eating meat

So far the evening meals I've cooked are

Vegetable pie
Roast veges
General Tso tofu with egg rice
Pumpkin curry
Mushroom pasta

Hi Pumpkin Curry, welcome to the forum.

A common reason for new vegetarians to feel "blah" (lack of energy) is simple of lack of calories. Beans, grains, fruit, and vegetables are low in calories, compared to high-fat meats and dairy products. New vegetarians don't always realize that, in order to maintain their weight and energy, they must either eat a larger volume of food, or they must be sure to incorporate some higher-calorie plant foods in their diet (like nuts, nut butters, seeds, and avocados).

"Detoxify" is a popular word on nutrition / health websites, but it doesn't really apply to meat. Your body is always detoxifying, whether or not you are eating meat. Properly-handled and -cooked meat is not acutely poisonous (exception: some types of fish are likely to have chemical contamination).

Here is a very good website about vegetarian nutrition: http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/nutshell.htm

This website presents vegetarian nutrition in a more color / illustrative way: http://www.chooseveg.com/

Both of these websites are published by reputable vegetarian / vegan organizations.

Vegetarian blogs and YouTube channels are enjoyable, but I've found that they often contain (honest) mistakes and misinformation about vegetarian nutrition.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.
#3 Old 05-20-2017, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Honestly, I think so many people feel badly when they stop eating meat because they have the expectation of detoxing
Not eating meat, or any other animal product, is not a big deal. Too many people are so comfortable with how they feel on their usual diet when they start to remove the worst offenders they think they're also giving up nutritents they need. Plants have all the nutrition as animal foods, with the exception of B12.

Congrats to you for making the winning choice! I'd suggest focusing on the majority of people who have transformed their lives with plant based diets. Eating veg'n can be just as healthy, or not as you choose. It doesn't have to be any more or less than it did eating meat. There seems to be such a stereotype that veg'ns HAVE to eat healthy.

David3 is right about the calories. It takes some people longer to find just what they can eat. From the sound of your meals you sound like you've found your niche!

Welcome!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-20-2017, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a new website I like that outlines different ways of veg diets-

https://www.lighter.world/

and inspiration-
http://thevegantruth.blogspot.com/20...nce-birth.html

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 05-20-2017, 05:37 AM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

It seems if meat is the only thing you subtracted but are still consuming all the other animal products, it may not be quite as big of a shock to the system, perhaps?

I learned my body was pretty much in a total state of shock more often than not in trying to protect itself from all that I was choosing to consume, until I stopped consuming it.

However, when I changed my diet, it was initially for medical reasons via an emergency room visit. I later learned of the plight of the animals as it pertained to each product and was sickened beyond belief in my heart.

When I switched my eating habits, I gave up all meat, all dairy, all eggs, all caffeine, all alcohol, and most highly processed pre-packaged foods.

Slowly transitioning, as it sounds like you are, seems to be the best method for smoother sailing. Best wishes for sustained awareness and improved health!

Not trying to convince or lead you in any way towards doing or trying anything I did, just sharing how things look from my direct experiences as viewed from my particular seat in the peanut gallery.

"Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and a fool." ~Plato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page