Feeling extremely nauseous - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgrimm

#1 Old 05-23-2016, 01:46 PM

Feeling extremely nauseous

Hi guys, veggie newcomer here.

I cut meat out of my diet about three weeks ago and felt fine up to today, no cravings whatsoever. Right now I'm feeling like vomiting and it feels like in my head that eating some sort of meat is what my body needs. Is this normal when transitioning or am I doing something wrong diet-wise? I've been eating lots of green veg and beans and lentils and what not but I think I'm possibly missing something because if feel like **** to be quite honest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

How much meat did you eat before?
It's only 'normal' if you're not eating enough calories- which for many is true because they haven't discovered all they can eat.
Are you trying to eat whole foods?
There isnt anything special in meat-- it's concentrated fat, protein and calories.

I'd try not to change too much at first, some go from eating fast food burgers to almost raw! No doubt there they'd feel weird!

I personally have found I love seitan, tofu, Tofurky Italian sausage, Boca chik;n patties, tempeh. I mostly eat beans, lentils, but do have those things weekly

It could also be coincidental
#3 Old 05-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like you aren't eating enough. The types of plant foods you mention are indeed very healthy and excellent for the body, but they are not as calorific as meat, and they fill you up fairly quickly due to the high fiber. Meat also sits in the digestive tract longer, while plant foods move through faster. So you need to either eat more of them, or add more calorific foods like peanut butter, nuts, seeds, whole grains, or fresh/dried fruits.

As silva said, protein is nothing more than a group of amino acids, all of which can be found in plant foods, though only a few plant foods such as tofu and quinoa contain all of the amino acids in one food.

Three weeks is not really enough time for a vitamin or mineral deficiency to develop in the rare event one does, but you could have an intolerance or allergy to a newly introduced food, or your body might not be used to the added fiber and bulk. Beans are a difficult food for people to digest when they first start eating them. It is one of those foods you want to introduce more slowly if you aren't used to them. Over time you body becomes well adjusted to plant based eating, but for some people it can take a while.

Personally, when I went vegan I found that I needed to increase calories because I dropped weight very quickly even though I felt full after meals. Adding in a serving or two of nuts or seeds or peanut butter each day helped me with stamina and to stop the weight loss. I also found whole grains like oats, brown rice, couscous, pastas, and whole wheat bread easier to digest and satiating. Grains and nuts/seeds stabilize blood sugar also, whereas fruits and vegetables are more likely to cause spikes and drops in blood sugar. Just a thought. Low blood sugar or a drop in blood sugar can cause nausea.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-23-2016, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
As above!
I felt like that when I wasn't eating enough and also pre-Coeliac diagnosis. Ironically, all that got worse when I was veg because I was eating more wheat etc.

Anxiety during teen years also made me nauseous more than anything else ever has. Ugh...
Are you anxious at all? Eating plenty of serotonin-sorts-of-foods (aka carbs)?
#5 Old 05-24-2016, 05:12 AM
Beginner

Patience is key here, and lots of water! What you are experiencing may not even have anything to do with diet, but may be revealing a condition of anxiety, stress, lack of sleep, etc. that you will have to work through.

Variety in diet is very important though, mix it up! Great thing I have found out about a plant based diet is that the calories are "light", meaning you can eat a lot and still feel ALIVE afterwards instead of wanting to take a nap

Really though, I have had many ups and downs and it's hard to pinpoint a direct cause but it seems like the more water I drink and the more I get outside to get fresh air and sunshine, and some medium intensity exercise like calisthenics to get the blood flowing is usually the cure.

I hope the best for you! Tough it out for at least a week or two - any longer than that and a trip to the doc may be in order but I wouldn't jump to any dietary conclusions unless you get a blood test to prove a deficiency is causing your symptoms.
#6 Old 05-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kavanagh View Post
Hi guys, veggie newcomer here.

I cut meat out of my diet about three weeks ago and felt fine up to today, no cravings whatsoever. Right now I'm feeling like vomiting and it feels like in my head that eating some sort of meat is what my body needs. Is this normal when transitioning or am I doing something wrong diet-wise? I've been eating lots of green veg and beans and lentils and what not but I think I'm possibly missing something because if feel like **** to be quite honest
Usually, the problem is too few calories, and too little fat. Meat and dairy and eggs are full of calories and fat, and veg food is big on volume, small on calories/fat. What do you eat in a typical day? Post it here or go to one of the sites that will tally up the calories and nutrients. (Is it sparkpeople? Others here will know. )
#7 Old 05-25-2016, 03:03 AM
Beginner

try this one? https://cronometer.com/
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page