Stomach aches - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-07-2016, 03:16 PM

Stomach aches

Hi, I turned vegetarian a few weeks back. Since then I I've been getting quite bad stomach aches and I've being feeling sick quite a lot.
Most days I eat oats, an apple, pasta or pizza and sometimes biscuits, I drink at least a bottle of water a day and usually some kind of fruit juice
Because I've being feeling like this I don't know whether I should start eating meat again or whether my stomach will sort itself out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2016, 03:23 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie.Becca View Post
Hi, I turned vegetarian a few weeks back. Since then I I've been getting quite bad stomach aches and I've being feeling sick quite a lot.
Most days I eat oats, an apple, pasta or pizza and sometimes biscuits, I drink at least a bottle of water a day and usually some kind of fruit juice
Because I've being feeling like this I don't know whether I should start eating meat again or whether my stomach will sort itself out.
You might be having a hard time adjusting to all the fiber. As much as I hate to say this, transitioning a little more slowly might help you quite a bit. You also don't sound like you're getting very balanced nutrition.

Try adding in some beans and other legumes (using epazote if you can find it can help with the gas! You can get it at mexican supply stores or dried online), more vegetables, and more water. "A bottle," doesn't really tell me how much you're getting, as it can be anything from a 12 oz bottle to my hubby's gallon sized one he brings to work!

A variety of whole grains is important as well: oats and wheat are good, but try flirting with quinoa, barley (if you're not gluten free), amaranth, millet, and teff. I know you're young and probably don't often cook for yourself, but if you suggest a few nights a week that you cook meals for the family, you might be able to even out your nutrition.

Try picking up "becoming vegetarian" or Becoming Vegan from the library/amazon/a bookstore. Let your parents read through it with you so that all of you can work together to help sort out your nutrition. It's really important, especially in your teen years when most of your brain development is happening, to plan your diet in a way that will work well nutritionally, and simply not eating the meat on your plate won't make up for what you're missing.

It's better to burn out than fade away! - Def Leppard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 05-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie.Becca View Post
Hi Becca,

If you are having persistent stomach aches, it makes sense to see your doctor. At the very least, they can make sure that it's nothing serious.

Vegetarian whole foods, such as beans, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, are all healthy foods. You could conceivably be allergic to a new food that you are eating.

Also, check to make sure that your diet is balanced. The Vegetarian Society of the UK has published a vegetarian nutrition plate: https://www.vegsoc.org/eatwellplate

Sometimes, new vegetarians make the mistake of eating enormous quantities of raw vegetables, which can be rough on your stomach if you're not used to it. Eating cooked vegetables is also very healthy, and they are easier to digest.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-08-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 AM

Seems like you may be making the change a little too fast. When changing your diet in any way it's always wise to take it slow to give your body chance to get used to the changes and if you are making the changes quick that could be causing the problem. Have you thought about speaking to your doctor to see if they can help you out with the transition?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page