• 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By dormouse
  • 1 Post By preoccupied
  • 1 Post By littestvegan
  • 1 Post By littestvegan

#1 Old 01-01-2016, 03:35 AM

Struggling to maintain

Hello everyone hope you all had a wonderful new year celebrations

Im struggling a little to maintain this journey. I had my first christmas veggie, it was ok but i missed the meat, even though i definitely do not want to eat it. I feel there is something missing.

I kind of find a lot of the meals i have taste similar, its pulses, beans, tomato...with rice. or salad.

im not going back to meat but does anyone else feel this way?? Maybe i just need some new recipies...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2016, 03:58 AM
Veggie turned Vegan

Maybe you would find it easier to use meat substitutes? Before going from Veggie to Vegan I would still have somewhat the same as everyone else except would have a meatfree roast or chicken etc. Still just as tasty and least you know your being healthy and your not eating dead animals!
I'm sure in time this feeling will pass though. Its a big change when you are used to eating meat but it does get easier.

Happy new year!
#3 Old 01-01-2016, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to echo @Starchyvegan 's suggestion to try meat subs. If you're only eating sides during a traditional meal, I can see how you might feel like you're missing something. Do you like nut roasts, vegetarian sausage rolls, chik'n burgers, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-01-2016, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis88 View Post

Im struggling a little to maintain this journey. I had my first christmas veggie, it was ok but i missed the meat, even though i definitely do not want to eat it. I feel there is something missing.

I kind of find a lot of the meals i have taste similar, its pulses, beans, tomato...with rice. or salad.

im not going back to meat but does anyone else feel this way?? Maybe i just need some new recipies...?
I have never felt this way at all as a vegan, but I love to cook and experiment with plant food! It sounds like for you it might be a matter of inexperience and just not knowing what to eat. And if I recall, you are going through a period of depression? It can be hard to motivate oneself to take the time to learn to eat a plant based diet or make any huge change in such a state.

Have you had a look at our recipe section? There are so many blogs and recipe books for vegetarians and vegans now and by reading these you can really open up worlds in terms of different ways to prepare plant based meals. There is so much more to plant meals than beans, rice and vegetables!!! I wish I lived near you as I would gladly cook you some awesome meals. For example, tonight I am making manicotti pasta and stuffing it with tofu/butternut squash/almond meal (ground almonds) "ricotta" and making an enchilada sauce to pour over it. For a dessert I am going to bake canned chickpeas in the oven with a chocolate sauce poured over them (vegan chocolate chips, maple syrup, vanilla extract, coconut oil melted in a pot on the stove) and then refrigerate them for an hour for a sweet crunchy snack. I got that recipe from the Happy Herbivore cookbook.

If you miss meat, chances are you are not eating enough and enough of a variety, and perhaps your meals are too light? Also, invest in some spices and seasonings! They really make a world of difference. I put stuff like cumin, garlic powder, oregano in everything lol. And staples and condiments I use often are tomato paste, vinegars, mustard, apple sauce, canned pineapple (the juice from this makes a great stir fry sauce when you add it in a pot with plant milk, cornstarch or other starch, mustard, ginger), taco seasonings etc. Shredded unsweetened coconut adds a nice layer to casseroles. Those extra little touches help.

I hope you had a great New Years celebration last night!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 01-01-2016, 04:35 AM

thanks everyone i feel better, and will look for recipies online. Just found thug kitchen which is hilarious as well as tasty looking!

Naturebound, wish you could make that for me too mmmmmm

Thanks again xx
LedBoots, Naturebound and David3 like this.
#6 Old 01-01-2016, 04:52 AM
Banned

Maintaining it is hard at times.
#7 Old 01-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
thanks everyone i feel better, and will look for recipies online. Just found thug kitchen which is hilarious as well as tasty looking!

Thanks again xx
I glanced through Thug Kitchen cookbook at a local bookstore and died laughing too lol. Here's me in the kitchen sometimes when I am juggling fifteen things:

What'd I do with that *&@% spoon?

Shoot, I smell something burning!

Stay out of the pancake batter! (to self or partner or dog lol)

Sable, get out of the kitchen!

OMG I am so hungry isn't this done YET!
LedBoots likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 01-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Thanks again xx
Thug kitchen is so funny and the food is good.
#9 Old 01-01-2016, 01:51 PM

had a 'roast' tonight. was delicious! only bad thing was the gravy. how do you guys make veggie gravy??
#10 Old 01-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Beginner

Do you like mushroom soup? You can whip up a simple gravy using that as your base.
I often just by brown gravy in those little packets at the supermarkets. Read the back but typically if it is called brown gravy instead of chicken or beef gravy it's vegetarian.
Also my dad bought me the oh she glows cookbook for Christmas it has a bunch of great recipes with simple ingredients
LedBoots likes this.
#11 Old 01-01-2016, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
had a 'roast' tonight. was delicious! only bad thing was the gravy. how do you guys make veggie gravy??
I'll make it from Better than Boullion no chicken or no beef, or Frontier boullion powder. Make a 'roux' from heating a couple tablespoons of oil, then adding a couple tablespoons flour, let cook a bit then slowly add the broth, wisking well

I'm in america, and Campbells canned mushroom gravy is vegan.

Almost every packet of brown gravy, or even mushroom gravy I've read contains beef flavoring or some kind of animal fat

Mixing some cold water with cornstarch is another good way. Add to hot broth, or bring up the pans burnt on bits with water then add. Fat free and no lumps

Last edited by silva; 01-01-2016 at 03:36 PM.
#12 Old 01-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Vegan since 1991

If you want something different from the beans / rice / tomato thing, I wonder if you might like these?:

Whole wheat spaghetti with lentils and pesto sauce

Pita bread with hummus

Oatmeal with some mashed tofu mixed in, and sweetener (good at any meal)

Sandwich of sliced avocado and tomato, with mustard, on toasted wheat bread

Natural peanut butter on whole grain bread

Beans and corn with Mexican salsa, served cold or hot

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 01-02-2016 at 03:56 PM.
#13 Old 01-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Fellow Hummusapian

I love Thug Kitchen!

I would also agree with the meat subs if you're really craving it. I will say that the holidays are the hardest part of the year for me, not only because I'm around more omnivores than usual but because of old family traditions and things of that nature.

New recipes will definitely help break you out of the beans-&-rice rut. I follow Oh My Veggies on Pinterest for different recipes and ideas, and it keeps me from getting bored. If you don't have a soy allergy, I would recommend trying out tofu and tempeh; I found a wonderful buffalo wing-type tofu recipe online, and it is absolutely delicious.
#14 Old 01-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:

You said that you "missed the meat", but "did not want to eat it".

You need to to figure out EXACTLY WHY you gave up eating meat.

Is it a good reason to abstain from meat going forward?

What are the "benefits" of eating meat vs. not?

Answer that & you'll have your solution.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#15 Old 01-07-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Oatmeal with some mashed tofu mixed in, and sweetener (good at any meal)
David3 I'm intersted, how do you make this? Sounds great for breakfast with some fruit and chia seeds!
#16 Old 01-08-2016, 12:45 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oooo View Post
David3 I'm intersted, how do you make this? Sounds great for breakfast with some fruit and chia seeds!

I just cook some the oatmeal the regular way, and I add some mashed tofu to the pot when the oatmeal is almost done.
Oooo likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#17 Old 01-09-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Hello, welcome to the vegetarian family!

It is normal at the start to want to crave for meat. Our human body takes quite a while to effectively transit and adapt to a new diet, often up to a few months.

When i first started out many years ago, it took me almost a year to fully be able to not have any cravings and for my body to effective adapting to my new vegan diet.

Proudly Asian Vegan for 10 Years

Visit Our Family Store:
for 100% Vegan Bags.

We handcraft bags ranging from backpacks to briefcases for all men and women.
We ship worldwide too.
#18 Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Thug Kitchen is great. My other favorite vegan chef is Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Her website is here: http://www.theppk.com. She has many wonderful cookbooks; my favorite is called Isa Does It.
LedBoots likes this.
#19 Old 01-17-2016, 08:41 AM

thanks guys. Not eaten any meat still but still craving a little, chicken mainly really. i do have quorn though.

i guess i just suck it up!
#20 Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
thanks guys. Not eaten any meat still but still craving a little, chicken mainly really. i do have quorn though.

Hi alexis88
Beyond Meat has some very realistic vegan chicken substitute. Too realistic for me, been vegan too long lol. See if it's available in your area.

Other delicious (but tastes less like actual bird chicken) faux meats are from Gardein. They have lime chipoltle flavored, tenders, etc.

Last edited by LedBoots; 01-17-2016 at 09:33 AM.
#21 Old 01-17-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Hi alexis88
Beyond Meat has some very realistic vegan chicken substitute. Too realistic for me, been vegan too long lol. See if it's available in your area.

Other delicious (but tastes less like actual bird chicken) faux meats are from Gardein. They have lime chipoltle flavored, tenders, etc.
not sure they do it in the UK, looked online and cant find !!
#22 Old 01-18-2016, 10:13 AM

I wonder if there are certain dishes that you are missing. For me, I love bbq and just found a video for bbq pulled mushrooms that looks like it'll hit that spot. I also love battered and fried things, so finding things to get that fix is important. A video for how to do tofu from Vegan Zombie on youtube helped me replace lots of things with tofu. Last night, my family had burgers and I made the tofu patty with saute'd mushrooms and onions and put those into the bun and it tasted great. I've also realized that I have to use a lot of condiments and spices (smoked paprika on pretty much everything). Also, finding your preferred replacements is important. I find that I don't like any commercial meat replacers, but I love firm tofu and mushrooms. Some people love Seitan, but I've tried it several ways and don't like it.

Anyway, is there a certain meat dish that you miss? Maybe a good substitute would help you get that same sensation.
tokyobags likes this.

Last edited by preoccupied; 01-18-2016 at 10:20 AM.
#23 Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Veggie Recycler

Pinterist could potentially be a good resource for you if you want recipes rather than products or restaurants, though you may also find links to products, you can create a vegan board or follow others. It's very easy to search "vegan gravy" or "vegan mushroom gravy" and choose from different suggestions.

If you don't like to cook, you of course can easily make use of mock meats or ready meals like Amys, or do a combination of both home cooking and vegan convenience.
#24 Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:

What kind of chicken? It's important to try to identify what you are actually craving, like if using vegenaise or vegan ranch would make a chkn sandwich more appealing comfort food...or if you are really craving protein or healthy fats, which you can find in soy products as well as beans and quinoa, with some avacdo or even try pan frying a vegan chkn product in a little vegetable oil and whipping up a vegan gravy. ...I find that making a cheese sauce from soy milk and nutritional yeast often times may address a cheese craving better than Daiya, since I'm actually getting B12, amino acids and protein (though I also like Daiya for the flavor for certain comfort foods like pizza, or a vegan Reuben).

Last edited by Thalassa4; 01-19-2016 at 09:35 PM.
#25 Old 02-02-2016, 04:31 PM
Out of the veg closet :)

Quote:

Hi! I know it's been a month since you posted and I hope you are making strides to find a fulfilling and tasty group of foods. I just had one question though? Are you vegetarian or vegan? Because I noticed a lot of people giving great advice on subs and all that, but honestly I knew a couple of vegetarians that utilized eggs and cheese/dairy products quite a lot.

There are always pastas, I love blue corn chips and hummus, make stir-fry with brown rice (or white if you must), make lots of yummy fruit smoothies. You can also if vegetarian incorporate yogurts, honey, and cream-based soups.

If you are vegan ya I know it can be harder but you will definitely find good advice here.

Also one of my go-to meals is easy-peasy: spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, or vegan butter and garlic salt. Fills you up and is delicious and can be made into a sweet mean if you do a little butter, sweetener, cinnamon, maybe even some maple syrup. Yum!!!
#26 Old 02-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Vegan

Quote:

I feel you on this. My family is southern so our holiday dinner are 70% meat. My grandfathers bbq was my favorite thing in the world. The smell drives me crazy, but I could never bring myself to eating meat again. I would for sure look up some recipes for the foods that were had at christmas/thanksgiving and try to mock them.
alexis88 likes this.

Call me Andy
#27 Old 02-02-2016, 10:07 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by littestvegan View Post
I feel you on this. My family is southern so our holiday dinner are 70% meat. My grandfathers bbq was my favorite thing in the world. The smell drives me crazy, but I could never bring myself to eating meat again. I would for sure look up some recipes for the foods that were had at christmas/thanksgiving and try to mock them.
I'm Southern too but my utter psychological disgust with eating pig flesh keeps me from missing bbq. Good thing that many store made BBQ sauces are vegan, and if you are from the old South, you know bbq actually means a vinegar sauce, something that could likely be easily paired with fried salt and pepper tofu...I'm so pleased with most chkn products I've tried I don't have a taste for birds at all, I actually think some are better than the real thing, like a similar taste with none of the gristle or bone...fried chkn with buffalo sauce and vegan ranch was a big happy discovery for me...one of the things I've dreamed about though is biscuits and gravy from Tudors Biscuit World. I've got to try some of the vegan recipes I've found for biscuits and gravy.

By the way...I just found this. Ask your grandfather for the recipe for his sauce. Most Carolina vinegar or mustard sauces are vegan, if it contains butter you could sub Earth Balance and skip the vegan ranch here and add slaw. Because that's what I am going to do when I try this recipe.

http://veganheaven.org/recipe/jackfr...rk-sandwiches/

Last edited by Thalassa4; 02-02-2016 at 10:23 PM.
#28 Old 02-03-2016, 06:09 PM
Vegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
I'm Southern too but my utter psychological disgust with eating pig flesh keeps me from missing bbq. Good thing that many store made BBQ sauces are vegan, and if you are from the old South, you know bbq actually means a vinegar sauce, something that could likely be easily paired with fried salt and pepper tofu...I'm so pleased with most chkn products I've tried I don't have a taste for birds at all, I actually think some are better than the real thing, like a similar taste with none of the gristle or bone...fried chkn with buffalo sauce and vegan ranch was a big happy discovery for me...one of the things I've dreamed about though is biscuits and gravy from Tudors Biscuit World. I've got to try some of the vegan recipes I've found for biscuits and gravy.

By the way...I just found this. Ask your grandfather for the recipe for his sauce. Most Carolina vinegar or mustard sauces are vegan, if it contains butter you could sub Earth Balance and skip the vegan ranch here and add slaw. Because that's what I am going to do when I try this recipe.

http://veganheaven.org/recipe/jackfr...rk-sandwiches/
That's such a good idea. Vinegar for sure. Ha! My grandfather is taking that sauce to his grave. I'll see if he can make me some. But will never give up that recipe.
Thalassa4 likes this.

Call me Andy
#29 Old 02-05-2016, 02:48 AM

ive recently discovered how good halloumi is haha ive had it before but my god, i had fajitas and used halloumi....so so so good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page