• 3 Post By Ember Ruby
  • 1 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By @rno
  • 2 Post By skinnieminnie
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 12-09-2015, 04:59 PM

Smile New veggie!

Hi, I'm a new veggie who is also new to these forums. I've been reading threads, but haven't posted anything until now.

Earlier this year I was pescatarian, after being pollo vegetarian for a few months. I finally managed to convince my parents to let me become full vegetarian in late October. I feel so much happier and healthier. Prior to becoming vegetarian, I never actually planned my diet very well. Realising my mistake, I did a load of research when I became a veggie to make sure I was getting a balanced diet. I even put on some weight (I was underweight before, without knowing it).

I don't think I've ever felt so amazing. I feel not only healthier, but also generally happier about not eating animals. And to be honest, I've never really liked the taste of meat, which has made the whole thing easier. And possibly part of the reason why my omnivorous diet was not very fulfilling, as I generally did not eat much meat, but I wasn't really making much of an effort to get nutrients/protein from other non-meat sources either.

I suppose the silver lining to previously having a poorly planned diet is my ability to quickly shut down anyone who makes uneducated comments about how vegetarian diets are, apparently, nutritionally poor; I can explain how much healthier I am as a vegetarian.

I do wish to become vegan, but my parents will not allow it, sadly. My breakfasts (and usually lunches) are vegan though, because I have full control over what I eat during those meals.

So, back to my question... Does my diet looked balanced enough? I'm still a relatively new veggie, so I'm pretty sure I have a lot to learn. This is what I generally eat on a day to day basis:

Breakfast: Muesli with almond milk, a sliced banana (or pear, if there are no bananas in the house), a tablespoon of cold milled flaxseed, and two different types of nut/seed (e.g. sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashew nuts, walnuts, pecan nuts). I also have a cup of smoothie with added zinc and Vitamin D, and a vegetarian-friendly multivitamin which includes Vitamin B12.

Lunch: Usually a wrap or sandwich with houmous, salad leaves, and a few things including: olives, a sliced up pickle, tomato, falafel, avocado, bell pepper. Or I just have toast with peanut butter or avocado (although I normally just put peanut butter on one piece of toast, and avocado on the other). If I'm very hungry, I have the toast in addition to my sandwich or wrap. I also tend to have a packet of crisps, or some fried spicy Indian chickpeas.

Dinner: Depends on what my parents cook. In the past I've had things like red bell peppers stuffed with rice and goats cheese, with beans and on the side; vegetable soup with grated cheddar cheese; tomato and vegetable pasta. Sometimes I've also had various vegetarian ready meals such as vegetarian Thai noodles, or maybe a salad/sandwich from M&S.

Advice would be very much appreciated. Apologies for my long post.

P.S. I am 15.

Edit: Forgot to add - I often include an Alpro soy yoghurt with my lunches, they are so delicious!

Last edited by Ember Ruby; 12-09-2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Changing some wording very slightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome EmberRuby!

Your days meals sound you're on the right track!
#3 Old 12-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hello EmberRuby,

This looks pretty good - you eat better than I do. Lots of variety!

The only thing I would say is that non-fat dairy foods would be a better choice. Cheese (even goat cheese) is high in saturated fat: http://www.caloriecount.com/calories...e-cheese-i1159 . The British Heart Foundation advises people to strictly limit their intake of saturated fat: https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/...fats-explained

It sounds like you've done very good research on vegetarian diets. You might also enjoy this free Vegetarian Starter Guide from Mercy For Animals - it's very nicely written: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf
Ember Ruby likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

W e l c o m e !

-
-
-
-
-
-
Ember Ruby likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#5 Old 12-10-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hello EmberRuby,

This looks pretty good - you eat better than I do. Lots of variety!

The only thing I would say is that non-fat dairy foods would be a better choice. Cheese (even goat cheese) is high in saturated fat: http://www.caloriecount.com/calories...e-cheese-i1159 . The British Heart Foundation advises people to strictly limit their intake of saturated fat: https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/...fats-explained

It sounds like you've done very good research on vegetarian diets. You might also enjoy this free Vegetarian Starter Guide from Mercy For Animals - it's very nicely written: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VSG.pdf
Thanks.

I hardly have any dairy at all other than a small amount at dinner. I did used to have some cheese with my lunches, but I have grown to mostly dislike cheese unless it is grated or used in cooked food. I am also a bit sensitive to dairy, which I think is mainly because I started having almond milk on my cereal several months ago instead of regular milk, so I have been consuming much less of it. Macaroni and cheese now makes me ill, as does anything else with large amounts of dairy, such as those cheese and potato stuffed bell peppers my dad made for me a few weeks back.

Yeah, that Mercy For Animals vegetarian guide is excellent. I discovered it whilst reading threads, mostly in the new veggie section, and I have it bookmarked.
#6 Old 12-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Fellow Hummusapian

It sounds like you're doing a terrific job!

As far as becoming vegan, if it's something you really want to do, you have only a few more years under your parents' roof and then you're free to make that decision, so I wouldn't sweat it for now. Any animal-product cut is a good cut--meat is a great start.
LedBoots and Ember Ruby like this.
#7 Old 01-12-2016, 08:43 AM
new vegetarian

i became a fully veggie in August, it was not hard as much as balancing a right diet. i totally get you, and to me, your diet looks well-placed. when it comes to being creative i feel so lost haha
#8 Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frannie View Post
i became a fully veggie in August, it was not hard as much as balancing a right diet. i totally get you, and to me, your diet looks well-placed. when it comes to being creative i feel so lost haha
Hi frannie

There are some really good blogs and cookbooks out there. Veggie cooking isn't difficult, there's just a learning curve like anything else. My advice is to get a good knife and a cutting board, and watch a few youtubes on knife skills. Think of preparing your food as a gift to yourself, not a chore, and it becomes easy.

frannie likes this.
#9 Old 01-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Wink Your doing great!

Hi Ruby,

I thought you may like to check out my YouTube channel. I just started to post some easy, simple, delicious Whole food plant based (WFPB) meal ideas. Keep up the good work !

Cheers,
T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page