• 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By VeggieSince88
  • 1 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By Windigo
  • 1 Post By HomesickMango
  • 1 Post By karenlovessnow

#1 Old 08-31-2015, 04:20 PM

Making the change.

I suppose everyone has a reason why they want to make the switch to a plant based diet. For a few years now, I have been working and modifying my diet. Meat has alway been the prime part of the meal. Veggies being involved was oppional. I recently watched a documentary that was eye opening and something clicked .I felt I needed to make a change to my diet right away. I so worry if this is something I can really do.

I am on my second week of limiting my meat intake to once a day. I don't know if its my imagination, but I think I can feel the difference. When I eat meat I feel heavy and lathargic. Where as the veggie meals leave me feeling light and I feel like I can do whatever without tummy problems.

For me the hard part is planning my meals out in advance and taking the time to shop and prepare my meals. I guess you could say I am addicted to convenience. I say to my wife what sounds good and go from there be it fast food or meals in a box or freezer.

I am also having a hard time finding recipes. Some of these veggies plant based meals look just a fattening and bad for you as my old go to meals.

Well, that's where I am at. I am hoping that if this week goes well. Next week I will only eat Meat 1 or 2 times.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd look into no meat at all. Some veggie meals are very easy (soup, for example) Isa Moskowitz's cookbooks are great for beginners (Veganomican, Appetite for Reduction, Vegan With a Vengeance,etc.) as are Sarah Kramer's (How it All Vegan, The Garden of Vegan, etc.) I hope this helps. Good luck.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#3 Old 09-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty much every dinner in our house consists of pasta (spaghetti, ramen noodles, rice noodles, penne) with assorted vegetables (peas, peppers, onion, carrots, green beans, courgette) in either a tomato-based sauce or an Asian sauce of some kind (black bean sauce, soy sauce, peanut sauce.) It's quick, easy, and variable enough so that you don't get bored.

We also do easy roast dinners where I chop peppers and carrots and toss them in the oven with vegetarian sausages, then serve the whole lot drenched in onion gravy. Yum!
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi Yukon Plant based cooking can be very easy, quick, inexpensive, and healthy. Basically, for a meal you want a proteinish thing (beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, seitan, hummus, peanut butter, etc), a starch thing (rice, potato white or sweet, corn, bread, tortilla, pita, etc) some veggies (frozen are good).

Breakfast: something like oatmeal with peanut butter, soymilk, raisins. A banana and/or an orange. Lunch: I make extra whatever dinner was and bring it to work, with some fruit. I get a salad or veg soup to go with it from the work cafe.

If you gain some knife skillz (youtube), veggie cooking takes about 2 minutes prep time. Plus everyone likes to watch people chop stuff up really fast.

Enjoy the journey. Learn to fix a couple breakfasts and a couple dinners, and pretty soon by adding to them, you have an arsenal of meals. Make sure you get enough calories on days you eat veggie. It's easy to undereat.

Btw, when I can't figure out what to cook, I just google 'vegan carrot asparagus potato lentil', or whatever foods I have in the kitchen. Something awesome always pops up, there are great blogs out there!!
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 09-03-2015, 12:31 AM
Longtime vegetarian

If there had been the plethora of vegan/vegetarian products available back in 1988 that we have now, my transition would've been so much easier! You're really lucky, because you literally have an endless assortment of great products to choose from. Personally, I LOVE 'fake meat' products and keep my freezer heavily stocked with them. My favorite brands, hands down, are Gardein and Morningstar Farms, but there are many, many others including Boca, Beyond Meat, and even 'normal' manufacturers, such as Hormel and Rosarita who produce vegetarian/vegan versions of their foods, such as chili and refried beans. You can find everything you need in a regular supermarket. No need to go to pricey specialty stores.

My single best piece of advice (at least in my opinion!) is to *NOT* look for vegetarian recipes. Just use recipes for dishes you already like, but substitute the appropriate vegan/vegetarian products. For example, if you're in the mood for tacos, buy all the same taco fixings you always did--the seasoning packet, the taco shells, the lettuce, tomato, cheese [if you're so inclined], etc., but make the taco filling with Morningstar Farms Crumbles; be SURE to add some olive oil, which gives that nice, gratifying mouth feel...and greasy drip down the arm while eating a taco.
Purp likes this.
#6 Old 09-03-2015, 02:04 AM
Impeach the gangster

I'll just add that it took me 10-years to phase meat out from my diet. I started in 1982, but it was the early '90s before I finally became vegetarian. Just stay committed, @Yukon , and you'll get there!
Purp likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#7 Old 09-03-2015, 04:48 AM
The prowling wolf

Quick and healthy standby for me is always a baked potato stuffed with whatever veggie filling I like. Vegetarian chilli con carne is a big favourite on the baked potato, with some melted cheese or a vegan alternative.

Tossing some mixed veggies in de oven with a few diced potatoes and spices in olive oil is also a great lazy meal.

And if you really don't feel like cooking, oatmeal with golden syrup and some fruit or raisins is hot and satisfying too.

Good starter books for new Veg*ns are Yotam Ottolenghi's ''plenty'' ; Isa chandra moskovitch ''Vegan with a vengeance'' and ofcourse the ''Veganomicon'' .
Purp likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#8 Old 09-03-2015, 05:31 AM

Hey Yukon,
the easiest way to start might be to switch to some of the great meat alternatives out there.
Have you tried this stuff before?

http://www.chooseveg.com/switchnditch
http://beyondmeat.com/products
http://gardein.com/product-type/beefless/

Good luck!
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A vivid introduction to the vegan philosophy and way of living.
#9 Old 09-04-2015, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Pretty much every dinner in our house consists of pasta (spaghetti, ramen noodles, rice noodles, penne) with assorted vegetables (peas, peppers, onion, carrots, green beans, courgette) in either a tomato-based sauce or an Asian sauce of some kind (black bean sauce, soy sauce, peanut sauce.) It's quick, easy, and variable enough so that you don't get bored.

We also do easy roast dinners where I chop peppers and carrots and toss them in the oven with vegetarian sausages, then serve the whole lot drenched in onion gravy. Yum!

I'm coming to live with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 09-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Thx you the helpful tips. I will try them out.
#11 Old 10-23-2015, 08:54 PM

I started my vegetarian journey 3 months ago , and is true!, the first week I felt lighter with more energy, I used to suffer migraines, now it has gone. Some times I eat meat and that days I feel heavy. This motivate me, but I'm in the same stage like you, I'ts hard to me to cook.

I'm going to try a week plan, at night I'm goingo to cut everything and prepare all food for the next day, I hope this save me time and makes me stay inside the path.
#12 Old 10-23-2015, 09:06 PM

"I am also having a hard time finding recipes. Some of these veggies plant based meals look just a fattening and bad for you as my old go to meals."

Maybe you should look up healthy raw food recipes. Btw, Dairy and meat are the fattiest foods. Milk, cheese, butter, meat. Cholesterol, heart attacks etc. not to mention how awkward it must feel to be eating something that is either a bodily fluid, muscle, fat tendon, or organ.
There are also healthy fats, that have deemed evil by big business and dairy/meat companies. They want to get you to buy their lean meat or fat free milk, low fat products. These wind up being worse for you, because they add sugar and artificial flavoring and gums to thicken the products and make them palatable.
For healthy fats, use nuts, olive oil, avocado, and coconut milk. Fat is NOT a bad thing. It is essential for your brain and body, and helps you function and your body survives on it. Don't listen to companies that want to sell you garbage. Nature provides nutrients and healthy foods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page