Become vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By rochirichter

#1 Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM

Exclamation Become vegetarian

Hey there! My name is Rocío, I'm 15 years old and I'm from Argentina, in South America. Here, people use to eat a lot of meat, but since I'm 14 I've wanted to become vegetarian. I readed a lot about this, and I readed about the "warnings" too. I don't wanna be vegetarian because a problem of healthy or for loss weight, I want to become vegetarian because I think all of us, both people and animals, we have right to life and to liberty. But my family (they say I'm like the Lisa Simpson of the family, haha) don't think like this, they say that if I become vegetarian or vegan, it would bring me a lot of health problems. What could be my argument against that? I know this is considered the world largest website about vegetarians (and their derivates) and vegans, so I came here for help because I assumed that more than one haved to deal with a similar situation in the past or inclusive in the present. Thank you all!

P.S: So sorry for my bad english, hahahaha
Ad Elie and Axxonn N like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Red face the switch to vegetarian and vegan

Hey guys!!
I am super passionate about and super excited to share my views and transitioning tricks with you guys!!
if you want to check it out how I transitioned to raw vegan and the steps I took, check out my youtube channel.
It talks about how to transition to a raw vegan as well as my transition story, the ethics and health benefits
and it also has some singing!I post every Tuesday and Thursday!! so please check it out and tell
me what you think!! Thank you so SO SOO much!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUa...z0LQXFuvNv0LiA
#3 Old 07-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochirichter View Post
Hey there! My name is Rocío, I'm 15 years old and I'm from Argentina, in South America. Here, people use to eat a lot of meat, but since I'm 14 I've wanted to become vegetarian. I readed a lot about this, and I readed about the "warnings" too. I don't wanna be vegetarian because a problem of healthy or for loss weight, I want to become vegetarian because I think all of us, both people and animals, we have right to life and to liberty. But my family (they say I'm like the Lisa Simpson of the family, haha) don't think like this, they say that if I become vegetarian or vegan, it would bring me a lot of health problems. What could be my argument against that? I know this is considered the world largest website about vegetarians (and their derivates) and vegans, so I came here for help because I assumed that more than one haved to deal with a similar situation in the past or inclusive in the present. Thank you all!

Your English is fine. There are many reasons to become a vegetarian. I am a vegetarian because I have seen far too many people die from what they put in their mouth. I am very empathetic to the plight of animals, and that is a wonderful reason to eliminate animal products from your food list. I do not think your family is correct. You can tell them, if you want, that vegetarians who eliminate all meat, eggs, dairy (milk and cheese) actually have a lower risk of cancer, lower chance of cardiovascular (heart problems), they have less chance of diabetes, they age at a slower rate, live healthier lives. There are many vegetarians who do not eat well though, and do have health problems. So you do have to live in a healthy way too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-27-2015, 11:21 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

I never had any problems with my health which could be caused by my lifelong vegetarianism.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#5 Old 07-27-2015, 11:38 PM
From Another Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochirichter View Post

First off, your English is fine!

I "went" vegetarian when I was 14, but I kinda wanted to be for a few years earlier. My family responded with skepticism as well, usually asking how I'd get my protein and such. While I'm not the healthiest person out there right now, I personally benefited from going vegetarian. I started looking more into what's in my food, and I started to branch out with what I ate. I think the best response to your family's argument would simply be that any diet can be unhealthy. There's also evidence out there that would suggest that eating meat (particularly red meat) can lead to a lot of health problems, and many do turn to a vegetarian diet for health reasons.

Vegetarian diets are often quite healthy if done right-- the same goes for any diet, vegetarian or not. If you think your family will be really understanding with this, maybe talk over with them some of the nutrients they're concerned that you'll miss out on (such as protein) and then decide on ways to get those nutrients through a vegetarian diet. I'm sure they'll be more likely to be supportive if you can give them examples that show you've done a bit of research, and you might want to consider at least in the short run taking a vitamin if there's a particular concern (I've never had to, but I'm sure that helps with some).
#6 Old 07-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Rochi,

Favor de perdonar mi espanol.

La Sociedad Argentina de Nutricion ha escrito un reporte detallado del vegetarianismo: http://www.sanutricion.org.ar/files/...sion_final.pdf

Aqui esta una guia vegetariana: http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/spanishvsk

Rochi, es importante evitar el error de no comer suficientes calorias. Es facil hacer este error, porque alimentos vegetarianos (frijoles, granos, papas, frutas) contienen menos calorias que la carne, el pollo, y alimentos de la leche. Aqui esta una calculadora de calorias necesarias: http://www.dietas.net/tablas-y-calcu...as-necesarias/ . Entonces, recordar que:

Una copa (240 ml) de frijoles hervidos contiene unas 230 calorias

Una copa de granos hervidos contiene unas 200 calorias

Una copa de fruta fresca (no seca) contiene unas 40-100 calorias

Una copa de verduras (lechuga, espinacas) contiene unas 5-40 calorias

Una papa mediana contiene unas 120 calories

Una copa de nueces contiene unas 700-1000 calorias

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 07-28-2015 at 09:31 PM.
#7 Old 07-29-2015, 07:47 PM
MEA

I think vegetarianism is great and can be very healthy. You will be paying more attention to what is in your food, and eating a plant based diet with many, many fresh fruits and vegetables.

Quick tips:
-don't start using sugar for your energy.
-make sure you get enough protein & iron (my family always complained about this but really it isn't hard to find protein & iron in vegetarian foods).

Check out my blogs for more info & recipes! http://meababes.weebly.com/
Have a nice day!

Tags
animals rights , under-age , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page