I was eagerly looking forward to become a vegetarian until I heard this - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 155Likes

#31 Old 07-28-2015, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadamSarcastra View Post
Ughhh... thanks for the encouraging words. **sigh** LOL :-\ I love eggs, I love cheese.... and I can do amazing things with both. What producers (in or around Michigan, preferably) can I trust to be humane in their practices?? Are these poor gassed hens then used for food elsewhere, or are they treated as garbage? This make me ill. I've already cut out SO much in my diet (super low sodium, NO ADDED SALT when I cook, no animal "enzymes"/gelatin/vitamin A palmitate, etc... no restaurant/take-food, no preservative-laden processed crapola, organic/non-GMO whenever possible, even better if locally farmed)....

I'm so tired of bad news & I don't want to feel like a fraud. That being said, I don't want "fake" food either (food masquerading as other food, meaning no egg-like substitutes, no cashew-cheese, and absolutely NO tofu.... yick.)

I hope I can get some helpful information that will make me feel better instead of worse. Thanks muchly.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the spent hens are made into pet food and that kind of thing. I'm not sure if that makes you feel better or worse! These are standard practices in the egg industry, so you're not likely to find a company that doesn't kill hens and chicks. Gas is probably better than the grinder that some farms use, so that's... something, I guess.

It's not a pretty business and there's no way to make it sound good, but-- and this is a big "but"-- as others have said, every step you take to save animal lives is a step in the right direction. You should feel proud of what you've done so far. It took me over a decade after going vegetarian to give up dairy and eggs. Some people never do, and that's fine. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I just thought you should know what you're eating so that you can make an informed decision.
Naturebound and SilverCat like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-28-2015, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I hope you don't mean real Mayo. You know that is made of eggs, right? Maybe you mean vegan mayo, like Nayomaise.
#33 Old 07-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post
I hope you don't mean real Mayo. You know that is made of eggs, right? Maybe you mean vegan mayo, like Nayomaise.
Gita, Just Mayo is a brand of egg-free mayo. It's absolutely delicious, too!
LedBoots and Ironandavocados like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Beginner

I went vegetarian 4 months ago because of the cruelty animals have to suffer, shortly after I realised you can't really be a vegetarian for moral reasons and still contribute to the eggs and dairy farming which are just as bad.

I'm currently somewhere between vegetarian and vegan, no eggs, milk or yoghurt. Just a few more things to cut out and I'll be about there.
#35 Old 07-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the spent hens are made into pet food and that kind of thing. I'm not sure if that makes you feel better or worse! These are standard practices in the egg industry, so you're not likely to find a company that doesn't kill hens and chicks. Gas is probably better than the grinder that some farms use, so that's... something, I guess.

It's not a pretty business and there's no way to make it sound good, but-- and this is a big "but"-- as others have said, every step you take to save animal lives is a step in the right direction. You should feel proud of what you've done so far. It took me over a decade after going vegetarian to give up dairy and eggs. Some people never do, and that's fine. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I just thought you should know what you're eating so that you can make an informed decision.
It does make me feel a tad better, actually. I don't like waste, so if the poor doomed fowl are used to possibly help feed my best buddy's three cats I absolutely adore, then I think I can be OK with that. If someone else isn't, then the problem doesn't lie with me. And it's not an everyday thing with the eggs.... once a week (or every two), I'll whisk up a couple eggs, cook slowly in some garlic-infused olive, sprinkle in LOTS of pre-made couscous (with onion, tomato, baby spinach, etc.), and I have a hearty, nutritious filler for four or five sandwich wraps... with additional veggies, of course. ;-) So a couple eggs for several meals isn't too shabby for now. Thank you for the information, unpleasant as it was. It's rough goins but I'm really trying to stay upbeat about this. I haven't just changed my diet, but my attitude as well.... trying to be a more decent human being, trying to laugh more, keeping anxiety to a minimum, cut toxic food (and people) out of my life, and blah, blah, blah.... LOL
no whey jose likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra
#36 Old 07-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
I loved Just Mayo, but my co-op doesn't carry it anymore!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#37 Old 07-28-2015, 05:58 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
Was it refrigerated before? It is shelf stable, but many stores put it in the section with Vegannaise and the other more expensive vegan mayos. The "Just Mayo" people want to compete with the Hellmans and other egg mayos, so they prefer to be on the shelf and encourage stores to do so. Maybe your store moved it?
Tom likes this.
#38 Old 07-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
I have found Just Mayo at Target stores and also Dollar Tree stores. 7 Eleven also now carries it. And I believe that Walmart sells it? If you go to the Hampton Creek Just mayo website and type in your zip code under the find it menu, you'll get a list of retailers in your area that sell it. If nothing else, you can ask a store to supply it!
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#39 Old 07-28-2015, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Was it refrigerated before? It is shelf stable, but many stores put it in the section with Vegannaise and the other more expensive vegan mayos. The "Just Mayo" people want to compete with the Hellmans and other egg mayos, so they prefer to be on the shelf and encourage stores to do so. Maybe your store moved it?
I asked for it in a grocery I don't normally go to and the refridgerated section guy pointed me to the shelves-and the shelves guy pointed to the fridge

I got a 32 oz at Target for $5.00. It wasn't even hard to open, once we pryed the plastic top like you would a metal lid. It screws open easily (referencing another thread on them being hard to open)

Love that stuff with horseradish, for thousand island (seitan reubens!!) and ranch with fresh dill, garlic and onion powders and I think something else (?)
LedBoots likes this.
#40 Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The chicken argument is logical, but the conclusion is a slippery slope. All chickens will end up being eaten (unless they are wild or a personal pet). Layers are kept around as long as they can put out a certain amount of eggs per day. Then when they reach a certain age, like 3 or 4,
It's actually closer to 18 months. (I hate to correct you, especially to point out a horrible situation is even worse).

Quote:
Ughhh... thanks for the encouraging words. **sigh** LOL :-\ I love eggs, I love cheese.... and I can do amazing things with both. What producers (in or around Michigan, preferably) can I trust to be humane in their practices?? Are these poor gassed hens then used for food elsewhere, or are they treated as garbage? This make me ill. I've already cut out SO much in my diet (super low sodium, NO ADDED SALT when I cook, no animal "enzymes"/gelatin/vitamin A palmitate, etc... no restaurant/take-food, no preservative-laden processed crapola, organic/non-GMO whenever possible, even better if locally farmed)....

I'm so tired of bad news & I don't want to feel like a fraud. That being said, I don't want "fake" food either (food masquerading as other food, meaning no egg-like substitutes, no cashew-cheese, and absolutely NO tofu.... yick.)

I hope I can get some helpful information that will make me feel better instead of worse. Thanks muchly.
When you say no tofu....yick. Is the yick because you don't like the texture? I had some really bad tofu, which I'd bought myself so only have me to blame, years before I went veg. It took having some really good tofu, for me to see the benefits in it. These days I have tofu scramble every morning!

I must be weird because I don't mind cashew cheese. Though, I only have it on pizza and I make it myself.

Quote:
I haven't just changed my diet, but my attitude as well.... trying to be a more decent human being, trying to laugh more, keeping anxiety to a minimum, cut toxic food (and people) out of my life, and blah, blah, blah.... LOL
I try to just not be a terrible human being, decent seems like an awfully high bar some days :P
#41 Old 07-30-2015, 05:21 PM
h2o

Doing a little bit of good is better than doing no good.
#42 Old 07-30-2015, 09:30 PM

Is it OK to increase the Egg and Milk consumption to replace the protein lost by not eating meat (at least temporarily)?

Last edited by SilverCat; 07-30-2015 at 10:44 PM.
#43 Old 07-30-2015, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCat View Post
Is it OK to increase the Egg and Milk consumption to replace the protein lost by not eating meat (at least temporarily)?
Why, though? There are much better sources of protein.
GingerAndLemons likes this.
#44 Old 07-31-2015, 12:34 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Quote:
Is it ok for you ? It's not really ok for me, so I try to not use much of them. If you look at the slaughtering, then I'd say having an extra sunny-side-up egg once a week is less bad than eating the chicken's wings.

On average a cow produces 28 L milk per day, 10 months a year, for . 28*30*10 = 8400 L per year. Each year we kill one calf for that. I guess you participate to less killing by drinking a bit more milk than eating any kind of meat (well beside that calf that will obviously be eaten). I'm amazed by the difference between milk cows (28L/day) and meat cows (4L/days).

http://www.ciwf.fr/animaux-de-ferme/...vage-standard/

Bon appétit !
#45 Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Vegan as f**k

To the OP: go ahead and cut out the chicken from your diet as a first step. Then gradually build up to removing eggs from your diet due to the reasons discussed already - slaughtering of "spent" hens/ male chicks.
#46 Old 08-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
It's actually closer to 18 months. (I hate to correct you, especially to point out a horrible situation is even worse).

When you say no tofu....yick. Is the yick because you don't like the texture? I had some really bad tofu, which I'd bought myself so only have me to blame, years before I went veg. It took having some really good tofu, for me to see the benefits in it. These days I have tofu scramble every morning!

I must be weird because I don't mind cashew cheese. Though, I only have it on pizza and I make it myself.

I try to just not be a terrible human being, decent seems like an awfully high bar some days :P
Heeheeheehee.... well put. LMAO =)
Tiger Lilly likes this.

~ MadamSarcastra
#47 Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Heeheeheehee.... well put. LMAO =)
Right?! :P

I was also thinking (and this reminded me)if you do want to give tofu a try, check out the recipe section on the boards.

I'm big on mouth feel. I HATE anything too sloppy (like jelly. EW! There's even some jelly lollies that I wouldn't eat as a kid because they were too....soft....I didn't like it). While some tofu is like that, other types isn't.

I'd just hate for you to miss out on something delicious. Because delicious food is delicious.
#48 Old 08-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Banned

SilverCat: "Animals are being killed."

*door appears labelled "Vegetarianism"*

*SilverCat enters the door*

SilverCat: "Animals are still being exploited though."

*door appears labelled "Veganism"*

SilverCat: "AW HELL NAW!"
#49 Old 09-13-2015, 01:31 AM

If you want to ingest ethical fowl menstruations, just get some chickens and treat them nicely. They'll be fresh too. *dry heaves*
#50 Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post

I needed that little chuckle today.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#51 Old 09-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I have potato and onion sandwiches all the time. Tastes a bit like cheese sandwiches. Especially sriracha on it. Chick peas mash sandwiches are also great.
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.
#52 Old 09-14-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I really appreciate all the replies! Thanks.

My main reason to not to give up eggs is that they are a cheap good complete protien source. They come in handy. I am in to body building and need high protien. I also have a limtied budget.
Hi,
I totally understand why you'd be nervous to give up eggs in this case but it absolutely can be done!
I eat a low carb/higher fat vegan diet and I'm a mother of 3 so I'm on a TIGHT budget. I buy beyond meat beefy crumbles and beast burgers, or chicken strips, along with a plant based protein like vega (when it's on sale!) or bodylogix. I follow the same meal prep I would have before, just using the beyond meat products.
I also found a peanut butter that has pea protein in it, I have to check and see the brand for you.
#53 Old 09-14-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
It's very good, I use it to make salad dressing
LedBoots likes this.
#54 Old 09-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I have potato and onion sandwiches all the time. Tastes a bit like cheese sandwiches. Especially sriracha on it. Chick peas mash sandwiches are also great.
*pricks up ears*

Potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables but I've never thought about them as a sandwich filling- and I've often been quite unconventional in what I call a "sandwich". More info please?

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#55 Old 09-18-2015, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

You could also once in a while replace your egg with a red lentils if you are looking for a high amount of protein for body building. 1/2 cup is 25g of protein according to the label on my dried red lentils. Can make a wonderful cold salad or hot soup with those and they are cheap for the amount of food they offer cooked per bag. Quinoa is also great, a bag seems to not be cheap but it makes a tons of portions once cooked so in the end, per portion, it's very acceptable on a tight budget. Non-dairy milk is also a good source.

"To the world you may be just one person, but to one life you may be the world."

#56 Old 09-18-2015, 11:54 AM

I have been a veghead now for about 9months. i also am also ova-lacto. if maybe a ease of mind is that you get a open free range chicken that is not placed in a cage? or if there are farms in your area hit them up. I love eggs. and they pop out naturally as have been said before. I love cheese as well. if you take the time and read some labels there is quite a bit out there. its a matter of educating yourself. and how far you want to take it. I converted becasue of religious reason. At first it was just meat. but now I have expanded to other areas. for me there is some kind of satisfaction that I am doing something other than nothing . and that my actions are good and produce good karma. I try not to kill anything not even bugs. I may not be changing the world. but at least. i can have a positive effect on some of it.
#57 Old 09-18-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post

So you are here whining about people not being Vegan in the Vegetarian section (did you at least notice that?). And you eat all the meat you can get if you get them for Free.

Well.....knowing your earlier posts, this doesn't even surprise me.

Last edited by SilverCat; 09-18-2015 at 06:57 PM.
#58 Old 09-19-2015, 04:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
So you are here whining about people not being Vegan in the Vegetarian section (did you at least notice that?). And you eat all the meat you can get if you get them for Free.

The way you post things makes it easy for people to make fun of or attack you. Personally I have refrained, because this board is a pretty peaceful place and I don't want to look like a bad guy here while I am reading up on all the valuable info. the members here have to share!

I think people are going out of their way to offer you honest advice even though any person can easily find a replacement to animal products within just a couple minutes of google or youtube. To become vegetarian or vegan sacrifices must be made, if you have a hard time doing that then maybe you are right - this is not for you.

You can either live a life of misery continuing to contradict yourself, you can go all in vegan and sleep better at night, you can forget it all and put the blinders back on while sucking down eggs KNOWING there is evil behind it, or find your own happy place somewhere in the middle. By the nature of your post and title I just don't know what else to say.
no whey jose likes this.
#59 Old 09-19-2015, 04:24 AM
Banned

Quote:

SilverCat, I haven't intentionally eaten meat since I last found myself peer pressured in an elementary school cafeteria.

Freeganism isn't eating what's free, it's not wasting what's been discarded. If someone offered me a steak, a cake, or even a dab of honey completely free of charge, no bells or whistles, no strings attached, or I even SUSPECTED that any one of those things was intentionally left out in the middle of nowhere for me, then accepting that thing would enable the industry that produces that thing. It wouldn't directly fund them, no, but it would enable them.

Take the uncooperative parent example: You don't eat X because you disagree with how it is made, but they insist that you should eat X, so they prepare dinner with X in it. Even if I'm not paying for it, accepting X would reinforce that parent's notions and incentivize the purchase of X, thereby encouraging the manufacturers of X to make more X. In freeganism, that chain of supply and demand is gone because the food has been thrown out, left over, or otherwise written off as a loss. It's already been made, and in most cases purchased by a third party, so the crimes committed to make it can't be prevented, and the third party's purchase which incentivizes recommitting those crimes can't be undone. The only exception at this point is to ensure that if the product is to be consumed at all that it is consumed in a way that doesn't incentivize the third party who incentivizes the manufacturer. In this way, even if I did eat meat and freeganism spread, the prevalence of meat products would decrease by design.

It all comes down to this:
The companies who produce these products earn no profits from me because I don't buy them,
they don't even earn profits from selling to other people to give to me because I've informed those people that I won't accept them,
and the companies don't even get to convince themselves they're doing something good because I won't even accept them as donations.
Even in the hyper unlikely scenario that a company were to commit resources towards leaving their food unattended with the intention that I would eat it, and I found out, I still wouldn't.

Only under the circumstances that my consumption of their product would yield absolutely no perceivable impact, or at least a negative impact on their business will I consider eating it. And even then... yuck.

The only time I've ever accepted a non-vegan food item from somebody is after I've obtained their solemn oath never to purchase that thing for me again... and I trusted them to keep their word.

Also I wasn't whining. I was pontificating.
#60 Old 09-19-2015, 05:40 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
So I am hoping to become a vegetarian once I get my first salary. I felt sorry for the animals(I only eat chicken and fish so far) so I am hoping to become a vegetarian soon.

I wanted to save the chicken from their suffering so I am going to be a vegetarian. But I recently heard that chicken are still being tortured for eggs. Since I am not even close to giving up eating eggs (as it doesn't kill animals), I do not see a point of being a vegetarian any more. They are going to suffer anyway. Eggs or meat. Now I feel de-motivated. What should I do?

No I am not going to be a Vegan.

Thanks.
Silvercat, we do what we can. Going back to eating meat because you found out about the egg issue certainly isn't going to change anything. The chickens, fish, cows, lambs, turkeys, pigs, ducks, geese, deer, etc that you eat would die. And presumably you would still eat eggs, so no help there either.

Nothing is perfect, including veganism. Ovo vegetarianism is a million times better than meat eating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page