Need help with a problem. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 2 Post By no whey jose

#1 Old 06-10-2015, 03:46 PM

Need help with a problem.

My wife wants to loose weight and also quit eating mammal meat. That's all I'll say on that subject !...I can't remember the last time I / we ate red meat or pork. I gave up crackers and chips about three years ago. I no longer make my world famous Brownies or Meatloaf . For a crunchy snack, I eat dry spoon size shredded wheat ( if I feel like living on the wild side, I eat Otria Greek Yogurt Veggie Dip with them ) . I / we eat meatless hamburgers and hot dogs with a side of asparagus ( from our garden ). My problem is I MISS FLAVOR and still feel hungry soon after eating!!

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

you miss having a lot of dense fatty foods. you can still have them, they are called field roast and they make veggie burgers, sausages, hot dogs, and cheese that are very fatty and not much healthier (if at all) than the real thing. there are also so delicious coconut ice creams that are wonderful.

they don't involve torture and murder so they are a better choice. eat those. you will not feel hungry soon after eating them.

but if you want health benefits too, try to cut back on those kinds of foods.

eventually you can use them as special treats but not 3-4 times per day.
#3 Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Doug,

Thank you for stating your question so clearly.

You are feeling hungry partly because meatless hamburgers and hot dogs are much lower in calories than regular burgers/dogs:

A "Smart Dog" meatless hot dog contains 45 calories:
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTgyODY1.html

A regular beef hot dog contains 165 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTcwMjEx.html

Of course, eating fewer calories will help with weight loss, but eating too few calories will leave you feeling hungry and fatigued!

Regarding getting more flavor: you might enjoy low-fat sauces like salsa, mustard, and A-1 Steak Sauce (it's good on lots of things, not just steak). For salads, you might enjoy balsamic vinegar - it's so good that you won't even need all that high-calorie olive oil.

Beans are a filling food, with fewer calories per cup than skinless chicken. You might enjoy low-fat vegetarian chili beans (Dennison's makes a very good vegetarian chili). You can also add chili to your favorite dishes (pour it over spaghetti, for instance).
Capstan and LedBoots like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 06-10-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-11-2015, 02:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtinsmith View Post
My wife wants to loose weight and also quit eating mammal meat. That's all I'll say on that subject !...I can't remember the last time I / we ate red meat or pork. I gave up crackers and chips about three years ago. I no longer make my world famous Brownies or Meatloaf . For a crunchy snack, I eat dry spoon size shredded wheat ( if I feel like living on the wild side, I eat Otria Greek Yogurt Veggie Dip with them ) . I / we eat meatless hamburgers and hot dogs with a side of asparagus ( from our garden ). My problem is I MISS FLAVOR and still feel hungry soon after eating!!

Doug
Well, you're a stronger person than I am..... They will get my chips and brownies when they prize them from my cold, dead, hands

Depending on the flavours you like and any other restrictions you're looking at, depends on what you can look at to fill that void.

When it comes to hamburgers and hot dogs, have a look at condiments. I don't really enjoy lots of sauces on anything (ruins the texture in my book). But a lot of BBQ sauces are actually vegan. Dijon mustard is amazing for a kick of flavour. I'm a big fan of basil pesto (I make my own, just basically pine nuts, olive oil and basil leaves). I also like to use mushrooms, sometimes sauteed in a bit of garlic and a touch of tamari, but just cooked all by themselves works too.

Nuts add a bit of flavour and 'fattiness' to things, while still being quite healthy in my book. They tend to fill me up a bit too. Roasting nuts seems to work best, to bring out the flavour. Pine nuts are my favourite. But you can make some great spreads, just by soaking a cup of cashews in some water for say 5 minutes, then blending it till it's a spread. I like to add salt, but you've said you'd done away with that in an intro post, so don't feel it's necessary.

Legumes/beans are amazing for filling you up too. Lentils and chickpeas are my staples, but pretty much anything in a tomato sauce, over some pasta will work for me

Hope some of those suggestions work.
LedBoots likes this.
#5 Old 06-11-2015, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

You might try a simple vegatable curry, that would add a lot of flavor to veggies. If you don't know how to make it from scratch you can always buy a jar of curry sauce in the grocery store. What about spaghetti or lasagna? Pasta sauce is very flavorful. If you're worried about eating pasta you can make "noodles" with zucchini. A stir-fry should give you a lot of flavor.
#6 Old 06-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tow View Post
I have an issue with your use of torture and murder!

As someone who was once in a way of life that involved raising and eating animals and their bi-products how can you say that I tortured or abused or even murdered my animals?
@cuberail didn't accuse you of doing anything. She said that vegetarian alternatives don't involve torture and murder. Surely you accept that the vast majority of animal products do. As on the other thread, I suggest that you look into the conditions on factory farms, where most of the world's meat is produced.

Quote:
The harvesting of my animals was done in the presence of witnesses and if i had ever murdered an animal I surely would be in jail. Just as slicing the head off a cabbage in front of his buddy is not murder either is harvesting an animal for it's food.
Animals, unlike cabbage, are sentient creatures capable of suffering. You cannot "harvest" a non-human animal's meat any more than you could a human's. What you did was slaughter sentient creatures.

Quote:
But you cannot change who we are.....we are animals ourselves. We can only choose to eat things we want because of modern ways. Our ancestors could not have been eaters like we are today as the resources were not available in large quantities.
We are animals capable of discerning right from wrong. We are animals who can choose not to cause unnecessary suffering and death-- and, unlike our ancestors, we have the means to do so. We can't justify our actions by pointing our fingers at others and saying "They do it, too!" When has that ever been an acceptable excuse to commit an immoral act?
Scorpius and leedsveg like this.
#7 Old 06-11-2015, 04:14 PM

Moderator,
I believe I've learned all I'll be able to learn in this thread, so, will you please shut it down?

Doug
#8 Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtinsmith View Post
Moderator,
I believe I've learned all I'll be able to learn in this thread, so, will you please shut it down?

Doug
No problem, Doug.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page