Transitioning - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By mariahchelsey
  • 1 Post By sigrid
  • 1 Post By mariahchelsey

#1 Old 05-17-2015, 01:48 PM

Transitioning

So for the better part of a year now I have been trying to switch to vegetarian. Mostly for environmental reasons. Boyfriend/ husband was brought up to eat a lot of meat. The reason it has taken so long to get to this point is because he is against it. Basically joined this forum to get support and advice. Nice to meet ya'll.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2015, 02:22 PM

You should not let his choices deterr you. It might be easier on both of you if you use and adapt recipea you already eat rather than swithing to a whole new meal plan off the bat. Cook and eat what you would normally eat, but replace meat with tofu or textured soy and so on. Try new recipes every now and then and after a while it should become easier. If a part of the reluctance is because of perceived limitations, this should work to eliminate that.

I live with two omnivores and sadly the only vegans I know are my rabbits, but sticking to my diet is the easiest part of it all. I make my food choices and they eat their own, but we do make common meals. It's fairly easy to adapt recipes between us. Like pasta, rice dishes, salads, ethnic cuisine and even dessert. We prepare things together and we diverge when the recipes require it. The hard part is that they don't get it.
#3 Old 05-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

My husband is an omnivore as well, though he doesn't eat much meat. It becomes easier to just make vegetarian meals after a while! Sometimes he adds cheese to his portion at the end. It's very possible to coexist at mealtime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-17-2015, 06:02 PM

I hope one day I can get to that stage with him. He is still very picky with vegetables. It is like he has to have meat at every meal especially red meat. I may hold off for a little while before I tell him. Before I decided to make the full on switch I already barely ate meat. I always picked at it because I didn't like seeing the fat or other stuff on it. Thinking about it now makes me feel bleh. Also becoming more environmentally aware added to it. I hope that I can meet people in this area that are also vegetarian.
no whey jose likes this.
#5 Old 05-18-2015, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

I wish you luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page