Substitue Vital Wheat Gluten & Gluten Flour - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-25-2015, 09:10 PM

Substitue Vital Wheat Gluten & Gluten Flour

Can I substitute gluten flour with All Purpose Flour? I have not found gluten flour anywhere except online and I cannot afford those prices. Also I read somewhere that you can substitute eggs for Vital Wheat Gluten but there was no information on how much eggs to substitute. So say I need one cup of Vital Wheat Gluten how many eggs would I need? Or is that even a viable substitution and if not what might be? Again its too costly and not found in a store anywhere near me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2015, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to the Bob's Red Mill website and found their Vital Wheat Gluten product. Then typed in Charlston South Carolina to see if they had that product in any stores there and they indeed do. Here is a list and here is the product:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/store-finder.html

(Looks like Earth Fare and Big Lots stores sell it there)

http://www.bobsredmill.com/vital-wheat-gluten.html

Although one package of it is almost $8, a little goes a long way and it will last a while.

Vital Wheat gluten is different than all purpose flour so I don't know if you could substitute one for the other, although I have heard there is a long process you can do to turn flour into vital wheat gluten but it is complicated and I have never personaly tried it. According to this site: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/vita...tes-11667.html you could substitute it with egg or xanthan gum or guar gum. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. I have only ever used it for making seitan or as an aid in making whole wheat bread.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 01-26-2015, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the link. The Big Lots is pretty close to me.

Last edited by HerzeleidMeister; 01-26-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

What are you trying to make?

You can make seitan with wheat flour but it's quite a lengthy process. I've never done it with flour.

I get Bob's Red Mill gluten for under $5.00 a lb. bag at a discount store. Same bag costs about $8. at the natural food stores.

If you see it at Big Lots post the price!
#5 Old 01-26-2015, 06:05 AM

I'm going to be making homemade veggie lunch meat & Italian sausage. I just got my steamer so I can make my other seitan-like "meats".

#6 Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 PM
just add raisins

I know a few people who have made seitan from wheat flour and they didn't make it seem too bad. I think the trick is to hunt around for a description of the process where someone's already done it quite a few times and streamlined the process! Here's one how-to that makes it look pretty easy - http://www.instructables.com/id/Seitan-Made-Easy/

Instead of boiling it in broth, you can knead in flavourings and then wrap it in foil and steam it for 45 minutes or so, which also works pretty well and is less likely to get waterlogged than boiling.
#7 Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropscone View Post
I know a few people who have made seitan from wheat flour and they didn't make it seem too bad. I think the trick is to hunt around for a description of the process where someone's already done it quite a few times and streamlined the process! Here's one how-to that makes it look pretty easy - http://www.instructables.com/id/Seitan-Made-Easy/

Instead of boiling it in broth, you can knead in flavourings and then wrap it in foil and steam it for 45 minutes or so, which also works pretty well and is less likely to get waterlogged than boiling.

Hmmm that looks like an idea I might try.

#8 Old 02-03-2015, 01:21 PM

What about Gluten flour? What is the difference between that and regular flour?

#9 Old 02-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerzeleidMeister View Post
What about Gluten flour? What is the difference between that and regular flour?
It gets a little confusing ...

Much of the time 'gluten flour' refers to flour with a high gluten content, higher than bread flour but still flour with the starch in it. 'Vital wheat gluten" or "gluten" is just the protein, with the starch removed. BUT ...

I've seen vital wheat gluten under the name 'gluten flour', no doubt just to confuse us. Other brands might use similar misnaming, but I don't know of any others off the top o' me head. The brand was Bob's, but I see they changed the name. They call VWG just that now ...

I have a friend who had been making gluten by washing the starch out of AP flour. She was quite surprised (and delighted!) when I told her about vital wheat gluten. Washing out the starch isn't really a difficult process but time consuming as all get out.

EDIT: This link explains the difference some.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Last edited by Dave in MPLS; 02-04-2015 at 11:40 AM.
#10 Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Baking is another option. I usually bake it because I don't have to worry about the liquid boiling off like with steaming.

Boiling is more simmering. If you bring it to a boil the texture gets unpleasant.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#11 Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 PM

Ok so there is no difference between vital wheat gluten and gluten flour? They are the same thing just different names?

#12 Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 PM

Location: Windsor, Ontario Canada right at the border with Detroit
I have made several batches of Seitan. The easiest is following the recipe in the New Chicago Diner Cookbook. This starts from the point of using Vital Wheat Gluten. As a beginner I would not suggest you start trying to wash whole wheat flour. And I too, use Bobs RedMill products, $5 in Canada in local grocery chains. In answer to your question though, no you cannot substitute whole grain flour for VWG in Seitan making. Just a bit of advice from a fairly new vegan...at first I ran around trying to make or buy all these big protein substitutes for animal protein. Now I have relaxed a bit and realize protein is in all sorts of plant based products, just make sure you have a broad range of foods, and you get enough CALORIES, and you will likely find the protein takes care of itself. (I also love the eggless egg salad recipe in the Chicago Diner book and make it every week!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page