Where do you get your everyday protein as a vegetarian/vegan? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

#31 Old 01-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Lovable misanthrope

I wouldn't go as far as protein shakes unless you exercise a lot and you have a very limited diet. Saying that I don't have anything against protein shakes I just think they are not necessary if you eat well. Most vegetables have a lot of protein in them, even fruit is 5% protein and beans and lentils are 25% protein. Hope this helps...

it takes guts to be gentle and kind

Last edited by MozIsMyShepherd; 01-16-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
I would go as far as protein shakes unless you exercise a lot and you have a very limited diet. Saying that I don't have anything against protein shakes I just think they are not necessary if you eat well. Most vegetables have a lot of protein in them, even fruit is 5% protein and beans and lentils are 25% protein. Hope this helps...
Yes it is definitely true that a veggie/ vegan can get enough protein from their diet

I agree that protein shakes can be useful for some people if used in conjunction with exercise...

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#33 Old 01-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

lentils, soya and some other vegetables I don't know the English name of. I take a soya supplement as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Beginner

I usually have a bowl of oatmeal with nuts or nut butter, fruit, cinnamon, an almond milk. If I don't want to wake up in time to actually make oatmeal (which is almost every day) I soak all everything in the almond milk overnight and blend it into a smoothie in the morning. I've never really considered it to be a protein shake since it doesn't come powdered in a plastic jug and it actually tastes good. However, depending on the nuts/nut butters I put into it, it has about 25%-30% of the protein I need in a day. It also has about a third of the fat I need in a day, which for me is the much tougher need to meet on a vegan diet.

Lunch and dinner are a bit more varied. Mostly it's a mix of veggies and grains or legumes. Both are rich in protein. On days that I've bothered tracking everything, I tend to get 60-65 g of protein, which is far more than I need. Before you try taking supplements or powders for anything, track what you're already eating to see if you actually need to.
#35 Old 02-10-2015, 08:29 PM

I get it mostly from a mix of various beans, eggs, dairy, and soy products. Sometimes I'll have peanut butter or nuts but that's not too often since I'm not a big fan.
#36 Old 06-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Zidane the Vegetarian

I have been a vegetarian for more than 20 years. I got my protein source from Seitan, Tofu, Beans and Green Peas(My favoruite!). I compiled a list of 10 protein source for vegans. Hope this helps

Sometimes when I work out, I take vegetarian protein shakes. I also drink soya milk regularly on every weekend morning. Try to consume protein in the morning as it takes time for your organs to break them down, you won't want to overwork your organs while sleeping...
#37 Old 10-28-2016, 01:48 AM
Super Cool Vegan Athlete

Hey there mates!

Look, protein is actually an abundant macro nutrient in nature. You can find it in grains, seeds, legumes, and even some leafs and vegetables. But while most foods contain a little bit of protein, there are some *special* ones that just pack HEAPS of proteins per serving.

The problem is: most people have NO IDEA about those foods. For instance, did you know that LUPINI BEANS have 36g of protein per 100g? That's MORE THAN MEAT. Kinda baffling, isn't it???

I seriously recommend you check out this link - it's a table with vegan sources of protein. Most foods there have more than 15g of protein per 100g (which is very good) - many have more than 20g (which is excellent), and a few have more than 30G OF PROTEIN PER 100G! That's just insane.

When you have the right information, it gets pretty easy to reach an optimal daily intake of protein on a vegan diet. And you don't even need vegan protein powders - although I love them

Hope it helps! cheers
Sidhuriel likes this.

"Vegan Athlete? But where do you get your proteins?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"

Last edited by Bruno from Brazil; 10-28-2016 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Forgot to add this link http://www.veganproteinguide.com/vegan-sources-of-protein/
#38 Old 10-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno from Brazil View Post
Hey there mates!

The problem is: most people have NO IDEA about those foods. For instance, did you know that LUPINI BEANS have 36g of protein per 100g? That's MORE THAN MEAT. Kinda baffling, isn't it???

Amazing! I had never heard of lupini beans before.

I found some additional information on lupini beans. Lupini beans are high in protein, but the "36g of protein per 100g" figure is before cooking: https://www.google.com/#q=protein+in+100g+lupin+beans . During cooking, the beans absorb quite a bit of water weight, and so their protein content becomes 16g per 100g. This is still quite good; about the same as soybeans: https://www.google.com/#q=protein+in+100g+soybeans

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#39 Old 10-29-2016, 11:00 AM

I'd recommend reading Proteinaholic by Dr. Garth Davis first, just to understand how much protein people really need. It's an interesting book and will definitely help with any concerns you might be having about following a vegan/vegetarian diet.

I get more than enough of the protein recommended by the WHO and USDA by eating a starch based diet. As long as you aren't under eating, or eating a diet based on junk food, a plant-based diet has more than enough protein.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blog:

Twitter:

Veganism is not a sacrifice, it's a joy.
- Gary L. Francione
#40 Old 10-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

I haven't eaten meat for over half my life and I've never had to actively try to get protein, as long as you're not living on only junk food it shouldn't be an issue. This is a great article on vegan protein sources: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
Sidhuriel likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#41 Old 11-02-2016, 03:03 PM

It's easy to reach protein requeriments.

Today i ate..

Breakfast

. 250 g of oats
. 1 Banana
. 250 ml soy milk
. 1 Teaspoon of black pepper

Lunch

. 250 g of lentils
. Pinch of salt
. 1 Teaspoon of Red pepper

Pré Workout

. 6 Dates

Dinner

. 2 Cups ( 500 g ) of pasta
. Pinch of salt
. 1 Teaspoon of Red pepper

MACROS

Cals: 3917

Carbs: 729,91 g
Protein: 165,96 g
Fat: 34,70

Carbs: 75 %
Protein: 17 %
Fat: 8%
#42 Old 11-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

@Espirito--
The values you give that example are horribly off!
I don't have time to correct values, so if anyone else sees this, please do!
I'd say close to 1200 calories, and not near the protein attributed.

ex: lentils are about 115 calores per 100grams, with about 8 protein

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#43 Old 11-03-2016, 01:00 PM
Plant Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
@Espirito--
The values you give that example are horribly off!
I don't have time to correct values, so if anyone else sees this, please do!
I'd say close to 1200 calories, and not near the protein attributed.

ex: lentils are about 115 calores per 100grams, with about 8 protein
Could it be that the measurements were for the dry, pre-cooked amounts of pasta and lentils? 250g dry (green) lentils would be about 820 calories, 61.5g protein.

ETA: although admittedly, that would be a LOT of lentils to eat in one serving LOL
#44 Old 11-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Peace

I find it pretty easy to reach protein goals, but I guess it makes a difference if you have a strong appetite or not.

I get my protein from plant sources, like legumes, soy and nuts. I work with a nutritionist because I have Crohns disease, yet thanks to her advice I have never had a protein deficiency. She always says it's better for me to eat a little more fat than is recommended than to be protein deficient, so I eat a lot of nuts. My favourites are macadamia's, almonds and brazil nuts.

Aside from that I do eat organic cheese, preferably cottage cheese because it has a lot of protein and can be used in lots of dishes because it has a pretty neutral flavour.

If all else fails you can always rely at least partially on vegetarian products that have been factory enhanced. But I think you should be ok, it's easier to get protein than you think

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels
#45 Old 05-27-2017, 03:32 AM

Lentils, beans (all kinds), chickpeas, nuts, seeds, millet, quinoa, gluten free oats are my main sources. But there's protein in everything including vegetables and other grains, so what you really need is to know what constitutes a good balanced vegeatarian diet and make sure you're eating enough in the way of calories. I failed first time around because I didn't eat enough but thats because I have a poor appetite anyway (or used to, before I discovered how delicious vegetarian food is!).

It would be wise do some research and learn how to eat well as a healthy vegetarian. If you rely on protein shakes (which you don't need if you're eating well and properly) you might struggle to stay motivated as a vegetarian.

Tags
protein , transitioning , Vegan , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page