• 4 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcarrotfanatic
  • 1 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 2 Post By Muttley
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 1 Post By veggiestez

#1 Old 10-24-2014, 07:04 PM

A Helping Hand

So my friend is hoping to get on board with me in going vegetarian and I'm really looking forward. My question is, do you suppose its easier to have someone go through being a vegetarian with you or was it easier doing it on your own?
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-25-2014, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

That's so awesome that your friend wants to go vegetarian! What a great opportunity to share with her!

I guess it would depend on many factors. I am a very independent person and self driven. I was just fine going vegan on my own and frankly did not know a soul who was vegan when I made the transition anyway. There are not any vegetarian or vegan groups in the city where I live either. But there are just so many resources out there that it was no big deal for me. I love to cook and eat healthy and loved the challenge of getting rid of the animal derived chemicals in my house and living a cleaner lifestyle.

But I also happily helped my Mom and sister when they decided to go vegan, and they seemed to need more help and constant moral support than I did. It stuck with my sister because she is more of an ethical vegan, though she has admitted to a few "slips". For my Mom though, she had a much harder time as she was doing it for health and weight loss and she gave it up after a few months. She felt a lot of pressure from friends, coworkers, doctors etc and they seemed to influence her the other way, despite the success I have had.

I think that having your friend go vegetarian with you would strengthen your friendship more and lift you both up.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 10-25-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
That's so awesome that your friend wants to go vegetarian! What a great opportunity to share with her!

I guess it would depend on many factors. I am a very independent person and self driven. I was just fine going vegan on my own and frankly did not know a soul who was vegan when I made the transition anyway. There are not any vegetarian or vegan groups in the city where I live either. But there are just so many resources out there that it was no big deal for me. I love to cook and eat healthy and loved the challenge of getting rid of the animal derived chemicals in my house and living a cleaner lifestyle.

But I also happily helped my Mom and sister when they decided to go vegan, and they seemed to need more help and constant moral support than I did. It stuck with my sister because she is more of an ethical vegan, though she has admitted to a few "slips". For my Mom though, she had a much harder time as she was doing it for health and weight loss and she gave it up after a few months. She felt a lot of pressure from friends, coworkers, doctors etc and they seemed to influence her the other way, despite the success I have had.

I think that having your friend go vegetarian with you would strengthen your friendship more and lift you both up.
Wow! That's amazing you got your family to go vegan! I wish someone in mine could vegetarian but sadly, I don't think that day is gonna come anytime soon. They're still in shock I've gone veggie.
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

That's so great your friend wants to go vegetarian with you! I think having a support system helps a lot.
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 10-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

That is such an individual thing! Vegetarian diets are every bit as varied as those of omnivores. I've known people to eat all plant based that were so in it for their own health our food discussions were more ackward than most I have with meat eateres! "Oh that has sugar" "I never use oils- those are so unhealthy" "Avocado" aghhhhhhhh....

That said--it is pretty great that you have someone to share it with. They're probably more in tune with you than my co workers!

I'm veg'n because I just feel it's crazy for people to use animals as though they're lesser beings. I understand everything is food, but when humans have the ability to eat all plant foods easier, cleaner, and healthier, it's simply horrific that we don't.
#6 Old 10-27-2014, 05:13 AM
an irregular

i suppose i'm sort of on the other side of this one, as a good friend of mine has been a vegan for 13'ish years, as well his vegetarian wife and their 2 young kids, and learning more about their diet and lifestyle is what helped me. i havent really had a hard time with it, but the first few weeks, it was nice to bounce some ideas for meals and snacks off of him, and his wife, a former nutritionist, helped me make sure i was getting everything i needed in my diet as well as gave and suggested some literature and cookbooks. i know there is a plethora of internet sources, but just shooting someone a text when your cooking dinner or something or going out to eat with them and getting some tips on what to look for, is a very valuable resource for someone new to this lifestyle.
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.
#7 Old 10-27-2014, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree that it's an individual choice. I like making personal changes solo and challenging myself. I've never liked group work or buddy systems. That said internet groups like this one have been very helpful.

Good luck!
#8 Old 10-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotfanatic View Post
So my friend is hoping to get on board with me in going vegetarian and I'm really looking forward. My question is, do you suppose its easier to have someone go through being a vegetarian with you or was it easier doing it on your own?
I agree with SILVA and TWEETY. It's an individual choice.

I would definitely encourage your friend, but would let them find their own path. I went veg, then vegan, and several family members followed along. I can't take any credit, since I didn't say anything. They just realized what I was eating & what they were eating. There was some discussion, but no "sales pitch" from me.

Overall, I would say that your support would be a great help in the process.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#9 Old 10-29-2014, 07:26 AM

I became vegetarian at age 6 and having my mum go vegetarian along with me was definitely very helpful. At that age, though, it's very difficult to do things by yourself. I became vegan on my own (my mum is still vego) and didn't have any problems at all. It was the best decision I've ever made!

Having someone to go vegetarian/vegan along with you could be very helpful if you're in need of some extra support. It's certainly great to have people who are willing to eat out with you at veg restaurants!

"Animals are my friends, and I don't eat my friends." - George Bernard Shaw

My blog all about veganism:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 10-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that it's great, as long as it doesn't become a competition as to who's doing the 'best'.

With dietary changes, in general, I've seen far too many friends compare their progress and actions as though it's a competition to see who's better at sticking to the rules. While it's important to acknowledge there are actual 'rules' to being vegetarian (Rule 1: Don't eat animals. End of rules to being vegetarian) it's not a race to see who can not eat the most animals.

So, I would recommend that either explicitly or in your own heads, you promise yourselves that the only 'competition' you'll have, is to try and be the best person to transition with. If you feel swamped by information, talk to one another about it. If you find out something cool that will help you on your journey, you share it!

Other than that, I think having someone to transition with is awesome! It can be tough and as veg*ns are in the minority, it's nice to have a real person to talk to about the challenges!

I wish you both the best of luck!
Naturebound likes this.
#11 Old 10-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotfanatic View Post
Whole plant diets can be great for health, but you need to do more planning than you would on a whole-food omnivorous diet.

www.cronometer.com will be her best friend when she plans her new plant meals.
#12 Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
With dietary changes, in general, I've seen far too many friends compare their progress and actions as though it's a competition to see who's better at sticking to the rules...it's not a race to see who can not eat the most animals.
How do you determine who's not eating the most animals? Do you look at how many animals die as a result of growing wheat vs kale or something?
#13 Old 11-04-2014, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H=N/C View Post
How do you determine who's not eating the most animals? Do you look at how many animals die as a result of growing wheat vs kale or something?
That's one way :P

Though maybe more reasonable is if they're transitioning slowly, there's no point in trying to out-do each other with their animal to tofu ratio. (Not that I don't want to totally support that kind of thing).

But I meant more in general, going veg isn't some competition where we all compete to be 'better' than everyone else. I've seen a lot of people do that with diets, they try to be the 'best' at it and actually, there is no 'best', there is no 'tweaking', it's simply the rules that exist. That's it. Because it's a diet, not a race.
#14 Old 11-06-2014, 05:44 AM

Having support from a friend sounds really helpful. Personally I'm self-driven, like others on here, but I wouldn't mind having moral support from a local friend who wanted to transition as well.

One thing would concern me though. I think doing something like this with a friend can work really well if the friendship is solid. As someone has already mentioned, it can unfortunately become personal, not just by competition but also if one of you decides not to continue and goes back to eating meat. I think it's important to be aware that you're doing it for yourself regardless of how your friend does. It might sound obvious, but I know from experience with another situations that moral support can become personal if one person changes their mind.
Tiger Lilly likes this.

Tags
transition , transitioning , vegetarian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page