I want to try vegetarism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By westielove
  • 1 Post By jessandreia

#1 Old 10-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Question I want to try vegetarism

Hi! Im 13, and those days i was thinking about trying vegetarism. Not super vegetarism, like checking everything i eat, but smooth (for me it mean just don't eat meat). The problem in cause is that i don't eat lots of things. I want to do that because i love animals and also i feel bad for them. I also want to eat ealthier, to be better at sport and stuff (im a girl). Like i said, i don't eat lots of thing (but i want to try!) I had this revelation when i start to don't want to eat ham anymore. Anyway, my mom says: if you want to, you will need to eat more things, try more things. I want to make this effort and try. Is that difficult? Do you have tips for me? I never loved meat that bad, so i think i can do it, but i need to try more things.
leedsveg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

For me, it wasn't difficult. But if you find it difficult to cut out all meat at once, easy into it - eat vegetarian for about 3 days per week, when you're comfortable with that, 4 and so on. Since your mom is on board with it, tell her to sit down with you and together you can search (google) for vegetarian recipes online. Also, do some research on what foods have what nutrients.
There is a recipe section on this forum.
Also: http://www.vegweb.com/
http://www.findingvegan.com/

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 10-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Westielove and welcome to Veggieboards.

Good wishes on your vegetarian journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Thanks for those tips! Actually, i planed starting in like maybe 1 year. I want to have time to try new things and see if i am okay whit that. I know it's long, but i want to to it slowly, try to eat more food like salads, tofu and other stuff.
#5 Old 10-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Beginner

Welcome!
Pescatarian is a pattern of eating that's an omnivorous diet, not vegetarian one. It's where you only eat the meat of fish.
Vegetarian means not eating meat (no beef, no chicken, no fish, etc).
Vegan means not eating any animal products (no meat, no dairy, etc).

My biggest tip is probably to learn how to cook veggies well, then start building up a list of vegetarian recipes you love. Once you've started doing that you can begin reading about nutrients (calories, protein, fiber, and fats are good places to start then expand from there).
Spinach- learn to saute baby spinach. It's SUPER quick to do and when you learn to get it to where it's just wilted and bright green then squeeze a lemon on top and add some pepper- it's amazing. SO much better than that wilted frozen or creamed or canned stuff.
Green beans- learn to properly cook them so they're bright green and don't turn brown. A simple honey mustard sauce or sliced almonds on them are great.
Brussels sprouts- roast them and top them with a balsamic reduction. If they smell bad (sulfury) they're overcooked.

If you cook once or more a week for your family, I'd suggest starting to make those hearty vegetarian meals (or maybe ask if your Mom would consider Meatless Mondays or a Meatless Monday dinner). A salad with spaghetti and marinara and rolls is a great place to start- who doesn't love Italian? Otherwise you can offer to help by cooking a vegetarian dish once or twice a week if you haven't cooked much before.
#6 Old 10-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ Anole has lots of good cooking tips. There may well be some vegetables or fruits that you will never enjoy, but lots of people who think they don't like vegetables just haven't had them prepared in a way that appeals to them.

You said you don't eat much and that you didn't even care that much for meat, but what vegetarian foods have you eaten that you like? Here are a few of my favorites: hummus (a sort of spread or dip made from garbanzo beans, sesame tahini, lemon juice, and garlic); almost all green leafy vegetables, briefly steamed or sauteed; potatoes; oats; bread (especially the kind I make myself- I've just started baking again for the colder months and have 3 loaves' worth of dough rising in a warm place right now!); sunflower kernels; pretty much all fruit.-

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#7 Old 10-18-2014, 12:03 PM

Try it, it's not difficult. I was 15 years old when I became veggie and I'm now old!

For inspiration I suggest looking for a role model in what stuff you like to spend your spare time on. I am a runner and cyclist and there are many elite long distance runners and triathletes that are 'plant powered', I'm sure there will be in your pastimes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#8 Old 10-18-2014, 12:14 PM

Being so young and not having your parents full support behind you in a lifestyle change. I would suggest letting them know you're interested in cutting down on meat and such so as they can accommodate. You're old enough to cook for yourself a bit and there have been some great pointers and tips in this thread.

The hardest part of going vegetarian when you're young (as I found) was not constantly eating junk. It is easy to be an unhealthy vegetarian (pizza, chips, fries, cheese) so just make sure you're eating well!

Doing research is important as well as figuring out WHY you actually want to do it. You mentioned wanting to be healthy and you feel strongly about animal rights- this can be used when you feel like you're struggling. Think of the "why" and it should all go well.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!
#9 Old 10-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome westielove! How exciting to see someone so young wanting to try vegetarianism! It gives me hope for the world. That is great that your parents are being supportive of you at least on some level. I wish you the best with your journey.

I am vegan but doing that has opened worlds for me as far as trying new foods and ways of cooking/eating. Some foods I discovered as a vegan...mangos, medjool dates, nutritional yeast, sunflower butter, nut cheese, sprouted tofu, tempeh, besan (chickpea) flour for making veg omelets which are savory and eggy, tubes of ready made polenta slices (great for adding vegetarian canned baked beans over), Fantastic Foods commercial bean and falafal mixes, arugula, collard greens, jicama. Some veg versions of stuff I have made include homemade mayonnaise (there are literally tons of recipes for eggless mayo and even soy free on the web), creamy bean and squash soups, bean and veggie burgers, pizzas, "parm" cheese with nutritional yeast and almonds ground in blender, tofu chocolate pudding, avocado/cocoa powder/maple syrup frosting, veg tacos with fat free refried beans, tempeh, or bulgur wheat and taco seasonings. Oh, and frozen bananas make an awesome treat. Even better is to melt some dark chocolate, pour it over a banana, and put it in a container in the freezer for a few hours.

I highly recommend exploring Vegweb as they have a huge database of recipes under a variety of categories...breakfast, snacks, soups, brunch, etc. Print off some recipes and show your family and maybe you could all make them together.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page