Jewish Holiday starts today! Wish me luck... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly

#1 Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 PM

Jewish Holiday starts today! Wish me luck...

So here I am, my vegetarianism is a little seedling that is very new and fragile, and I'm embarking upon two days of heavy duty family holiday stuff! I'm nervous but I feel I can do it. Last night I was so proud that I was able to stay veg during a night out with a cocktail party, hors d'oeuvres and dinner out, so I'm feeling confident about the next few days.

Some things I'll try to do... snack before so I'm not too hungry, not make a big deal about what I'm eating / not eating and diverge the conversation when it goes to what's on my plate or not, remember that it's one meal at a time and I will not die tomorrow if I don't eat meat (as my mother might try to convince me will happen... I'm from Argentina, steak country! Even babies get meat daily...).

Any other tips on successful veggie family holidays would be appreciated!

Love,
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Best wishes Paula! I cook/prepare and bring many of my own dishes to share with family, coworkers, and friends for holiday stuff. There are so many awesome vegetarian and vegan dishes out there! It is a good way to show friends and family that eating as a vegetarian is not as restrictive or hard or depriving as people think.

Not much else to add to what you are already doing. I hope you have a great time and enjoy your holiday festivities!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 09-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

If your relatives respect your choices, you can abstain from meat with no problem.

Your decisions are yours, nobody elses.

Have a good time!!!

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-24-2014, 06:01 PM
Impeach the gangster

Good luck, and enjoy your visit!

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

If people start talking during a meal about what's on my plate, or where I get my protein, I just politely say that I would rather discuss it after the meal is finished. If they insist, I just say that slaughterhouse discussions aren't good for the appetite. Silence then reigns.
Capstan, Purp, Tiger Lilly and 2 others like this.
#6 Old 09-24-2014, 06:30 PM
No flesh since 99'

I usually nibbled on meat free side dishes, and always bring a meat free dish I made to share I also stash some fruit and granola bars in my purse too.

My family knows I'm a vegetarian, so they let me know what does and doesn't have meat (though I wouldn't put it past my dad and uncle to try and sneak me some). I've found if your host doesn't know your a vegetarian, it's usually better to quietly pull them aside and ask politely what is meat free than to make a big announcement and fuss about everything And if you do get an argumentative or rude reaction by someone/multiple someones (read: all holidays I ever spend with family) just say "I'm not discussing this any further, theres lots of information out there if your interested" and end the conversation right then and there. Don't argue with people who WANT that reaction. They aren't going to go veg or learn anything new, but they will belittle you and make you feel bad. Hopefully you have a kind and supportive family though! It's much easier when they aren't ganging up on you at any given opportunity about your dietary choices.

Hope you have a nice holiday with family!
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 09-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually do as Led does and refuse to talk about the issues while food is in front of people.

But I offer to talk to people afterwards, I feel more comfortable these days doing it than I did when I first started out. So, if you don't want to talk to anyone about it, then don't feel you have to straight away.

Some gems that have helped me over the years though-

"But, this is a special 'traditional' dish"

Answer: The best part of this tradition is being with my friends and family, the food doesn't really matter as much as family, right?

"But it's a special recipe!"
Answer: Recipes evolve over time, this one might too so that one day I can eat it again. But until that day, no thank you.

I also recommend taking something yummy to eat for everyone to try. If you're not confidant in your cooking right now, then don't worry. But think of it as a goal for next time. I've yet to leave a party with any leftovers. Everyone loves vego food :P
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 09-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Namaste, Have you thought about Sukkot yet? That is what i am trying to figure out how i am going to do with the no meat... I am meeting with a group of about 60 people for that week and they are not veggie friendly lol...So, yeah, trying to plan that one out.
#9 Old 09-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste35 View Post
So here I am, my vegetarianism is a little seedling that is very new and fragile, and I'm embarking upon two days of heavy duty family holiday stuff! I'm nervous but I feel I can do it. Last night I was so proud that I was able to stay veg during a night out with a cocktail party, hors d'oeuvres and dinner out, so I'm feeling confident about the next few days.

Some things I'll try to do... snack before so I'm not too hungry, not make a big deal about what I'm eating / not eating and diverge the conversation when it goes to what's on my plate or not, remember that it's one meal at a time and I will not die tomorrow if I don't eat meat (as my mother might try to convince me will happen... I'm from Argentina, steak country! Even babies get meat daily...).

Any other tips on successful veggie family holidays would be appreciated!

Love,
Paula
Good luck with everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotilynn View Post
Namaste, Have you thought about Sukkot yet? That is what i am trying to figure out how i am going to do with the no meat... I am meeting with a group of about 60 people for that week and they are not veggie friendly lol...So, yeah, trying to plan that one out.
I found some Vegetarian Sukkot recipes here. I hope this helps.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page