11Likes
  • 1 Post By anole
  • 5 Post By jessandreia
  • 2 Post By anole
  • 2 Post By Auxin
  • 1 Post By leedsveg

#1 Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Beginner

What did you do with meat in your fridge when you transitioned?

I'm curious- how did everyone handle (or how are you handling) the meat left in your fridge when you transitioned?

I'm giving what I have left at my old house to a poor college student I know (it's a frozen pepperoni pizza and a few bags of frozen meals/veggies, not like CHUNKS OF MEAT). They're also getting the rest of my oatmeal, chia seeds, ground flax seeds and spices. I had a friend (who's been vegan for years) ask me about it then tell me giving away the meat products is promoting animal cruelty.

I have one other vegetarian friend who said she just slowly ate the meat things up as she was transitioning, so she wouldn't waste them. Did most people do that?
Did you give it away?
Did you throw it out?
Ashlization85 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM

Honestly what I do is let my girlfriend and her mom use whatever meat is in the fridge. It's strange seeing meat in the fridge now as dead body parts rather than food now. We all kind of have a understanding that they understand I'm now Vegetarian, I will still cook them whatever they want but I will not buy or eat meat.

Kudos to you for giving your meats to the college student. If anything I'm sure they are thankful. You can also go to food banks and donate them that way.
#3 Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

You're not promoting animal cruelty by giving away the meat already on your fridge. You contributed to animal cruelty when you purchased the meat. What you do with it after doesn't affect anything since the meat industry already has your money.
Give it away instead of wasting it.

Now if you gave away food coupons to buy meat products, then I would agree you would be promoting "animal cruelty".
Gita, Tiger Lilly, Edumcg and 2 others like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlization85 View Post
Honestly what I do is let my girlfriend and her mom use whatever meat is in the fridge. It's strange seeing meat in the fridge now as dead body parts rather than food now. We all kind of have a understanding that they understand I'm now Vegetarian, I will still cook them whatever they want but I will not buy or eat meat.

Kudos to you for giving your meats to the college student. If anything I'm sure they are thankful. You can also go to food banks and donate them that way.
You're nice, I'm pretty much done cooking meat for my husband... I'm from a long line of "I cook it, you eat it, no whining" women.

I know the student because he's worked under me on different projects for about a year. I looked into food banks but the ones in my old area didn't want frozen foods like that! Never heard that before.
Tiger Lilly and Ashlization85 like this.
#5 Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anole View Post
You're nice, I'm pretty much done cooking meat for my husband... I'm from a long line of "I cook it, you eat it, no whining" women.

I know the student because he's worked under me on different projects for about a year. I looked into food banks but the ones in my old area didn't want frozen foods like that! Never heard that before.
That's really odd maybe a homeless shelter? I know churches that have food banks and allows frozen foods.
#6 Old 07-09-2014, 12:59 AM
Oryzatarian

For me it was CHUNKS OF MEAT. After I turned vegan a relative gave me a whole crate of meat (and a chocolate cake, which I'm allergic to, lol).
My dog had advanced cancer at the time so I just started cooking it for him. Turns out dogs quite like whole steaks and pork chops. When he died the rest went to my sister.
Two years later when my 17 year old cat was ill I dug through the freezer and found frozen fish for her.
I suppose I should clean my fridge more often :P
silva and Ashlization85 like this.
#7 Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 AM

I didn't have the issue with meat but I did the exact same thing when I went vegan (overnight) and gave all of my dairy (not much - some milk and a few blocks of cheese) away to a flatmate. I agree there was no point wasting it when I'd already bought it.
#8 Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

It was a while ago, but I gave it to a friend who I know was having financial difficulties, and had a big family to feed. I agree with the poster who said that you already supported the meat industry by buying it, and you should not waste it.
#9 Old 07-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I unplugged the freezer and dumped all the frozen meat in our business dumpster the morning of garbage pickup. Unplugging the freezer saved me $20 per month in electricity 24 years ago. It was 1/2 of my electric bill.
#10 Old 07-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

When I went vegetarian, I was still living with my parents so they just didn't have to go grocery shopping as often for a while. Then, when I more recently became vegan, I ate anything that was left in the fridge and just stopped buying animals products. For me, that was how I handled the transition. I could eat what I had, but couldn't buy anything new. Everything is long gone now except a few bottles of salad dressing and a small block of Parmesan - my boyfriend will eat both of those so I'm just letting them hang out in the fridge.
#11 Old 07-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

I threw it all away.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#12 Old 10-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Beginner

I've had few month transition to vegetarian. I had meat in my freezer as a crutch for when I crack and have a craving hahahaha. I did slip a few times... However about a month or two ago I seen a video on how pigs are processed for the pork industry and immediately after watching it I went to the freezer (in a crying, dramatic fashion hahahahaha) and just tossed it all in the garbage. I was so angry at myself for even having it for that long. I laughed about it after due to how dramatic I was in process of throwing it all out. It may have been a waste but oh well. The damage was all ready done when I paid for it.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

#13 Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't do things overnight in going veggie and going vegan so I just cut back on the buying and just cut back on the chomping. Maybe things could have/should have happened overnight but 24 years and 18 years later, it's a bit late for regrets.
janetc likes this.
#14 Old 11-06-2014, 05:48 AM

I had some beef in the fridge. I'd meant to give it to my boyfriend who eats it, but he forgot to take it and I forgot to remind him. It ended up in the bin the next day.
#15 Old 12-03-2014, 11:03 PM
The Corpulent Vegan

I gave it to my parents who lived downstairs and what they didn't want I threw away. It wasn't a big deal to do it, even if it felt wasteful, it was better than tempting myself to change my mind. When I went full veg all I had was a bit of frozen Tuna in my fridge, so they gladly took it.
#16 Old 01-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
You're not promoting animal cruelty by giving away the meat already on your fridge. You contributed to animal cruelty when you purchased the meat. What you do with it after doesn't affect anything since the meat industry already has your money.

Now if you gave away food coupons to buy meat products, then I would agree you would be promoting "animal cruelty".
Exactly. I believe that sometimes the most effective way to support or cause change is with how and where you spend your money. If there is no profit from it, then, the manufacturer or seller will have to find something else that they can make a profit from. hopefully something better.

I was not in the habit of buying meat that had to be chilled or frozen. I usually just bought canned stuff or fast food and cheeses. I was never into preparing meals with meat in them to begin with; too much work and too messy. So, when I transitioned, I just gave away the canned stuff and stopped buying hamburgers and sandwiches with meat in them.

I think the reason that some food banks don't take frozen or refrigerated items is because they don't have the facilities to store them. Many food banks have limited resources and can't afford to have freezers.
#17 Old 01-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by anole View Post
I'm curious- how did everyone handle (or how are you handling) the meat left in your fridge when you transitioned?

I'm giving what I have left at my old house to a poor college student I know (it's a frozen pepperoni pizza and a few bags of frozen meals/veggies, not like CHUNKS OF MEAT). They're also getting the rest of my oatmeal, chia seeds, ground flax seeds and spices. I had a friend (who's been vegan for years) ask me about it then tell me giving away the meat products is promoting animal cruelty.

I have one other vegetarian friend who said she just slowly ate the meat things up as she was transitioning, so she wouldn't waste them. Did most people do that?
Did you give it away?
Did you throw it out?
I would not throw anything out, in my opinion it's the worst you could do. My son is still an omni, so he finished some of the left over things containing meat, some of it I fed to my cats, the last I put out in the back garden for foxes (it was gone in the morning and I was happy that a hungry creature got fed).

Same goes for dairy and eggs that my children eat - if they don't finish something I give it to the cats or put it out for foxes.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#18 Old 01-23-2015, 04:48 AM
Vegan as f**k

I didn't have the problem with meat disposal when I became vegetarian as I was young and I guess my parents just ate the meat which would have been allocated to me...

I think if I had gone veggie as an adult I would have buried the meat...

When I became vegan I just had like a few cheese triangles in the fridge which I threw away...
#19 Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post

I totally agree

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#20 Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Vegan as f**k

I also agree that the exchange of money for the meat is what is going to instigate further suffering!
#21 Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 AM

I still live with my parents so they eat all the meat. And of course I eat all the tofu lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page