I'm pretty sure I want to start pushing a vegetarian diet...but I need suggestions :( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM

Well, basically I've realized that being an omnivore heavily conflicts with a lot of the morals and rules I base my decisions, life, and arguments around so to keep my own integrity I've decided to try for this thing I for a long time regarded with a hefty bit of sarcasm...

This is EXTREMELY hard. I feel bad about saying this but I don't feel that strongly about animal cruelty when its not in my face. Like right now I can think of the numerous shock videos I've seen and feel absolutely zilch. So this isn't a motivator for me. Neither is my health, really, as I live a pretty active and healthy life style regardless but I don't really put much thought or care into it.

The problem is, the only stuff my taste buds consider "savory" is...meat. I mean there's a few other food products out there, like potatoes, mushrooms, eggs, and cheese that I consider adequately filling but even those just "feel" lighter in my head than meat is. Can anybody recommend some good options for me (some veggie friendly options obviously :P) that are both savory and feel filling and "heavy"? Of course a good taste is a massive benefit!

I keep trying to switch to a veggie diet but I always end up going back to something with meat in it, wherever I might look. And some alternatives I really can't stand...like nuts I absolutely hate with a passion (all nuts feel far too grainy for me to eat, and I mean all), and the traditional stuff I've heard about associated with these diets like tofu...well I can't stand that stuff either DX

I know I could probably do the research but I figure that if the community exists surely you people have some suggestions to fit my description rather than me using my blind google-fu.

Thanks for any who read and/or answer!

Jennifer C likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Poo Pie Head

Seitan is an awesome savory food, plus you can make it at home from wheat gluten and whatever flavors you want. Want a smoky BBQ like seitan? Make it with A1 and liquid smoke. What ever flavor you want. It's always very hearty and filling too.
#3 Old 11-20-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKat View Post

Seitan is an awesome savory food, plus you can make it at home from wheat gluten and whatever flavors you want. Want a smoky BBQ like seitan? Make it with A1 and liquid smoke. What ever flavor you want. It's always very hearty and filling too.

Huh this sounds interesting...thanks for the suggestion but what do you mean O_o. How does one prepare seitan, and how would I get it to have those flavors.

Again thank you this sounds great :D

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Seitan can be soooo different! I would not recommend trying it on your own the first time! It can be good, it can be bad> Same for tofu. People really differ on what they like, so just because on veggie says one way, another might like it totally different.

Honestly, it takes time. Most of us have been so indoctrinated with meat based meals it's hard to see what you can do with just plant based foods. 
I'd say it took about 6 months for me to get used to eating mostly strict vegetarian-no eggs and very little dairy. The adjustment of discovering new ways to prepare foods, combine, and create things I'd never have thought of before.

Beans well seasoned as sauces and gravies. Loaves of lentils, nuts and tofu. Spices and herbs used as the foods they are, and not just sprinkles. How to make a stir fry where every vegetable comes out just right and not some mushy or some hard. Even how to properly cook grains and beans takes adjustment.

Keep it up. Maybe have certain days you can play in the kitchen with new recipes.

Veg'n diets are really as varied as omni diets are, so don't give up just because you don't find things appealing right away.

Like if you said you were going to eat Italian, or Chinese. You don't get the whole picture right away, and you keep getting better the more you learn.

Good Luck and keep coming back! :hi:

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 11-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divergence View Post

Huh this sounds interesting...thanks for the suggestion but what do you mean O_o. How does one prepare seitan, and how would I get it to have those flavors.

Again thank you this sounds great :D

The only way I've ever made seitan, was via Sarah Kramer's La Dolce Vegan (awesome book, vegetarian suitable!). It's basically a lot of kneading of flour in water.

This website seems to have her method for doing it.

When you say you don't like tofu, what type are you eating? The silken style tofu is often far too jelly-like for me. I like things I can sink my teeth into! So I get a pre-chunked, pre-marinated 'tofu nugget' style tofu. It's not dissimilar from chicken in consistency, the texture isn't quite the same. But that's probably because it's made out of tofu, not flesh.

Have you tried tempeh? It's a little 'meaty'.

None of what I use as a substitute for meat is as heavy as meat, but that's not really a bad thing after a while. When I was a carnist, but was eating a decent amount of vego stuff (because of my partner), I really noticed the difference between meat and vego dishes. I was more able to DO things after a vegetarian meal, whereas meaty dishes made me feel a bit too heavy.

Now, onto the other parts of your original post.

Savoury=Meat. Do you eat meat all by itself? Or, do you flavour it with something? I'm betting there's at least some salt being tossed on there, or a sauce, or herbs. People tend to, in most cases, flavour their meat with a vegan or vegetarian source (or sauce :P). Consider that, when you're preparing a meal.

And onto the big doozy..... You don't feel anything when you think of those 'shock videos'.

You finish saying how vegetarianism is more in line with your own moral outlook, then you say you don't feel anything unless the animal cruelty is right in your face. That's a fairly big conflict of emotions/thoughts/processes and not all that abnormal.

Most people don't feel anything when it comes to animal cruelty, unless it's right in their face. Why? Because that's how it's designed. I mean, there's a reason a slaughterhouse doesn't have glass walls and it's not just for insulation purposes. People are taught not to think about it or question why we still eat meat, or what happens before the steak ends up in the supermarket.

When people see those 'shock videos', they immediately cling to defenses of "That doesn't happen all the time" or "But we need meat to survive", or they simply don't allow themselves to feel something as fully as they could. That's because if they really acknowledge it, if they really think about it, if they allow themselves to feel something about it, then they'll have to admit how their choices make them complicit in those acts of cruelty.

Maybe that's what's happening to you right now. Maybe, if you stop eating meat for a while, you'll find that 'animal cruelty' is more in your face than you first thought because you won't need to put up any barriers to protect yourself.

Anyway, best of luck with everything!

#6 Old 11-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:

Again thank you this sounds great grin.gif
http://theedgyveg.com/2012/10/09/easy-seitan-steak/ here is a recipe on how to make seitan steak from scratch using wheat gluten (as opposed to the dough method mentioned above.) google "homemade seitan recipe" and you will find tons of ways to make it. I usually just buy it from the local health food store, but it is much more customizable if made at home.
#7 Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I bake seitan rather than simmering. It's less fiddly doing it that way. I've also made it by simmering, by steaming, and even with my bread machine, but baking is my favorite method. Here's a recipe.

Common non-meat ingredients with a heavy umami flavor (the savory flavor) include mushrooms, soy sauce, and tomato paste.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I bake seitan rather than simmering. It's less fiddly doing it that way. I've also made it by simmering, by steaming, and even with my bread machine, but baking is my favorite method. Here's a recipe.

Common non-meat ingredients with a heavy umami flavor (the savory flavor) include mushrooms, soy sauce, and tomato paste.
Oh, that recipe looks yummie. Already printed out, and gonna try that one sometime soon! Also, I have yet to try soy sauce's cousing, tamari. Is that as savory as soy sauce? Maybe a little less salty?
#9 Old 11-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
 I have yet to try soy sauce's cousing, tamari. Is that as savory as soy sauce? Maybe a little less salty?

I can't tell the difference between the two unless I'm drinking them straight and know ahead of time that one is soy sauce and one is tamari. Tamari is a little more full bodied maybe.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#10 Old 11-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

I can't tell the difference between the two unless I'm drinking them straight and know ahead of time that one is soy sauce and one is tamari. Tamari is a little more full bodied maybe.

Yeah, pretty much this ^.

I find tamari is a little more salty than soy. I usually need to use less tamari than I would soy sauce. 

#11 Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Zelda Freak

Quote:

This is EXTREMELY hard. I feel bad about saying this but I don't feel that strongly about animal cruelty when its not in my face. Like right now I can think of the numerous shock videos I've seen and feel absolutely zilch. So this isn't a motivator for me. Neither is my health, really, as I live a pretty active and healthy life style regardless but I don't really put much thought or care into it.

The problem is, the only stuff my taste buds consider "savory" is...meat. I mean there's a few other food products out there, like potatoes, mushrooms, eggs, and cheese that I consider adequately filling but even those just "feel" lighter in my head than meat is. Can anybody recommend some good options for me (some veggie friendly options obviously :P) that are both savory and feel filling and "heavy"? Of course a good taste is a massive benefit!

First welcome to VB! I'm really glad you've decided to look for support in going vegetarian as it can help a lot. As for the animal cruelty, well, don't feel bad. I was like you a long time ago and for a long time. I went vegetarian as a teen because I didn't like the taste of meat. Later I stuck with it as an environmental move. Still later, I felt like it was healthier. 

THEN sort of suddenly the animal issues started factoring in for me. When I finally some 19 years later, went vegan it was as much for animal rights as anything else. I find that lots of people change their minds about what veggie living/diets mean to them over time, so don't worry as much about the why but more about the how for now. 

Now, as for meat cravings, I don't totally get it because I always didn't like the taste, but I get it based on cheese, which I did like so it was hard to go vegan. I did it though and you can give up meat for good too. I've got some resources for you. 

Some recipes that may feed meat cravings:

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#12 Old 11-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi Divergence. Making a big change like one to vegetarianism takes some motivation, tbh.

You said that eating animals doesn't go with your morals. If you explore your reasons for wanting to stop eating meat, it will be an easier transition. For example, if you're an environmentalist, read up on the damage that farming animals causes. Worried about antibiotics not working against bacteria? Look to the animal slaughterers who feed massive amounts to the animals kept in such unsanitary conditiins. Etc.

Then learn how to cook vegetarian (it's easy, look at youtube videos), and you have a good chance of liking the change.
#13 Old 11-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Well, basically I've realized that being an omnivore heavily conflicts with a lot of the morals and rules I base my decisions, life, and arguments around so to keep my own integrity I've decided to try for this thing I for a long time regarded with a hefty bit of sarcasm...

It's the first paragraph that really matters.

As much as I know how I feel about dairy it's still not ingrained. I've been mostly vegan the past 3 years and still force myself to read and watch what goes on. I grew up visiting my uncles dairy farm and honestly never connected with cows. They certainly seemed to be just fine standing around the field grazing, and I never knew what happened to their babies. I still don't emotionally care for cows, but I can without a doubt fight for their right to their own lives.

I decided today that the next person who asks why I'm vegan is getting the "because I'm against slavery" I'll leave out the murder part.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page