Acne problem after becoming vegetarian? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#1 Old 10-30-2013, 12:10 PM

I became vegetarian 4 weeks ago, and since then my skin has been going crazy with acne. This is odd to me since I read that one of the benefits of going veggie was clearer skin. Is it possible my body is just trying to adjust now that I'm not consuming all of the yucky hormone meats anymore? Maybe it's a detox of sorts? I hope it ends soon! Have any of u experienced this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

I have never had serious problems with acne.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3 Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Sunrise -

CONGRATS on going veg!!!!  :wayne:

A lot of stuff happens when you change what your body is used to.  Check out the FORKS OVER KNIVES video & you'll see what I'm talking about, WRT what goes into meat.  The meat industry wants to MAXIMIZE PROFITS over anyone's health, which results in a lot of bad stuff going into the meat supply. 

I am not a medical professional, but would guess that your body might be in some sort of detox mode.  Stick with it and I bet you'll feel better.

I just past year 3 as a veg*n & could not feel better.  :nana:

Ryan61 likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Banned

Have you started to eat more dairy? Dairy can promote Acne in some people.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
#5 Old 10-31-2013, 12:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats on going veg!

Yeah, I was expecting glowing skin when I went veg..... I'm still waiting on it. :p

It could just be your body detoxing, but my skin did go crazy for a while after I went vegetarian. I suspect, it was simply because of a lack of water. I drink more now that I'm vegetarian (though I know I still probably don't drink enough).

Though, to be fair to vegetarianism, I wasn't really looking after my face to begin with. I broke all of the rules- Sleeping with make up on, only getting about 3 hours sleep each night, not moisturising and when I remembered to cleanse, I was using completely the wrong product!

I started to get huge, cyst-like pimples.

What helped, was drinking more water which was something I found I needed to do as a vegetarian anyway, getting the right routine/products for my face and taking note of what makes my skin break out.

As far as routine/products go, you might already be set. But if you're not, try and see someone about a skin consultation. Even if they can tell you what kinds of products to avoid, you'll be on the right track to calming your skin down. They can also tell you whether you're aggravating your skin. I used to scrub mine too much, it just made things worse.

Logic is right about dairy. But I've also found that my skin doesn't even like skincare products with dairy in it! (Or lanolin). Or, it could simply be that you're eating nuts and then touching your face straight after. Easy way to put oil on your face.

If you don't use a primer before putting on your foundation, you should consider it. That's got nothing to do with vegetarianism, I just think people should use primer! :D

Hope some of those suggestions work for you, they've worked for me, so it'd be good for the experience of terrible skin to turn out to be helpful for someone else.

#6 Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info! Very helpful!
#7 Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM

Since going veg, my skin looks waaaay better(100x), but generally when it looks best I think is when I eat my best! I definitely do not break out as much as I used to, but I've changed alot of bad habits too.

Things that will cause you to break out: lots of sweets, oil, too much refined breads/grain(contains both), not enough water, not enough fresh produce in your diet.

Things that will help your skin: a good multi, flaxseed ground (2 tablespoons a day, in yogurt, cereal, salad), lots of water, lots of fruits and veggies, sweating it out, oil free makeup and skincare, spf 30

Milk has never given me skin problems :/ I drink organic milk and eat wallaby yogurt on a daily basis. Idk maybe people who can't process it correctly(80% of the world)

Hope it helps!

#8 Old 10-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie-cat View Post

Since going veg, my skin looks waaaay better(100x), but generally when it looks best I think is when I eat my best! I definitely do not break out as much as I used to, but I've changed alot of bad habits too.

Things that will cause you to break out: lots of sweets, oil, too much refined breads/grain(contains both), not enough water, not enough fresh produce in your diet.

Things that will help your skin: a good multi, flaxseed ground (2 tablespoons a day, in yogurt, cereal, salad), lots of water, lots of fruits and veggies, sweating it out, oil free makeup and skincare, spf 30

Milk has never given me skin problems :/ I drink organic milk and eat wallaby yogurt on a daily basis. Idk maybe people who can't process it correctly(80% of the world)

Hope it helps!

TOTALLY saying yes to the sunscreen! It's so important that you use it!

But I have to ask....Wallaby yogurt? I've heard of Goanna Oil (used it a bit when I was a kid). But....Wallaby yogurt?
(And are you a fellow Aussie?!)

#9 Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I have never had problems with acne in all my 41 years.  I also have worn makeup maybe a handful of times over my entire life (to sister's wedding and when performing on stage for dancing many years ago).  My skin stayed about the same when I went vegan and I have been vegan for several years now.  But my vitamin D levels actually improved.  This could be because I ride my bike a lot more than I used to (partly for health and environmental reasons and to lessen the impact that cars create on animals and the environment etc) and I actually stopped wearing sunscreen (the vegan versions of them are very expensive so I save it for when I am canoeing on open water or hiking in open areas).  I had my D levels tested when I was one and two years vegan and they were very good.  Strangely I used to burn all the time due to being fair but I kid you not when I went vegan I have not sunburned in almost three years except very slightly when I visited the Gulf Coast last March.

Speaking to the OP, I see in your other posts that you still consume dairy and eggs.  Maybe it's possible that since giving up meat your consumption of these has increased to make up for it?  Dairy is known to increase risk of acne.  Even the Mayo clinic mentions this as a risk factor:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/acne/DS00169/DSECTION=causes (scroll down a little bit).  Although I went from omnivore to vegan, I have heard that it is common for people who transition to vegetarian from omnivore to increase their dairy and/or egg consumption to make up for cutting out meat.  Just a thought and this may not pertain to you.  Mayo clinic also mentions refined high sugar carbs as a risk as well.  I can see this being another food replacement for meat for some people.  However, it could just be a new food you have introduced that your body is reacting to?  My body does not like tofu, but handles other sources of soy just fine.  It took me a while to figure this out despite having agonizing cramps and diarrhea each time I would consume tofu but no problems drinking soy milk.  I did not eat tofu at all before becoming vegan.  I handle tempeh just fine.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

TOTALLY saying yes to the sunscreen! It's so important that you use it!

But I have to ask....Wallaby yogurt? I've heard of Goanna Oil (used it a bit when I was a kid). But....Wallaby yogurt?

(And are you a fellow Aussie?!)

Haha no!! Wallaby yogurt is an organic brand Of regular dairy yogurt here in the US! I think they donate to wallaby conservation? A wallaby is the mascot anyway smiley.gif Australia seems really cool though! I would like to check out the reef sometime
#11 Old 11-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie-cat View Post

Haha no!! Wallaby yogurt is an organic brand Of regular dairy yogurt here in the US! I think they donate to wallaby conservation? A wallaby is the mascot anyway smiley.gif Australia seems really cool though! I would like to check out the reef sometime

Ohhhh okay! (I was sort of wondering how they got the wallabies to stand still for so long! :P).

We do have a good reef. It was a lot nicer a few years ago though....

veggie-cat likes this.
#12 Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the information everyone.  I didn't think about it until now, but I realize that I have been increasing starchy carbs to replace the meat in order for me to feel full.  And that's what is causing the skin issues..  So what do you all do to stay full? I find that eating tons of vegetables doesn't last in my stomach more than 2 hours.

#13 Old 11-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Banned

The consumption of starchy foods as a whole doesn't cause acne, but there is some link to refined carbohydrates and acne. So one doesn't need to find a substitute for starchy foods, instead they should limit refined carbohydrates. So, for example, eat whole wheat pasta instead of refined pasta, eat legumes, potatoes, etc.
#14 Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 PM

Make sure to space out protein! Eat a protein rich breakfast, steel cut oats or protein cereal with flax, fruit and a milk/alternative. For lunch, choose whole wheat bread, nut butters or turk'y with veggies and fruits and some cheese or yogurt for a snack. Eat a whole side portion of veggies at dinner, with a whole grain and a cheese/bean/soy for protein. And if your still hungry, drink lots of water! you will feel hungry as your tummy shrinks, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. however, overeating is.

#15 Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise628 View Post

Thanks for the information everyone.  I didn't think about it until now, but I realize that I have been increasing starchy carbs to replace the meat in order for me to feel full.  And that's what is causing the skin issues..  So what do you all do to stay full? I find that eating tons of vegetables doesn't last in my stomach more than 2 hours.

For me, it depends on the 'veggies' that I'm eating.

If I just have a stirfry with vegetables all by themselves, it won't really fill me up.

But, if I add in a tin of chickpeas, or a few chunks of tofu, it just seems to fill me up more. I still add in some carbs, but I don't need them as much to fill me up.

#16 Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise628 View Post

I became vegetarian 4 weeks ago, and since then my skin has been going crazy with acne. This is odd to me since I read that one of the benefits of going veggie was clearer skin. Is it possible my body is just trying to adjust now that I'm not consuming all of the yucky hormone meats anymore? Maybe it's a detox of sorts? I hope it ends soon! Have any of u experienced this??

Prior to becoming vegetarian, i had chronic adult acne, when I went vegetarian i didnt notice any improvements, but by the third month I started to clear up. So it seems to take a while for the body to adjust.
#17 Old 02-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Beginner

I found eating nuts to be the best solution for me.  I snack on them thoughout the day.  I love them.  They are filling, and keep me full for a long time.  I like to eat an assortment, (walnuts, pecans, cashews, almonds) mixed with raisins and a healthy dose of chocolate chips....(and with a banana makes a great snack!) yummy!

Oh, forgot to mention, for me my acne has actually gotten better then it was as an omni, not sure why, but I wonder if the nuts  have anything to do with it?  I replaced bad fat with good???

#18 Old 02-09-2014, 07:14 PM

I'm about 4 weeks into Vegetarian life and have had clear skin my whole life... Until now.
It's only on my chin. Glad to know it's not just me.
#19 Old 07-07-2014, 03:16 PM

I have been having the same issues, however its been about 2 months and it seems to be evening out slightly. I just got witch hazel about 3 days ago and it seems to help, I use it about 3 times a day though since my skin is so oily. I started a food log too so I can track things better in case I need to switch things up.
#20 Old 11-13-2014, 07:23 PM

Same issue.

I am having this issue right this minute and I am freaking out a little. I just recently became a vegetarian after watching the Forks over Knives movie. I have been breaking out like a teenage and I haven't had acne since I was 12.
#21 Old 11-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Beginner

I feel like the above video represents a huge majority of those who gets acne on this kind of lifestyle!
#22 Old 11-20-2014, 02:23 PM

I forgot to add, yes to tomatoes skincare is awesome for acne suffer-ers! I've used yes to cucumbers also, it's cruelty free and 98% natural
#23 Old 11-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Acne remedy

I am going to teach you a natural/organic recipe that may help you with your problem. You will learn how to apply some apple cider vinegar. This type of cider vinegar can be useful as an acne remedy because it keeps off bacteria that may be the cause of the problem. Another property of apple cider vinegar is that it becomes alkaline, balancing the pH of your skin, and as a consequence, making it harder for the bacteria to develop. More so, apple cider vinegar is an astringent, which will help you dry up excess oil. Considering the astringent property, it is important not to overdo and dry out your skin to much, as this could cause the sebaceous glands to overproduce to compensate, which would trigger an outbreak.
What you need:
-  Pure unfiltered apples cider vinegar
-  Fresh water
What do do:
First wash your face with water and a pat dry. Using a ratio of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water, you must dip a cotton ball into vinegar and apply it to the blemish. You have to leave it on for at least 10 minutes, but you an also leave it on overnight. Go trough the same process several times a day, but not by forgetting to wash your face after each time. It is recommendable that you use a moisturizer afterwards if your skin gets  dry.
Wash your face with water and pat dry. Using a ratio of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water, dip a cotton ball into vinegar and apply it directly to the blemish. Leave on for at least 10 minutes, or overnight. Reapply several times a day, washing face thoroughly after each time. Make sure to use a moisturizer afterwards as well if you feel like your skin is getting dry. If you want to learn more about acne remedies, check http://www.how-to-get-it.com/recommends/acnerg
#24 Old 01-22-2015, 02:38 AM

Acne after being vegetarian!!! I thought its the other way round. Well, I've heard certain vegetables are able to produce acne on skin. Just make a study on what you eat.
#25 Old 01-22-2015, 04:12 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Theory number one: it may be a withdrawal symptom, while the toxins are still leaving your body.

Theory number 2: are you eating more carbs now that you've given up flesh? I made that mistake and started substituting all aminal proteins I used to consume with carbs, but if you instead go for veg and wholegrain that might make a big difference

Hope this helps...

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#26 Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Theory number 2: are you eating more carbs now that you've given up flesh? I made that mistake and started substituting all animal proteins I used to consume with carbs, but if you instead go for veg and wholegrain that might make a big difference.
Yes I agree!...Also if you eat lots of vegan sweets/ vegan cakes then the combination of carbs and fats might irritate skin
#27 Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's had this problem. I think it's lack of Zinc (and maybe some vitamins) - it's not your body detoxing, that theory has been refuted- It seemed like I wasn't getting enough zinc when I started out (it's not found in many foods, and it's absorption in vegetarians can be harder). I tried to increase the amount of nuts I ate, I haven't noticed a huge change (maybe 'cause I'm still not used to this diet... Although it's been about 6 months), but I think it's slightly better than how it was at first.
Still a bummer 'cause I really wasn't expecting my skin to get worse :/
I'm now taking a vegan multivitamin & mineral from time to time, so hopefully that's helping.
#28 Old 01-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Vegan as f**k

@ Tubbie Head - your vegan vitamin will help I'm sure
#29 Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was a teenager I noticed that the people who seemed to get the most spots were usually the ones that wore the most/heaviest cosmetics or ate the most junk food like oily chips and fast food hamburgers. Like my sister for example. I've always worn very light or no cosmetics.

Try washing your face regularly with a gentle vegan soap that contains stuff like tea tree oil and chamomile. I really like Shi Kai's body wash as well. Use a moisturizer like Max Green Alchemy's skin rescue or MyChelle. And, don't use any cosmetics that could clog up your pores. Taking a multivitamin and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil daily will also help. Flax oil is very good for the skin, hair, nails and joints.

I have never had a major issue with acne. Just an occasional spot once in a great while.

Last edited by cienerose; 01-22-2015 at 02:56 PM.
#30 Old 01-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise628 View Post
This happened to my wife & daughter when they went veg*n. My wife went to a dermatologist, who had no solution. After a month or so, everything cleared up. I read somewhere that it might be your body detoxing. It did not happen to me.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page