Slowly easing back into vegetarianism vs. all at once - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-30-2013, 02:29 PM

A little background info on my situation: I've been on and off vegetarian since I was 11, an ovo-vegetarian through high school (would've been lacto-ovo but I'm severely allergic to cow dairy products), and vegan for two years of university. I "quit" veganism a year ago for various reasons that I'd rather not get into, and have since been eating an omnivorous diet. I've been giving serious though to returning to vegetarianism or even veganism over the summer, and have finally decided to give it a real go. 

My question is, do you think it'd be best to gradually ease my way back into the diet or to jump in headfirst? So far I've been trying to eat vegan 2-3 days a week, and on days when I'm eating regularly will usually only eat one meal that is not vegetarian. I've been suffering from some digestive distress because of it (I have some longstanding stomach problems that make it hard to eat a lot of fibrous foods) but for now I'm trying to pull through to see if the problem will subside. In my personal experience I've always tried to gradually go into vegetarianism or veganism but I wonder if the slow transition just dragged on the problems longer? Do you think that my digestive problems would subside a lot sooner if I just went full-blown vegetarian all at once? 

I'd love to hear about people's experiences and/or opinions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

It really depends on your personality. Some do really well with cold-eggplant, and others need a gradual switch. If your personal experience dictates (and it sounds like your tummy!) a slow transition, then that's what you should do.

Unfortunately we're not doctors and don't know exactly what's wrong with your digestive system.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 10-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm with River on the tum issues.

It's great that you have the goal to go veg, but if it's going to make you sick to do so all at once? It just might make it all the more hard to reach that goal. If you can, find out from your doctor what you're meant to do re: Fiber.

When you go to your doctor, if you haven't already, maybe get them to clarify 'which' fibrous foods you can eat. There's soluable and insoluable and sometimes, with problems like IBS, you have to stay away from large amounts of soluable fiber (and here I was, thinking I'd never get to discuss fiber and IBS with anyone but my doctor! :P).

I don't know whether you can just 'pull through' tummy problems. I think you need to get them looked at, so you don' do any real damage to yourself

As I said, it's great that you want to go veg. But look after you too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I found that slow transitions tend to work better for me personally, I'm not the type of person who does well plunging into things and I find I'm more likely to stick with decisions if I take my time thinking about them and easing into a new way of doing things. So if that's the way you feel you are too I say go for it, although I can't give any advice about your digestive issues besides talk to a doctor about it. Maybe you could also try avoiding foods you know from experience make your stomach upset, and your doctor may have advice on what veg foods are best for you to eat too.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page