I have a question about pooping - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 AM

I'm not sure if someone's already asked this, so I apologize if this is repetitive.

Anyway, I stopped eating meat about a month ago. And for the past two weeks I've barely pooped. Do you think that could be the cause? I got constipated once in a while before I cut out meat, but never for this long.

Another thing is that I've been eating more cheese. I stopped about a week ago, though, because I thought that was the cause. But still no poop.

Anyway, any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned

How much water do you drink every day?
Are you eating vegetables and fruit?
What kinds of meals are you eating?
#3 Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM

If you aren't eating enough fiber-rich foods (broccoli comes to mind, for example) or drinking enough water, this could cause constipation, if that's what's happening. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-21-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askiya View Post

If you aren't eating enough fiber-rich foods (broccoli comes to mind, for example) or drinking enough water, this could cause constipation, if that's what's happening. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

How much water do you drink every day?
Are you eating vegetables and fruit?
What kinds of meals are you eating?

I drink a lot of water, about 65-70 ounces a day, which is supposed to be a good amount for my size. Maybe I need more? I have been eating vegetables, but not very high-fiber ones, and not much fruit, either. As for meals, it's usually vegetables for the main dish or pasta, with some sort of vegetable on the side. I have been guilty of being too busy/lazy and just making a microwavable meal, however. I tend to eat a lot of the same foods over and over.
#5 Old 08-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesleepingyeti View Post

I drink a lot of water, about 65-70 ounces a day, which is supposed to be a good amount for my size. Maybe I need more? I have been eating vegetables, but not very high-fiber ones, and not much fruit, either. As for meals, it's usually vegetables for the main dish or pasta, with some sort of vegetable on the side. I have been guilty of being too busy/lazy and just making a microwavable meal, however. I tend to eat a lot of the same foods over and over.

Digestive stress is common with changes in diet.  Just so you now, vegetarians and vegans tend to have optimal digestion because our diets are generally higher in fiber.  Meat has no fiber.

Tea or water with lemon, more fruit, and exercise should all help get you back on track.  Also consider probiotics or kombucha. 

#6 Old 08-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Eat more veggies, not cheese! I replaced meat with cheese and all that happened is that I got fat!

Now I eat lots of veggies and I'm as regular as clockwork - my wife says she can set her watch by my visits!

#7 Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

This happened to me when I went vegetarian, but the problem I was having is that I was eating cheese with basically every meal, which is kind of like eating glue if it builds up enough. As everyone else has said, plenty of fiber will help you out a lot.

Also, I notice that you're in Rochester, NY; So am I. it's a decent city to be a vegetarian in, especially in the city proper or Henrietta. I hope things work out well for you!

#8 Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 AM

Thanks, guys! I've been working on eating less cheese and it seems to be helping. I'll try getting some fiber once I get paid too, and hopefully that will clear things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

This happened to me when I went vegetarian, but the problem I was having is that I was eating cheese with basically every meal, which is kind of like eating glue if it builds up enough. As everyone else has said, plenty of fiber will help you out a lot.

Also, I notice that you're in Rochester, NY; So am I. it's a decent city to be a vegetarian in, especially in the city proper or Henrietta. I hope things work out well for you!

I really love cheese, so it's difficult haha. I've been eating less, though, and I think it's working.

And that's really cool! It's nice to know that there are some people around here who won't try to force dead animals down your throat. (Or maybe that's just where I live.) And I actually live out in Hamlin, which doesn't have much of any food, vegetarian or otherwise. Lots of farmer's markets, though. And thank you!
#9 Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesleepingyeti View Post
I actually live out in Hamlin

Ahh yeah that's too bad, you're pretty rural. Living rurally in all but the most liberal settings really tends to increase the negative opinion on vegs and lower the food options - except a lot of fresh produce.

When you have a chance you should get over to Owl House. It's small and loud but they make some really good vegetarian and vegan foods. Unfortunately they do serve a couple of meat dishes - they used to be The Atomic Eggplant, all vegetarian, but they didn't make it. So now it's more vegetarian AND hipster focused and they get more business that way...

Lori's Natural Foods is also a great place to buy stuff, but you've probably heard of them thanks to their commercials. At least you still have Wegmans available, they tend to carry a lot of vegetarian stuff.

#10 Old 08-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Banned

Yeah, cheese (or dairy products in general) can cause constipation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page