16 year old girl considering becoming a vegetarian? Are these healthy vegetarian meals? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Hi! I'm 16 and I'm considering becoming a vegetarian because I want to reduce the amount of animals being tortured for us to eat them, however my mom says it is unhealthy and wants me to make sure I'm having enough vitamins and protein in my diet.
She wants me to convince her that I'm getting enough protein in my diet and  I won't be deficient in anything. Are these healthy meals plans for vegetarians? I also run 5 K 4 days a week. Do you have any suggestions to make my eating healthier? Also do I need to have any supplements to stay healthy? I hear a lot of conflicting things about the B-12 vitamin. If I'm a vegetarian should I take a supplement? 
I can't really afford to by tofu and fake meat products and no one in my family is vegetarian so my mom won't buy them so I have to make do with what my parents already buy. Am I getting enough vitamins and protein? Also are there any good books/websites to convince my parents being vegetrarian isn't going to destroy my health. 

Breakfast 
Option 1: Oatmeal made with almond milk and chopped walnuts or almonds and fruit. 
Option 2: Egg Omlette with broccoli, spinach and peppers and whole wheat toast with peanut butter 
Option 3: Kashi Go lean cereal with almond milk and an apple 

Snack
Either fruit, nuts, or greek yogurt 

Lunch
Option 1: wrap with lots of a lots of vegetables, hummus and cheese  
Option 3: Bean burrito with cheese and peppers and onions 
Option 3: salad with slivered almonds, spinach, tomato, cucumber and eggs with olive oil and balsamic vinegar 

Snack
Lara bar or fruit salad 

Dinner
Option 1: brown rice with olive oil, salad, and kidney beans 
Option 2: Vegetarian chili (Corn, sweet potato, kidney beans, tomato, celery)
Option 3: Whole wheat Pasta with tomato sauce and cheese with peas and corn on the side

Note: I'm becoming a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I just really can't stand regular dairy milk, which is why I use almond milk instead. 

Thank you for your help! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Poo Pie Head

Those all seem to be pretty standard fare for vegetarians, and seem to be more or less healthy (I would suggest eating the egg based dishes sparingly tho, maybe once every few days just for health reasons. Same for not eating too much cheese). So, for a starter menu set, that is a good start. Definitely add more meal options tho, and include a greater variety of fruits and veggies in your diet. Not only it is healthy to do so, you will discover some veggies that you had never had before and may find that you absolutely fall in love with.

Just a little first hand reminiscing: when I went vegetarian (vegan now tho) I became a major cheese eater. I ended up gaining a fair bit of weight (10 pounds or so in 6 months). Not saying this will happen to you, just that concentrated fat sources like cheese and eggs should be seen as a treat more than a component of each meal.
#3 Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Thank you for you help! I do have a few questions. 

Aren't eggs good for you though? They help lower bad cholestoral and have a lot of protein and nutriends. And I regularily have eggs for breakfast already and have no health/weight  problems. Although cheese isn't that good for you it's not like I'm going to dump it on the food. I'll probably put around a table spoon or something.  Again, I regularily put cheese in my pasta already. I'm not trying to lose weight or anything. I just want to make sure with the meal plan I have constructed I'm getting enough protein ad vitamins in my diet. 

I can't realy afford more vegetable variety because my parents only buy romaine lettuce, spinach cucumber, carrots, cellery, brocolli,  bell peppers and tomato, which I have incorporated into my plean plan. What are soem other good ideas for meals? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

You've come up with a good plan!

Your mother should do more unbiased research. Plant based diets are increasing becoming the favorite of doctors-particularly those in cardio, cancer and diabetes.

There is much misinformation that people love to hold on to that supports the role of animal protein.

She'll want sources that are unbiased, like maybe Michale Pollans books like The Omnivores Dillema.

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Pollan/e/B000AQ74HQ

Even the USDA website as well as the Heart association support vegetarian diets.

The main thing is that even if someone doesn't want to believe they're healthier, they should at least be educated to learn they are certainly equal to the nutrition of an equal omni diet. 

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 08-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Another thing, you're not eating the costliest of foods that are bought for the family. 

Your mother wants you to be healthy, but won't buy things that only you would want, that would make your diet much easier and well, better.

I hear many parents do that not because it's an extra expense, because it isn't, but to validate their point that vegetarian diets are too hard to follow, and you won't feel well.

Keep at the greens, beans, whole grains and nuts. Eat something with vitamin C when you eat iron foods, and not caffeine with meals.

Now would be a good time to have iron levels checked. They're often low with teen girls anyway, and it's better to have it checked before you go veg! That way it can't be linked to diet!

#6 Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM

Thank you Silva for your advice!  I will definitely go get my iron levels checked and look into the book you suggested. Haha I know what you mean. My mom says she considered about my health if I go to vegetarian but won't go buy the things that could improve my diet (such as quinoa, tofu, tempeh and so on) My family is pretty well off and it's not as if we can't afford to buy other food and they wouldn't have to buy as much chicken and meat, since I would no longer be eating it.  I just hope that maybe if I show her I'm eating healthy with foods we already have it will help her warm up to the idea of me going vegetarian. I'll try and add more vegetables to my plan, and don't worry I never drink coffee!

Werewolf Girl likes this.
#7 Old 08-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

When I turned vegetarian, I ended up replacing meat with eggs and cheese and got fatter! This is not healthy - I'm not advocating that you go strict but treat eggs and cheese sparingly, you don't need to eat them every day.

Also, I would add a lot more fruits and veg to your diet. Check out the daily plate:

So half your plate should be fruits/veg and a quarter should be beans, tofu etc for the protein (essentially more fruits and veg or the occasional egg/cheese).

#8 Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Beanitarian

I am scratching my head at your OP stating tofu is too expensive.  Here it costs $2.

Dried beans are really cheap!

Beanitarian.
#9 Old 08-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

Almost forgot! Take your typical day menu and stick it in an app like Daily Plate - if you don't have a smart phone or iPad, you can do it on their website. It will sumarize your nutrient, protein, carbs etc intake. You'll quickly see if you are deficient in anything.

You usually need about 0.8g of protein for every kg of bodyweight. More if you're an athlete. To give you an idea, if you're around 60kg, just 1 serving of beans will give  you 40% of the protein needs for the day. According to the CDC, girls 14-18 need 46g protein per day.

The more I look at the chose my plate website, the better I think it is. Check out this page on vegetarian diets!

#10 Old 08-09-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

I am scratching my head at your OP stating tofu is too expensive.  Here it costs $2.

Dried beans are really cheap!

Well sadly where I live tofu is not that cheap.  Also, you can't just buy tofu, you need to buy ingredients to cook it with. Also I'm still in high school and don't have a job, so I can't be going to the grocery store to buy different ingredients.

#11 Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

It's ok, but it's some kind of freaking battle plan.

Don't hesitate to get your veggie burgers and veggie pizzas, also where the heck are the french fries ?

What i am basically saying is that if you plan it all, you are quickly going to become bored.

Food has to be enjoyed, explore new foods, new tastes, do not be afraid to experiment, you can make smoothies as well, what about vegan cakes for dessert from time to time ?

Tofu is fun to make, an easy to flavour in a thousand different ways.

It's good to run, but take care of the whole of the body ( yeah i know running is more than heart or legs, but you get my point ).

Books i would recommend the china study, showing them some studies like the adventists one, i generally share this one because it is a perfect mix of science and noob friendlyness, much more readable than most things that people just have a look at and throw away without being a flyer neither.

http://www.worldpreservationfoundation.org/Downloads/Plant-Based%20Diets%20-%20A%20solution%20to%20our%20public%20health%20crisis.pdf

It also has plenty of sources.

But as long as your visibly healthy, and got more stamina and smile than everybody around you, they will hardly be able to say it's bad for you. That might even encourage them to try and join you.

Only thing is anyway do regular blood tests to be sure everything is ok.

With a bit of experience you will be perfect on everything and might proudly show of you blood checks to anyone in your familly who might have doubts, B12 will probably be tricky so on this point i recommend complements, it's a question of absobing.

And again have fun when you eat, the moment you are boring of eating you are doing something wrong.

There is enough food and possibilities out there, let your culinary imagination go wild.

check the website happycow to find veggie restaurants around and get inspiration.

try to find veggie groups in your area as well, they will teach you some recipes and might know stuff like a place to get cheap tofu ( also what buying stuff in bulk on internet ? )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#12 Old 08-10-2013, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a whole lot to add to what was already shared, but about the eggs.  Even the Mayo Clinic warns to limit your intake of them due to the amount of cholesterol:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

It looks like they recommend no more than 4 per week and to watch for other high cholesterol food you add to your diet in addition (such as dairy products). 

I went vegan in February 2011.  In 2010 I had had my cholesterol checked and my overall total cholesterol was 155 which was relatively healthy but could be better.  I ate quite healthy then as an omnivore and was very active but I did eat quite a bit of eggs and some fatty fish (rarely dairy as I was intolerant to it).  In 2012, a year after being vegan, I had a cholesterol screening for free through my job and my total cholesterol had dropped to 125, HDL was 57, and LDL 62, all excellent numbers.  So it made a difference for me to stop eating the eggs and fish.  Not saying it is a huge problem for you at your age but it could be later in life if you go heavy on eggs and cheese to substitute for meat.  But I realize you are limited in your options while living at home. 

Beans can be eaten as is (unlike tofu) and all you need to add are fresh veggies and whatever spices/seasonings your family has on hand.  I like to eat beans in salads or mashed and put in sandwiches with tomato or lettuce, onion, etc.  For breakfast, beans on toast is another option.  A serving has more protein than an egg and many other nutrients/minerals, for example iron.  It looks like you do have a good bit of beans in your diet which is good, and raw nuts/seeds are excellent too.  Where I live pumpkin and sunflower seeds are very inexpensive compared to other nuts/seeds. Also, aside from the beans, leafy greens daily will help with iron also, if you include a vitamin C source with it as someone above mentioned.  Two years in my iron levels and hemoglobin tested at smack in the middle of healthy normal (I had it tested in addition to my usual thyroid check as I have had hypothyroidism for years) and I include two to three cups a day.  Again I realize you are limited to what your parents have on hand.  Leafy greens will also provide calcium, vitamin K, and so many other nutrients.  I hope you can convince your family to try more of a variety of them.   Kale, bok choy, and collards are especially excellent.

For someone your age trying to make it work with an uncooperative family, I'd say your diet looks pretty darn good!  Kudos to you for being so aware of your health and what you put into your body.  I wish I had been that smart and aware at your age! 

ps As far as B12, I believe the eggs have a minute amount and the yogurt has a bit more, and some plant milks and cereals are fortified with it.  I do take a supplement but I don't consume animal products at all so my situation is different.  I really can't say if I would take a supplement if I were lacto ovo vegetarian.  I would probably try to go without as I hate taking supplements but I don't know. 

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#13 Old 08-10-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

It's ok, but it's some kind of freaking battle plan.

Don't hesitate to get your veggie burgers and veggie pizzas, also where the heck are the french fries ?

What i am basically saying is that if you plan it all, you are quickly going to become bored.

Food has to be enjoyed, explore new foods, new tastes, do not be afraid to experiment, you can make smoothies as well, what about vegan cakes for dessert from time to time ?

Tofu is fun to make, an easy to flavour in a thousand different ways.

It's good to run, but take care of the whole of the body ( yeah i know running is more than heart or legs, but you get my point ).

Books i would recommend the china study, showing them some studies like the adventists one, i generally share this one because it is a perfect mix of science and noob friendlyness, much more readable than most things that people just have a look at and throw away without being a flyer neither.

http://www.worldpreservationfoundation.org/Downloads/Plant-Based%20Diets%20-%20A%20solution%20to%20our%20public%20health%20crisis.pdf

It also has plenty of sources.

But as long as your visibly healthy, and got more stamina and smile than everybody around you, they will hardly be able to say it's bad for you. That might even encourage them to try and join you.

Only thing is anyway do regular blood tests to be sure everything is ok.

With a bit of experience you will be perfect on everything and might proudly show of you blood checks to anyone in your familly who might have doubts, B12 will probably be tricky so on this point i recommend complements, it's a question of absobing.

And again have fun when you eat, the moment you are boring of eating you are doing something wrong.

There is enough food and possibilities out there, let your culinary imagination go wild.

check the website happycow to find veggie restaurants around and get inspiration.

try to find veggie groups in your area as well, they will teach you some recipes and might know stuff like a place to get cheap tofu ( also what buying stuff in bulk on internet ? )

Thank you for you help! I feel like my post was misunderstood! This plan is mostly for the benefit of my mom to make sure I'm eating healthy and am getting enough nutrients, obviously I'm not going to follow it milantly. It's just a template. I go out with my friends all the time!  My parents don't make french fries at home. They feel that they are unhealthy tongue3.gif. haha. I will take the advice and defnitely go get my blood checked BEFORE I become vegetarian. Also, I already go running, it's not something new I'm adding because I'm becoming vegetarian. I will add stregnth training to it as well. My parents are DEFINITELY not going to become vegetarian. They mix meat products in everything, which is why I have to make my own food. I've heard of the china study before. Is it really biased toward the vegetaria nside and says that omnivores are super unhealthy? I don't think my would like that, even if it does hold some truth. I'll loook into joining vegetarian groups in my area. I don't know if they have any though! 

#14 Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

Woot!!!  Really looking forward to seeing Macka B at London Vegfest carrot.gif

#15 Old 08-10-2013, 06:34 AM

@ Nature Bound Thank you for your advice.  I will try really not to eat eggs to often. They were only in two of my meal options though tongue3.gif. I feel like everybody here is jumping on the fact that I have eggs in TWO of my meals. I know that animals suffer from eggs as well, but there is no way my parents are going to allow me to go vegan and I don't know if that is a sustainable life style for me right now, especially since my parents are not very supportive! I really want to make sure I'm gettign enough protein. I don't think I have to worry too much about cholestoral, I'm only 16! I will defnitely add beans to my salads and have baked beans with my breakfast  I know they are really good for you and they are something that my parents alredy buy! I think I'm going to try and save money or convince my parents to buy  more variety of vegetables, leafy greens and for sunflower seeds. And if eggs and yogurt have enough B12, then  I probably won't take supplements. I really hate taking pills. 

#16 Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

You've mentioned almond milk- store bought? Check the label, many are fortified with B12. Mine has 25% for 8 oz.

Honestly, I'd suggest you get some B12, the kind that dissolves under your tongue (sublingual) and take one like 3 times a week. It's cheap, tastes good, and B12 is VERY important. Deficiencies aren't often seen for years, so if you test fine today, but don't get or absorb enough, you could be low years from now.

Not only for veg'ns but meat eaters also have risks dependent on what their meat (or hens) is eating.

Could you state the area where you live? Not specific, just the country. That would help with suggestions.

#17 Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

You've mentioned almond milk- store bought? Check the label, many are fortified with B12. Mine has 25% for 8 oz.

Honestly, I'd suggest you get some B12, the kind that dissolves under your tongue (sublingual) and take one like 3 times a week. It's cheap, tastes good, and B12 is VERY important. Deficiencies aren't often seen for years, so if you test fine today, but don't get or absorb enough, you could be low years from now.

Not only for veg'ns but meat eaters also have risks dependent on what their meat (or hens) is eating.

Could you state the area where you live? Not specific, just the country. That would help with suggestions.

Thank you Silva! You have been super helpful|! I get the almond breeze almond milk. I just checked the nutrition facts and it doesn't have B12 in it. What brand do you get? I guess I'll take B12 supplements just to be safe. I'm not sure how much my mom is going to like that though. Luckily my dad owns a pharmacy so I think I can get that stuff super discounted. I live in Canada but in a pretty small town. We don't have stuff like Trader Joes and Whole Foods and I'm not sure if there are even vegetarian restaurants.

I

#18 Old 08-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban1o View Post

Thank you Silva! You have been super helpful|! I get the almond breeze almond milk. I just checked the nutrition facts and it doesn't have B12 in it. What brand do you get? I guess I'll take B12 supplements just to be safe. I'm not sure how much my mom is going to like that though. Luckily my dad owns a pharmacy so I think I can get that stuff super discounted. I live in Canada but in a pretty small town. We don't have stuff like Trader Joes and Whole Foods and I'm not sure if there are even vegetarian restaurants.

I

You might try nutritional yeast for B12, that's what I use. Make sure it's nutritional yeast and not brewer's yeast--2 very different things. You can get it in bulk, or you can get it in a container. I get Bragg's in a container simply because of multiple food allergies make me want to avoid things from the bulk bin. Good luck, and I hope you succeed at vegetarianism.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#19 Old 08-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Poo Pie Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

You might try nutritional yeast for B12, that's what I use. Make sure it's nutritional yeast and not brewer's yeast--2 very different things. You can get it in bulk, or you can get it in a container. I get Bragg's in a container simply because of multiple food allergies make me want to avoid things from the bulk bin. Good luck, and I hope you succeed at vegetarianism.

I get most of my B12 from nooch as well, also from soy milk. One thing to add to your suggestion tho: make sure that the nooch you buy has been fortified with B12. Not all of them are.
#20 Old 08-16-2013, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey Ban!

Well, if I was your mum, I'd be doing the same thing. As much as it might be a pain, this could prove to go in your favour in the long run. After all, you're approaching it with your health in mind (as well as the animals). That's a great way to start.

Tofu here can be expensive. The vacuum sealed stuff I buy is about 6 dollars (though it helps to created 3 very solid meals of stirfry or curry!). 

What you MIGHT do, if you want, is compare your family's shopping list with what it could be if they bought some veg items for you as well. I know, extra work for you, but most big stores have a shopping list you can put together online that shows the total sum of things. Majority of the vegetarian items can be found in a normal supermarket. Things like tofu, tempeh and lentils. If you can show your family that the cost of vego food vs meat isn't THAT much of a difference (though it might even be less in some instances) then it gives them less excuse. Faux meat is okay, but it's really only decent for taste....Not much more.

You probably don't need to worry too much about B12. Though, as the other suggest, there's loads of things that fortify it. Do you have Sanitarium where you are? They often fortify their stuff with B12. 

The other thing I'd recommend, is mushrooms. Mushrooms are the meat of the vegetarian. They work just as well as patties as they do chopped up and thrown in a stirfry. Plus, they're delicious!

As for eggs, yeah, keeping them to a minimum is probably a good idea. But you do what you can, with the situation you find yourself in.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page