can some one give me ideas on how to cook lentils. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-14-2013, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I am needing ideas on cooking lentils, as I tried before and they did not come out so good,

Can anyone give me imput as to what I am doing wrong. Anything would be appricated. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 AM
Riot Nrrrd

How did they come out that made them "not so good" when you tried?

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#3 Old 07-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I dont rightly remember but they just were not good to me, and Ive had them before and loved them, but I didnt cook them. Maybe too bland and watered down. I did not like the texture.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-14-2013, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I like to put fresh lemon juice/peel on brown or green cooked or raw soaked and sprouted lentils and add onions, mushrooms, and brown rice for a nice dish.  I just cook lentils one part lentils to three parts water and make sure all the water is absorbed (usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes), then add them to other dishes.  If you make lentil soup you can cook them in broth or water with your veggies and other soup additions.  I have used raw lentils also and soaked them for 24 hours, then rinsed and sprouted them for a few days and added them to raw salads or collard leaf wraps with other stuff too. 

Red lentils (cooked the same way but less cooking time needed) go very well with tomato sauce and veggies/seasonings for a thick rich spaghetti/Italian sauce.  They also work well with bulgur wheat and tomato paste/seasonings for a "sloppy joe" sandwich or a variation of the same thing with different spices for taco filling.  Red lentils tend to be more mushy and do not hold their shape as well as brown or green ones but they go so well in other dishes.  I think lentils on their own can be slightly bland but I have had success with brown lentils with the lemon juice/peel and cracked ground pepper by itself.  

Yellow lentils/split peas go nicely with mango for a yellow lentil/split pea mango dahl over rice or quinoa. Red lentils make a nice Indian dahl also.   The variations on what you can do with lentils are endless.  I rarely eat them by themselves.  I think you can even add red lentils to baked goods for a boost of texture and protein. 

khadijah likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHADIJAH View Post

I dont rightly remember but they just were not good to me, and Ive had them before and loved them, but I didnt cook them. Maybe too bland and watered down. I did not like the texture.

"Too bland and watered down. I did not like the texture."

Sounds to me like you may have overcooked them? Split lentils will turn to mush if boiled too much. That's a great feature for using in soup. However if you want to avoid that, then keep your eye on them in the last fifteen minutes of cooking and test to see when they're done to your liking. Then gently drain in a fine sieve. 

khadijah likes this.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#6 Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the tips will try this. Cause I still have a bag full of them and dont want them to go to waste. Thanks again.smiley.gif

#7 Old 07-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

What type of lentils do you have? Garden variety brown/green lentils (usually just labeled "lentils") will not be super firm when cooked, although they don't need to be mushy. Just keep a close eye on them and test them as you are cooking. They are really quick cooking compared to dried beans.

Red lentils will always be mushy, while lentils de puy, French green lentils and black beluga lentils retain more firmness when fully cooked. You can look for other varieties of lentils in the international/Hispanic section of your grocery store, or at Indian or other specialty groceries.

As far as flavoring, try cooking them in broth instead of water. Otherwise, you can really season them however you like depending on how you are going to use them. I have an awesome lentil soup recipe that uses salt, black pepper, rosemary, thyme and oregano. Indian spices are good too -- garam masala on its own can be quite nice for a quick Indian-style meal with basmati rice.

Let us know how it goes!
#8 Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

well the lentils are redish color orange dont know if that helps any.

#9 Old 07-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, those are red lentils and will always be mushy. They are great for soups and stews -- you can purée them to make them even creamier. Here is one of my favorite recipes that uses red lentils: http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/red-lentil-thai-chili/
khadijah likes this.
#10 Old 07-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Siv
Veggie Regular

#11 Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I just wanted to tell you all thank you so much for the recipes and ideas  with the lentils, I cooked some last night and they turned out great, even my daughter loved them.carrot.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page