Possible to be a vegetarian and wheat free too? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM

Hi everyone-I'm brand new to this and very confused tongue3.gif My background-recently lost around 50lbs doing intermittent fasting, while still eating the foods I normally ate (typical SAD diet). As I transitioned into maintenance this spring I got really involved in primal eating, after reading a few books/sites about the supposed health benefits. At this time I also read Wheat Belly and decided to cut back on wheat products, to see if that would help with the bloating I had dealt with for years. I was pleasantly surprised to see that reducing wheat did indeed fix that issue, as well as cleared up my adult acne. I thought I had it all figured out-I started doing a different form of IF for maintenance (also known as 8:16IF), and I was eating a mostly meat and veggie diet with minimal wheat.

Fast forward to now (several months after the switch), and I'm gaining weight and starting to feel generally yucky. Won't go into too much detail, but all the meat consumption (at every meal), has really started doing a number on my digestion, ugh. On another forum I'm at there's a lot of vegetarians, and as I started reading more about eating this way, it just makes sense to me. I also have a BIG family tree of cancers (breast and colon) and eating vegetarian seems to help, or at least not hurt, my chances of avoiding this in my own life. If I'm honest with myself I can't say the same about eating primal.

Anywhoo-I'm ready to start making baby steps to transition to this way of eating, but I'm overwhelmed because meat is my biggest food source right now. I'm also not interested in finding substitutes for meat (tofu, fake meats etc) or using wheat substitutes like gluten free breads etc. I eat very simply and would like to keep it that way. That was the big draw for primal eating for me-I literally just ate meat, veggies, and some dairy most of the time. I don't like to cook/bake and don't like using complicated recipes and such.

So, is it possible to get all the nutrition I need by just eating veggies and fruit, nuts, eggs, some dairy products (cheese, butter and plain Greek yogurt), and then misc. things like honey, olives and occasional white rice? I've read a bit about vegetarians tending to be deficient in iron and B12, so I need to look into some kind of supplement (I take nothing right now), and I also will be tracking my macros on mfp, so I'll be able to keep nutritional tabs of the food I'm eating.

Is there anyone else here who's mostly wheat free too?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Welcome! A vegan body builder named Robert Cheeke wrote a book called "Vegan Body Building and Fitness" where I believe he devotes an entire section on not only being a gluten free vegan, but a gluten free vegan athlete. So yes, it is very possible! He is also one of the sweetest guys in the world, you can find him on facebook or his other... er... forum and ask him for tips, and the like if you are looking to get a little athletic!

I personally did not avoid gluten on purpose, it just kind of happened. I don't have a gluten allergy or any of that, but I kept moving my diet in a raw-whole food direction, which led automatically to a dramatic decrease in wheat products. I live a very active live, and my digestion is great.

So, absolutely a vegetarian gluten free is possible, as is gluten free vegan and gluten free vegan athletic!

Good luck, and congrats on the weight loss.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Definitely possible :)  I'm also a gluten-free and grain-free vegan and raw.  :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Welcome! A vegan body builder named Robert Cheeke wrote a book called "Vegan Body Building and Fitness" where I believe he devotes an entire section on not only being a gluten free vegan, but a gluten free vegan athlete. So yes, it is very possible! He is also one of the sweetest guys in the world, you can find him on facebook or his other... er... forum and ask him for tips, and the like if you are looking to get a little athletic!

I personally did not avoid gluten on purpose, it just kind of happened. I don't have a gluten allergy or any of that, but I kept moving my diet in a raw-whole food direction, which led automatically to a dramatic decrease in wheat products. I live a very active live, and my digestion is great.

So, absolutely a vegetarian gluten free is possible, as is gluten free vegan and gluten free vegan athletic!

Good luck, and congrats on the weight loss.

Thanks for the book suggestion-I'll definitely check it out :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Definitely possible :)  I'm also a gluten-free and grain-free vegan and raw.  :)

I'm glad there's others who are gluten free :)

I've been online here almost all morning and I've gotten lots of great info! I do think I'll pick up a b12 supplement, since I don't eat fortified things like cereal (and I only drink water-no fortified soy milk etc). Otherwise, it seems that I just need to tweak what I'm eating right now and move veggies to the number one spot, instead of meat :) Getting enough calories might be a bit trickier now, so I'll definitely keep a food journal to record calories/macros.

So much to learn, but I'm really excited to start this new phase in my life-it really feels like the right step to make for better health :)

Eta: just ordered- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OQGO6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I'm going to take it 2-3 times a week. That should cover any lack of b12 I may have :) I also occasionally take a D3 supplement because I'm deficient, but besides these two I should be all set!

Ok, I'm officially switching over to vegetarian today :)

#5 Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats!  Yay!  Vegetables are very low in calories, so make sure you eat enough sweet fruits!

#6 Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Banned

Its certainly possible, but avoiding wheat and meat while eating out can be difficult. As such, I think its only good for people that have a known issue with wheat. In terms of acne, it may have been refined wheat that was causing the problem and not gluten. Foods with a high glycemic index are known to aggravate acne.

But at home avoiding wheat is pretty easy, you can have a oat based cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, you can eat rice instead of bread with meals, you can use rice noodles instead of wheat noodles, etc.

As for as simple foods and being used to eating meat, legumes are a great natural substitute for meat. The protein giants of the plant kingdom and packed with a lot of the nutrients people typically get from meat (iron, zinc, etc). There are a lot of different sorts of legumes all with different flavors, so its hard to get sick of them.
#7 Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

Its certainly possible, but avoiding wheat and meat while eating out can be difficult. As such, I think its only good for people that have a known issue with wheat. In terms of acne, it may have been refined wheat that was causing the problem and not gluten. Foods with a high glycemic index are known to aggravate acne.

But at home avoiding wheat is pretty easy, you can have a oat based cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, you can eat rice instead of bread with meals, you can use rice noodles instead of wheat noodles, etc.

As for as simple foods and being used to eating meat, legumes are a great natural substitute for meat. The protein giants of the plant kingdom and packed with a lot of the nutrients people typically get from meat (iron, zinc, etc). There are a lot of different sorts of legumes all with different flavors, so its hard to get sick of them.

Thanks for the tips! I haven't had oatmeal since I was a kid, but I'll have to pick some of that up. I'll also have to look into legumes more :)

Yesterday was meat free but I didn't track anything, so today I'm going to journal all my food to see where I'm at for my calories/macros.

#8 Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothiesara View Post

Yesterday was meat free but I didn't track anything, so today I'm going to journal all my food to see where I'm at for my calories/macros.
You may already know about it, but with a site like cronometer.com you can enter in your food and it will give you the break down of everything (vitamins, type of protein/fat, etc). Of course, it will also tell you the basic stuff like calories and macro nutrient ratio as well.
#9 Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

You may already know about it, but with a site like cronometer.com you can enter in your food and it will give you the break down of everything (vitamins, type of protein/fat, etc). Of course, it will also tell you the basic stuff like calories and macro nutrient ratio as well.

sparks people's site does this too-I can customize what nutrients and such I want to track :) It's very eye opening to see!

#10 Old 07-14-2013, 01:16 AM
The prowling wolf

I am a gluten-free veggie too, thankfully at least around here there are many options to subsitute gluten containing wheat. Stuff like pasta made from corn meal; rice noodles etc. Almost everything has it's own substitute, the only difficult thing is bread. But when you learn to bake you'll be fine with all the premixed gluten free bread mixes. 

If you want to avoid substitutes for wheat too, you can always eat potatoes or rice a lot. They can easily substitute bread; an egg and potato hash is a great breakfast if you have an active day ahead of you. If you feel that is too much for you in the morning, fruit and greek yoghurt also makes a nice and healthy breakfast. Personally I think it isn't very hard as long as you don't rely on convenience foods which all too often contain gluten :)

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page