Non meat options...but practical. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-13-2013, 12:26 PM

So I'm giving up meat. Cool, but can anyone point me out some practical alternatives for situations like taking food to work? I basically just have a salad at the mo, which I love but isn't that filling when doing 12 hour shifts, especially on nights. I don't usually have time to make something too unusual so end up with the same old stuff. I do make a big batch of carrot & coriander soup, which is great but I'm not always able to do.

Is there any thing else to do or is it just a case of poring over recipe books and making big batches of stuff? I am in the UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

What kind of salad do you make? 

I'd suggest ensuring you use a wholemeal or wholegrain starch base to fill you up.

This is the kind of stuff I like:

Wholewheat pasta shells, sweetcorn, finely diced red onion, sliced mushrooms, creamy mayo style dressing.

Brown rice, peas, sweetcorn, crushed hazelnuts, spring onions, finely diced red and green peppers, tomatoey dressing.

Hummus and pitta breads.

Chunky barley and root vegetable soup with thick sliced wholemeal bread.

Mini pizzas made on pitta breads, topped with tomato puree, grated cheese, sliced onions, sliced tomatoes, oregano.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#3 Old 05-13-2013, 12:45 PM

They sound great to me Icken. Will give them a whirl. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Banned

peanut butter sandwiches, trail mix, pasta salad, burritos, beans and rice bowls, potato salad, hummus.

#5 Old 05-13-2013, 06:15 PM

You can take a look at this thread https://www.veggieboards.com/a/over-100-vegan-packed-lunch-ideas I also like the microwave rice bowls that you should be able to find at your local grocery.You could add dressings,proteins,and veggies to them and just microwave. 

#6 Old 05-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

If you are into fresh/uncooked food, try also bringing zucchini spiralized into pasta with a marinara, pesto, or Asian-style nut-based sauce and/or add some nuts to your salad.  You can also bring sprouts and sweet fruit.  My guess is you're running low on carbs.  You're going to need either more carbs or more fat.  So bring 600+ calories of sweet fruit, or in the alternative, add some nuts/avocado to your salad.

#7 Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you have a microwave and fridge at work?

I used to take a slice of vego lasagne, an Easybite meal (So full of nom!), left over stirfry.

#8 Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

If you still like the taste of meat and you are only giving it out for ethical reasons, you should take a look at meat imitations. Keep in mind that not all of them are very good and most of them are a bit different but it helps to fix any meat craving you might have without having to hurt any animal.

I like to compare eating fake meat to wearing a condom. It's almost like the real thing, not quite, but close enough to satisfy you without the problems that come with it.

#9 Old 05-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Location: Hypocrisy and High Horses aren't my thing, So I'm outa here.

#10 Old 05-14-2013, 10:02 AM

Thanks again all. Certainly food for thought, ho ho.
#11 Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 AM

I know some people here are vegan but I have started using Haloumi cheese instead of meat in some things. Kids loved it and assumed it was some sort of meat when I did some in pitta bread. Its great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page