VeggieBoards banner

I think fruits and/or veggies are making me cough.

12K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  leahhill 
#1 ·
I strongly suspect that it's fruit. Every time I make a green smoothie shortly after I drink it my throat feels sore and I get this horrible cough. I was coughing 24/7 for about a month until I went out of town and didn't have my vitamix. Coughing stopped cold. I just had my second smoothie since I've been back and I can feel that deep soreness and itch coming back. I mean, the soreness is so deep it feels like it's in my neck. Same thing happened with the first smoothie I had since coming back but the second one confirms it. What is going on? I can't deal with the idea of fresh fruits/veggies making me sick.

I've read it could be due to allergies to the pollens on the fruits but I don't have any allergies. I was tested as recently as 5 months ago. In the event that it IS some kind of freak allergy to the pollen is there anyway around it? This coughing gets so bad that it aggravates a bulging disk I have in my lower back to the point of not being able to sit down. I have to do something that doesn't involve me giving up my green smoothies!

#3 ·
Are you always using the same ingredients in your smoothies? I'd guess you're allergic to one of the ingredients you're using. Maybe try eating these things separately on different days instead of blending them in a smoothie, and see if one of them affects you.

--Fromper
juggle.gif

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Why do you drink smoothies? Just eat an apple or other fruit sometimes during the day.
Exactly. Is it necessary for you to blend them up? You might be allergic, and if you just ate them, you may be able to figure out which you're allergic to.

#7 ·
I'm so glad you posted this because the exact same thing has been happening to me for 2 months! I didn't realize what was causing the irritation in my throat until I stopped drinking smoothies for about a week and it completely went away. Now every time I drink one regardless of what I put in it the feeling comes back. I wish someone could tell us what causes this.