I think fruits and/or veggies are making me cough. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM

I strongly suspect that it's fruit. Every time I make a green smoothie shortly after I drink it my throat feels sore and I get this horrible cough. I was coughing 24/7 for about a month until I went out of town and didn't have my vitamix. Coughing stopped cold. I just had my second smoothie since I've been back and I can feel that deep soreness and itch coming back. I mean, the soreness is so deep it feels like it's in my neck. Same thing happened with the first smoothie I had since coming back but the second one confirms it. What is going on? I can't deal with the idea of fresh fruits/veggies making me sick.

I've read it could be due to allergies to the pollens on the fruits but I don't have any allergies. I was tested as recently as 5 months ago. In the event that it IS some kind of freak allergy to the pollen is there anyway around it? This coughing gets so bad that it aggravates a bulging disk I have in my lower back to the point of not being able to sit down. I have to do something that doesn't involve me giving up my green smoothies! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Why do you drink smoothies? Just eat an apple or other fruit sometimes during the day.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#3 Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Are you always using the same ingredients in your smoothies? I'd guess you're allergic to one of the ingredients you're using. Maybe try eating these things separately on different days instead of blending them in a smoothie, and see if one of them affects you.

--Fromper
juggle.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Why do you drink smoothies? Just eat an apple or other fruit sometimes during the day.

Exactly. Is it necessary for you to blend them up? You might be allergic, and if you just ate them, you may be able to figure out which you're allergic to.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#5 Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM

You could try removing/replacing one ingredient each week then bringing it back in until you've found the culprit.

-Slave.

#6 Old 02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

what fruit and veggies are you putting in the smoothie?

#7 Old 06-18-2020, 12:26 PM

I'm so glad you posted this because the exact same thing has been happening to me for 2 months! I didn't realize what was causing the irritation in my throat until I stopped drinking smoothies for about a week and it completely went away. Now every time I drink one regardless of what I put in it the feeling comes back. I wish someone could tell us what causes this.
#8 Old 06-18-2020, 12:30 PM

Smoothie Throat irritation

I have the same thing when I drink smoothies. I've tried removing certain fruits and the same thing happens. When I eat them separately on their own my throat feels fine. It's so weird.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page