Day 1 of a new life. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 PM

Hey guys I am 15 and i am in highschool i decided i want to become a vegetarian. My brother is a vegetarian and ever since he became one i have never seen him healthier in my life and also he is full of energy. The reasons i want to become vegetarian are because 1. i want to become and all around healthier person and start a healthy life style and 2. I want to cut down on the amount of greasy meat foods i eat such as fried chicken and things of that sort. I am 15 6'1 220 pounds. I hope that i can turn my life around and become a healthier individual and lose weight too. So do you guys have any tips for a newbie vegetarian? like anyways to ease the pain of leaving the carnivore lifestyle? :D I also watched the animal cruelty video and i honestly dont think i could ever eat meat again same with eggs and milk.. before i was like oh its not that bad and nothing really got to me mentally or emotionally. When i watched the video i cried. and at the end when they talked about how they are no different then dogs i thought about how true that was.. i thought about my puppy and i couldnt even imagine something like that happening to my lil guy and then it hit me. This happens everyday. to millions of animals a year. i might even go vegan. 

but only concerns i have with vegan is like how do i get enough fat and calcium and iron and protein?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on making this decision. Since you already have one vegetarian in the house it should be a smooth transition as there are already vegetarian meals being prepared. Although it could be different if you go vegan. For calcium make sure you eat lots of leafy greens. Iron and protein are easy, chickpeas, beans, legumes etc. Eat heaps of them. They are tasty, can be used in lots of different ways and are very good for you. Good luck. 

#3 Old 10-11-2012, 05:05 PM

Well its not going to be that easy. My brother who is a vegetarian is 22 and is off at college and my parents eat tons of meat. they dont want me to become a vegetarian because they feel it would be too much of a hassle to make a separate vegetarian meal for me :/

Julianna Bresko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Zelda Freak

Welcome! Congrats on your choices to become healthier and to stop eating meat. 

Parents can be hard when it comes to vegetarian diets. My mom was vegetarian for a long time, then wasn't and when I went vegetarian at 15 or so, she wouldn't buy veggie food just to be a pest. It was frustrating. 

My boyfriend's daughter just went vegetarian and she's got it good here since I'm vegan, but at her mom's house it's been a bit harder as her mom and sister still eat meat. I helped her look into some veggie food choices and told her to tell her mom about them OR better yet go shopping with her mom so she can pick stuff out. 

You may be able to do the same. I'd suggest...

• Go shopping with your parents so you can choose some vegetarian products that are easy to make along side your parent's dinner - like garden burgers, pasta, etc. 

• Sell them on the fact that non-meat products cost WAY less than meat. 

• Sell them on the fact that meatless meals can be very easy.

• Start learning to cook so you can help make meals. You should be able to get some easy vegetarian cookbooks at your library.

• Get your family doctor on your side. Cutting back on fat and calories is something most doctors support and maybe he/she can help you talk to your parents about it. 

Here's a link that may help you out. http://www.growingagreenfamily.com/vegetarian-meals-for-meat-lovers-or-reluctant-vegetarians/

You can do it, even if your parents aren't totally on board, but you'll have to put some extra effort in. Think of as good learning skills for when you move out and live on your own :) 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#5 Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartymart View Post

but only concerns i have with vegan is like how do i get enough fat and calcium and iron and protein?

I wouldn't worry about this yet. Most Americans get far too much protein. So long as you're drinking fortified soy milk and eating lots of fresh veggies you'll get enough calcium. The key is to eat a healthy diet that's balanced. 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:

+

* Find me:
+
+
#6 Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Beginner

Its not hard to make a meal for you parents and you. I live with my fiance who isnt veggie and we get by with it all the time. Like last night he had pork chops green beans and then kindy beans with rice. I just ate the beans and rice and green beans simple solution. For pasta just pull out some sauce and not put meat in it. For us its one of our veggie meals that we dont bother adding meat too. Its pretty easy to adapt meals for you sub beans for for taco night pull soup out of the pot before meat is added get veggie burgers for when you eat burgers. I would say you just have to be willing to make your extra food that only you will eat. and if you have any adversions to things like milk and butter in potatos or cheese in pasta sauce or eggs in the breading of fried things i will make things harder. I suggest  a slow change over take out the meat but leave the eggs milk and dairy then when your family is used to the idea and have figured out how to cook start pulling eggs and dairy. I might make your family frustrated if you start out with i dont what this and this and this and there lost on how to help you cook something to eat. Good luck i hope everything works out with you. 

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page