the only one? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Is there anyone eles here that is the only one in the household or family that is veg.?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

<--yup

Luckily my siblings are very supportive and pretty educated about how healthy it is. My parents are also OK with it.

How are you dealing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#3 Old 07-30-2012, 09:04 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Yep. Right here :) I don't any of my distant relatives are vegan or even vegetarian. o.O I deal. I know my close family won't change. They "do" care about the animals and don't want them to be harmed, but they aren't willing to give up meat and icecream. So I don't waste my time on my family encouraging them to change. I educate others. :)

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 AM
Beginner

Yes!

My family were supportive when I turned vegetarian, not so much now I've gone vegan as they think I’m being extreme and worry about my health. I'm not too worried though as I feel amazing.

I do find it a little awkward when we eat out, as someone always asks questions, and I don't particularly want to go into a conversation with the ins and outs of factory farming over diner!

I love my friends. So I don't eat them
I love animals. So I don't eat them either
#5 Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Louise View Post

Yes!

My family were supportive when I turned vegetarian, not so much now I've gone vegan as they think I’m being extreme and worry about my health. I'm not too worried though as I feel amazing.

I do find it a little awkward when we eat out, as someone always asks questions, and I don't particularly want to go into a conversation with the ins and outs of factory farming over diner!

That's when you tell them after dinner, keeping a few vegan pamphlets on hand too! I think people just like to ask over dinner so that their defense mechanisms can be fired up and they will be less likely to listen to you in the future xD

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#6 Old 07-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

That's when you tell them after dinner, keeping a few vegan pamphlets on hand too! I think people just like to ask over dinner so that their defense mechanisms can be fired up and they will be less likely to listen to you in the future xD

I agree. It's annoying, because I'm not a preacher and don't want to discuss it over food, but people do try and test you and push you into a corner sometimes.

I will definitely be getting some of those leaflets you recommended on another thread, I think they were vegan outreach but can't remember (I've subscribed to the thread so I can check on payday). I think these will work wonders for me as I find it hard to discuss this, I'm not shy, but people either irritate me with their irrational defensive responses or I get all emotional. Neither is conducive to a sensible conversation.

I love my friends. So I don't eat them
I love animals. So I don't eat them either
#7 Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 PM

Yeah...I'm the only one in my family.

My family has never really made things difficult for me...except for at first, a few years ago when I went vegetarian I was stuck with only having side dishes from my family's meals...but then my dad let me cook all my meals for myself (when he began to realize I was basically living off of rice and corn) so things got lots easier. It was even easier when I went vegan later on because by that point I had all completely separate meals and I was buying/cooking all of my own food.

It's kinda sad because I'm moving out next summer straight into another house where I'll be the only vegan. I have no veggie friends. It's depressing.

#8 Old 08-05-2012, 03:50 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I think I am. Either my mom eats very small amounts of meat or none at all.

Other than that I have a few family members that care about animals, and probably even thought about being vegetarian but didn't for some reason or another. My bff, too. Says she does not like animal abuse or supporting Mc Donalds but that's her fav place to eat. Also my bff's mom has been saying she would like to go vegetarian :o

All we are is dust in the wind
#9 Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 AM

I'm one of 9 children and have a large extended family; I am the only Vegetarian and none of my family are very supportive... even now!

I am considered the fussy eater!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
#10 Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 AM

Me!

I live with my partner, and he's very supportive - he almost hasn't eaten meat since i became vegetarian. 

But I haven't told my parents yet so I don't know how they'll take it. I have my sister coming to stay with me next week, and so she's going to find out and I'm not sure how to tell her or how things will play out once she tells my parents.

“People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” 

#11 Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Beginner

I'm the only one my sister eats little meat. She saw a movie in high school food class that put her off meat she only eats chicken. I live with my fiance and he isnt veggie. My parents arent either and none of my fiance's family is either. I have a big family and havent really had to deal with holidays yet but i know they support me about it.

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

#12 Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I was. My husband eats meat out occasionally, but only veggie at home. My grandpa is vegetarian now, and my mom has stopped eating everything but fish (for the most part--she is trying.) I don't feel so alone now. It's nice.

#13 Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM

so cool! so true
#14 Old 08-20-2012, 08:31 PM

Considering this is only the first day I've gone without eatting meat, I dunno how valid my comment is but here we go...

Yes.  But the general rule of the household is, whatever you make then it'd better get eatten.  So I just have to make small batches at a time so nothing's getting wasted or old.  Though the family ended up ripping into the dinner I made (spicy bean burritos) which was...annoying lol.  I was hoping to have one for lunch tomorrow but whatevs I'll just whip something else up. 

#15 Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post

Considering this is only the first day I've gone without eatting meat, I dunno how valid my comment is but here we go...

Yes.  But the general rule of the household is, whatever you make then it'd better get eatten.  So I just have to make small batches at a time so nothing's getting wasted or old.  Though the family ended up ripping into the dinner I made (spicy bean burritos) which was...annoying lol.  I was hoping to have one for lunch tomorrow but whatevs I'll just whip something else up. 

Congrats on the burrito success! grin.gif I think you'll find your family scarfing up your food frequently! grin.gif That's great that you guys don't waste food; you can always freeze any leftovers you have for the future. I often make extra on purpose because I have a house where I'm never sure how many or who will be eating. This way I have my labeled and dated stuff in the freezer that I can whip out when it is a busy day.
#16 Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Oh bud...you should look in our deep freeze.  lol there really isn't a lot of room as we're a buy in bulk kind of family to get the best deals.  Plus a lot of the stuff we grow in the garden we freeze for the winter.  Though honestly I really enjoy cooking as a stress reliever, so it all works out =)  I cut off some eggplants earlier, so I might make a parm out of em tomorrow.  That or I still have one pizza crust left that needs to be used...maybe a pizza.  Or I can be a glutton and do both!

#17 Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post

Oh bud...you should look in our deep freeze.  lol there really isn't a lot of room as we're a buy in bulk kind of family to get the best deals.  Plus a lot of the stuff we grow in the garden we freeze for the winter.  Though honestly I really enjoy cooking as a stress reliever, so it all works out =)  I cut off some eggplants earlier, so I might make a parm out of em tomorrow.  That or I still have one pizza crust left that needs to be used...maybe a pizza.  Or I can be a glutton and do both!

Oh, no freezer space is hard, but it is great you'll be able to easily find stuff to eat in there. :)I've made eggplant "parm" pizza before, you could combine! smiley.gif
#18 Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 AM

I'm the only vegetarian in my entire family. My mom has tried several times to give up meat, but that has never lasted more than two days before she claims she feels faint and gives up. She is very supportive, however. She didn't complain when I switched over to soy milk and limited my cheese intake to once a week. My brother and father, on the other hand, are indifferent. I've given up trying to explain to them the horrors of factory farming, because every time I mentioned something to my brother he'd reply with "Nothing will ever deter me enough to stop eating meat." My dad doesn't seem to care. When I was three months in to eating vegetarian he actually offered me some beef jerky because he'd forgotten. That shows how much my diet is on his mind grin.gif.

I've kind of given up trying to convert my family members and close friends. I live in Michigan, where pretty much everyone is a hunter, so I am not vocal about my values for fear of being ostracized.

"Common sense is not so common."
#19 Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM

Yay and it have put a certain amount of strain on my marriage :-|

#20 Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Yep, I'm also the only one. Right after I became vegetarian, my sister wanted to be one too, and lasted about 8 hours. My mom has become very conscious about things since I've been one, is extremely supportive, and likes to try new recipes and find new vegan specialty things, my youngest sister has told me she wants to be a vegetarian (also helps one of her many 'husbands' is vegetarian ) but she likes chicken and says she has trouble giving it up. *shrug*
It's nearly been 13 years since I first became one but it doesn't feel like it at all. Being the only veg*n is just how it is and has always been.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#21 Old 08-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Not only am i the only veg in my family, im the only one that i know period ( besides you guys of course but i dont personaly know you)
#22 Old 08-22-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

Not only am i the only veg in my family, im the only one that i know period ( besides you guys of course but i dont personaly know you)

Same here! Small world grin.gif

"Common sense is not so common."
#23 Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Yes, I am the only one in my family whom is vegetarian! My wife and older daughter are picky about what veggies and fruits they eat. My younger daughter eats everything!
#24 Old 08-23-2012, 01:42 PM

My sister became vegetarian at college, and shes the only other vegetarian in the family. So I'm not the only vegetarian in the family, but I'm the only one in my house.

Be the change you want to see in the world - gandhi
#25 Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Mememe! My family and friends enjoy eating their animals. I, however, do not :). Everyone's pretty supportive though, which is always nice!

#26 Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Beginner

Yes, I am and unfortunately. I live with friendly roommates but there are all omnivores!!! meat or fish everyday!

however they respect my convictions. and when they want me to taste something they always check if there is no animals products. so it is nice. but it is sure that it would be better to have others persons who are vegan to live with. 

#27 Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Beginner

Yeppers! and not only am I the only person whos veg but they are hunters and fishermen :/

#28 Old 08-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieMuffin74 View Post

Yeppers! and not only am I the only person whos veg but they are hunters and fishermen :/

it is even worth! hope they don't keep the fur to create clothes and they aren't fur bearing

#29 Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM

I had temporarily converted my sister. I am the only vegetarian in my family for 10 years combined because I had stopped a while. I love being a vegetarian. I wonder sometimes about oysters. But could never eat living creatures again.I feel amazing.
#30 Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM

I had temporarily converted my sister. I am the only vegetarian in my family for 10 years combined because I had stopped a while. I love being a vegetarian. I wonder sometimes about oysters. But could never eat living creatures again.I feel amazing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page