Help - looking for meat substitutes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM

I want to become a vegetarian. I hate the idea of killing any animals for meat and my wife is a lifelong vegetarian. I have given up red meat but am having trouble giving up chicken, because I love a curry. I like Quorn mince but find the Quorn chicken substitute tasteless.

Are there any other chicken substitutes which I can use in curries? I would like to be able to cook it in exactly the same way as I would cook a chicken curry, i.e. fry with onions and sauce. Alternatively, are there any ingredients I can add to make Quorn chicken more interesting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Dunno i don t really like chicken style things, you can go to the vegan restaurants in your area ( search on happycow ) and ask them where they got it, some of them sell directly some products. I know that there is easelly at least 4 or 5 different vegan chicken style stuff but all asian wich names i don t remember, not speaking about the western ones... I ve seen it in a few different vegan shops or restaurants across europe. Mostly frozen ones in quiet flat packages, and also one wich even looks like a real chicken with the wings, the head cut etc...

If you don t have enough responses here you can contact the vegan and vegetarian society/groups of your country, they generally have a list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://
https://www.autistici.org/en/index.html  https://riseup.net/en

https://pay.reddit.com/r/privacy/wiki/index

#3 Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you from? I'm in U.S. and don't care for Quorn, but have loved veg*n chik'n things long before giving up meat!

Gardein-everything I've had I've loved! Their seven grain nuggets are wonderful fryed up in a cast iron lightly oiled. Some siracha, or any hot sauce, a cucumer dip-yum!
Boca chik'n patties. I like these a lot for salad.

Oh, you said curry!
I don't ever think of using chik'n things in curries- I just do veggies or some tofu.
I guess something like Morningstar chik'n grillers would be good-vegan too.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Gardein is a pretty good chicken substitute, they have unbreaded chick'n tenders that would work well in a curry.

However, I second what silva said about using veggies or tofu! Make it the same way you would with chicken but substitute your favourite veggies instead for something different and healthier.

I made vegan "butter potatoes" by using the recipe for butter chicken except I subbed in coconut milk for cream and potatoes and peas for the chicken. It was delicious!

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 05-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Gardein is a pretty good chicken substitute, they have unbreaded chick'n tenders that would work well in a curry.

However, I second what silva said about using veggies or tofu! Make it the same way you would with chicken but substitute your favourite veggies instead for something different and healthier.

I made vegan "butter potatoes" by using the recipe for butter chicken except I subbed in coconut milk for cream and potatoes and peas for the chicken. It was delicious!

I agree with all of this ^^. Gardein has unbreaded small patties, too. I don't think the mock meats are as good cooked for a long time (like in a stew) as sometimes the texture gets weird.

Potatoes and peas yum.
#6 Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I don't think the mock meats are as good cooked for a long time (like in a stew) as sometimes the texture gets weird.

I learned that the hard way yesterday. I made a beef and mushroom/veggie stew with Gardein's beefless tips and the tips started to turn to mush. I even added them at the very end and yet they still started to become mushy. I tried to rescue them by scooping them out and then pan frying them to firm them up a bit, but they were still pretty disappointing.

I hate when I look forward to a meal I am making and it doesn't live up to my expectations. I'm definitely only frying those guys for now on since I like them crispy and chewy.
#7 Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Below is a couple of Seitan inspired chicken like recipes that might work.
I haven't actually made either of these recipes yet, so I can't testify to how good they might be, but I figure they're worth a try.
You'll have to crop out the fake chicken creation parts (sorry)

-You might also think about simmering some tofu in "BRYANNA'S HOMEMADE VEGAN CHICKEN-STYLE BROTH POWDER" (below) and using it as a substitute.
=================================

Vegan Boneless Chickenless Hot Wings

INGREDIENTS
Wings
- 12 mini bamboo skewers
- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup chicken broth powder (RECIPE BELOW)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup water

Breading
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs

Sauce
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup hot sauce

METHOD
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Line a dark baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with oil.
2. Mix flour, stock powder, and spices together. Add oil and enough water to make a dough. The dough should be somewhat stiff, but able to be kneaded. Knead for a few mins then shape into a log and slice into 12 to 16 pieces. Stick a bamboo skewer into each piece of dough and shape around the stick. Wet your hands if you need to.
3. Whisk together soy milk, oil, lemon juice, and flax seed in a shallow dish. In a separate shallow dish, mix together bread crumbs and spices.
4. Roll seitan in soy milk mixture, then in bread crumbs. When all seitan has been coated, roll again in soy milk and press into the bread crumbs to get a thick coating. Place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20 - 25 mins, until crumbs are golden and seitan has plumped up. While seitan is cooking, melt margarine in a small saucepan and add hot sauce. Remove cooked seitan from oven and spoon sauce over each wing. Return to oven and cook for 5 mins.

BRYANNA'S HOMEMADE VEGAN CHICKEN-STYLE BROTH POWDER
makes about 1 and 1/2 C.
Blend in a dry blender:
1 and 1/3 c. good-tasting nutritional yeast flakes
3 T. onion powder
2 and 1/2 T. sea salt
2 and 1/2 tsp. garlic granules or powder
1 T. soymilk powder
1 T. white beet sugar
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. finely crumbled dried sage (NOT powdered)
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. tumeric
Store in an airtight container and use 1 level tablespoon per cup of water.
================================

Chickenless nuggets

INGREDIENTS
Makes 24 nuggets
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp poultry spice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil

- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, crushed between your fingers
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground flax seed
- 1 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar

METHOD
1. Whisk together flour and spices in a bowl. Whisk together water and oil and a separate bowl and add to flour mixture. Stir and bring into a dough. It's rather hard to knead this dough, so I stretch out the sides and then fold them into the centre. I then press down to mold it back together again. This works the gluten and helps mix everything together.
2. Roll dough out into a long log, about 12-14 inches long. Let rest while you mix together the bread crumbs, nutritional yeast, tumeric, and paprika in one bowl, and the flax seed, soy milk, oil, and vinegar in another.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with oil.
4. Slice dough into 24 pieces (about half inch each). Press down a bit to get a nugget shape, dip in soy milk, then lightly roll in bread crumbs. Repeat with all pieces of dough.
5. Re-dip nuggets back in soy milk (let it soak up so you get a thick breading), and roll again in the bread crumbs. Press the nugget into the crumbs to get a nice thick coating and to maintain the nugget shape. Place on baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10 mins, flip, then bake for another 10 mins. Flip again and cook for 4 mins, then flip and cook another 4 mins (this keeps the breading from browning too much).
7. Serve with dipping sauce of you choice. These are a bit chewy when they are piping hot, but firm up nicely when they cool down a bit.

I am my own bad companion

#8 Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I want some of those seitan hot wings!!
#9 Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Give peas a chance

Have you tried incorporating a chicken-flavored veg seasoning mix or bouillon into the dish?

There is a brand of powdered broth in the US called McKay's. They have one called "Vegan Special - McKay's Chicken Style Instant Broth and Seasoning." The taste reminds me of the Lipton Cup of Soups that I ate when I was omni. No culinary masterpiece, but it does impart a chicken style flavor. And there is also Better Than Bouillon, which has a chicken flavored base that is vegetarian/vegan. I haven't tried that one.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#10 Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 PM

This says it all:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3...z4iwo1_500.jpg

http://www.remedyguru.com
#11 Old 05-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Agree that Gardein is tasty and vegan.

However, instead of trying to replicate comfort foods (which seems to be a movement in the vegan cookbook industry) what about trying something new? Meat analogs are highly processed and most contain animal products and tons of salt.

How about using tofu or tempeh. Take extra-firm tofu, slice it, get the water out by wrapping in a towel and stacking plates on top of it...cube it, stir fry it a bit and then add it to the curry. Or try using chickpeas. Get comfortable with vegetarian food that doesn't taste like mama used to make and develop a new and refined palate for good vegetarian options.
#12 Old 05-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

When I went veg, I missed fish and beef much more than chicken, so maybe I'm not the best person to respond, but have you tried chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)? They have a vaguely chicken-y flavor, although of course the texture isn't even close to that of chicken meat. The flavor of most curries derives a lot from the spices used, so if it isn't the texture of chicken you miss so much, substituting garbanzos for chicken might work. (I suggest making a small amount to start, so that in case it's a culinary epic fail, you won't have wasted too much food!)

Like I said, I don't miss chicken, so I haven't really tried the vegetarian chicken substitutes and can't comment on them. Good luck- and welcome aboard!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#13 Old 05-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post

Agree that Gardein is tasty and vegan.

I make vegan chicken curry with this all the time. It is very good. My omni bf and family love it.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#14 Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

yOu can make curries and stews with meat substitutes. iT is the sauce that should be simmered slowly before adding the given substitute which doesn't t require such a long cooking time.
#15 Old 05-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you checked out meatalternatives.org ?
#16 Old 05-13-2012, 04:32 PM

At some point it might be easier to just think of the dish as being entire veg*n, rather than trying to fill the gap that meat leaves. Recipes like this one use a whole bunch of different ingredients so that you don't have just one potentially bland substance subbing for meat.
#17 Old 05-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

If you're in the UK try here: http://www.veggie-world.com/OnlineShop and enter 'chicken' in the sites search bar.

They have several types with slightly varying textures and flavours.
#18 Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Beginner

I recommend learning to cook with lots of veggies and tofu. While meat substitutes are tasty on occasion, I place them in the same category as fast food.
#19 Old 05-26-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Have you checked out meatalternatives.org ?

no good ..don't see wal-mart grin.gif

#20 Old 05-26-2012, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

If in the UK, you could try this stuff made from soya and wheat gluten.

We prefer it to Quorn (and if it's of any import, hasn't any eggs in) in curries, where we find it works jolly well.

Nice firm texture, though not chewy. The flavouring is somewhat similar to the kind of chicken flavouring you'll find in a chicken pot noodle or roast chicken crisps say, so how you feel about fake chicken flavouring in other foods, will probably determine how much or how little you like these chunks.

I'm sure other supermarkets have very similar products in the freezeer, ASDA is just where we happen to get our shopping from.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=asda+chicken+style+pieces&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=78598

While we use these to replace chicken in a fast curry (we use Pataks pastes along with the chunks for a fast curry, which I think are fantastic and much richer and tastier that a jar of ready made sauce) I'd also do what others suggest and explore traditional Indian curries, which are of course mostly vegetarian!

Try picking up a book and trying some new things - though if curry is what you're after, I'd suggest it's specifically book of Vegetarian Curries rather than Vegetarian Indian Cuisine more broadly. Indian food has a lot more to it than curry of course, and I've a number of books of Veggie Indian Cuisine on my bookshelf, but as a curry fan they just never seem to have enough curries in for my liking! 

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#21 Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Gardein products are fabulous.

#22 Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas View Post

Gardein products are fabulous.

I've been following a whole-foods, plant-based diet for 16 years. I have no need for meat substitutes, but I saw a bag of Gardein Crispy Chick'n patties on sale at my local supermarket, so I decided to give them a try just for curiosity. Gross!

Sorry folks, it's been years since I've eaten chicken, but these were nothing like it. If I were a carnie experimenting with a veggie diet, these would send me right back to the meat locker for good. If meat subs in general fail in this manner, then companies who truly want to advance the veggie cause should stop marketing their products as drop-in substitutes for meat. 

Just my $0.02. smiley.gif

#23 Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWF2 View Post

I've been following a whole-foods, plant-based diet for 16 years. I have no need for meat substitutes, but I saw a bag of Gardein Crispy Chick'n patties on sale at my local supermarket, so I decided to give them a try just for curiosity. Gross!

Sorry folks, it's been years since I've eaten chicken, but these were nothing like it. If I were a carnie experimenting with a veggie diet, these would send me right back to the meat locker for good. If meat subs in general fail in this manner, then companies who truly want to advance the veggie cause should stop marketing their products as drop-in substitutes for meat. 

Just my $0.02. smiley.gif

Different strokes for different folks I guess, I really like Gardein tongue3.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page