Skin breaking out after diet change?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM

I have always dealt with mild acne and it has never really been a problem. I would get maybe one or two small breakouts a month. It has been 1-2 weeks since I cut meat out of my diet and my skin has been freaking out! It has never been this bad in my life and no matter what I do it seems to be getting worse! I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen when they turned vegetarian?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you start eating anything different? Did you increase your consumption of dairy products such as milk and cheeses?
#3 Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe someone who knows about de-toxification can speak up here? I have heard that since your skin is also an organ, it is not unlikely that toxins would be "escaping." All I can say is make sure you are getting 8 8oz glasses of water. I've been breaking out recently, because I generally do when the weather gets warm. I am not a happy camper. It will equalize pretty soon (I hope). I think it is from sweating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

While I can't swear to this, I would bet that your change in diet isn't the cause.
Unless it's an an allergic reaction. Are you eating a new type of vegetable?
An allergic reaction can also be from changed laundry detergent, new sheet/blanket, plant(s) nearby, etc.
Or if you are a teenager it could just be a new change in your body chemistry (no fun, but it should stabilize in a few years).
I would look for any possible external sources (sheets etc.) and other than that I would start a cleaning regimen like this one that helped me:
One or more times a day wash with a mild soap and warm water using a wash cloth, rinse with warm water, rinse with vinegar, pause for 20-30 seconds or so, rinse with cold water, blot dry.

-The vinegar shrinks your pores and kills bacteria while not drying out your skin.

I am my own bad companion

#5 Old 05-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Beginner

I had the same problem when I went veg 8 months ago. I haven't suffered with acne since my teens, but now, nearly 30 and after going veg, my skin exploded with painful acne. I'm just now starting to recover, but now have a terribly uneven skin tone (acne scars?).

I can't say for certain that the acne was all diet related, as I've been suffering a great deal of stress over the last few months.

I have reduced my soy/mock meat intake, and have had microdermabrasion to unclog my pores. I also bought a few acne treatments, one being a tea tree topical antiseptic (which is great for drying out the spots) and the 'acne cleansing cream' by Moo Goo (I swear by this one, my acne's reduced since using this).
#6 Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRachel View Post

I have always dealt with mild acne and it has never really been a problem. I would get maybe one or two small breakouts a month. It has been 1-2 weeks since I cut meat out of my diet and my skin has been freaking out! It has never been this bad in my life and no matter what I do it seems to be getting worse! I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen when they turned vegetarian?

I think its not the change of diet, eat a lot of fruits rich in V-C, before when I encounter acne I go to beach and burn it in the sun in the morning and apply some medicine for it, hot spring also help. If your place don't have hot spring you can boiled water mix with salt and apply it in the area affected then rinse it just make sure that the water is not too hot to burn your skin ok? Do it every morning and in the evening before you go to sleep.

http://allstopsnoringaids.com

#7 Old 05-14-2012, 05:10 PM

This is interesting, I experienced the opposite. My skin cleared up considerably after changing my diet to vegetarian. I think that it is possible that detoxification could be part of the problem. It wouldn't be a bad idea to use a toner in the morning and evenings in case that is the problem (toxins escaping from your skin). If it is that, it should clear in a few weeks.
#8 Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 PM

My thoughts on what it could be:
Detox or other "drastic" change reaction
Increase of dairy
Allergic reaction to new food

Thinking about it a bit more though, since you already had an issue with acne, albeit mild, it may be just coincidental.

~~ Maggie
#9 Old 06-25-2012, 10:45 AM

Have you increased the amount of SOY you are eating? I turned vegetarian and ate a lot of soy in the beginning. I have since cut it out and my skin is back to normal - even better!! You should also try coconut milk and coconut butter for better dairy substitutes.

#10 Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 PM

I have acne breakouts too....my dermatologist told me to avoid nuts as it causes more oil production in the skin so perhaps you are eating more nuts now???? It can also be hormonal. I know for a fact, because my DR recently changed my hormones 4 months ago to include testosterone and lo and behold my skin went into overtime making  bumps EVERYWHERE...face, neck, scalp, back. I quit taking them and it's finally clearing up.. 

#11 Old 06-28-2012, 03:12 PM

I googled and found this article that might help http://www.livestrong.com/article/77393-adult-acne-dairy/ there are also several other articles on the side that has some good info.

#12 Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Beginner

I had the same thing happen i never had many break outs even as a teen. I'm 25 and now having a worse time with it. But at the same time i made the veggie switch i also changed face washes and my Dr changed my birth control. I changed my face wash back and nothing new so its either the meds or diet change. Thankfully a few weeks ago it started to clear up. I just started to wash up twice a day and like someone said i was eating a lot of tofu in the beginning. So i cut that out and now its better. You may just have to experment with things to see what works. 

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

#13 Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I just started to use lemon juice on my face. It is a wonderful pore cleaner. My face has never looked better. Just plain lemon juice. You don't need to rinse it off.

#14 Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM

I'm going through the same thing right now.  At first I thought it was hormones or something, even though I've never had an acne problem in my life, until someone at work told me that the same thing happened to them when they went vegetarian for a while.  Eventually it should clear up.  Mine is starting to get better already.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page