Hungrier Since Going Vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-03-2012, 05:32 PM

I was previously a pescatarian for about the past 3 years, so now, I've only cut cheese, dairy, and fish out of my diet. It's been about a week that I've been completely vegan, and I've found that I'm hungrier than usual. But I think it's strange, because dairy never made up a large part of my diet even when I did eat it, and I ate fish once a week at the most. Why would I be feeling hungrier, then? My usual day of food consists of oatmeal in the morning, then a sandwich, a granola bar, and apple for lunch, a banana and some nuts for a snack, and then whatever's for dinner--usually some combination of vegetables and grains. I also run for about 45 minutes every day, and I'm 17 years old, if that makes any difference. I'm just wondering why this could be the case, and if I should be eating more, or what. I do eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, but still, I don't want to eat too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn't sound like enough food. After I eat oatmeal, I'm starving 30 minutes later. And by starving, I mean stomach making noises loud enough for the room to hear. Do you eat beans? Lentils? Pasta?
#3 Old 02-03-2012, 05:36 PM

I eat a lot of pasta/other whole grains. And I usually add raisins to the oatmeal, but again, it only keeps me full for an hour or two at most, though I usually can't eat for at least 4 hours after I have breakfast because I'm in school. For example, for dinner, I had buckwheat noodles with vegetables, and it's a couple of hours afterward, and I'm hungry again. But it wasn't a small amount that I ate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Vegan food is often lower calorie by default, I'd just try increasing your portions and eating more snacks.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 02-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Too few calories. More variety, more junk food Okay, maybe not more junk food, but more calories. If you're still hungry after pasta and veggies, add a whole grain roll with margarine on it to the menu. Have a small dessert. More snacks.
#6 Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

^^^ what danakscully wrote.

Possibly you could use more protein in your diet. I know, a lot of non-vegetarians have a misconception that vegetarians are all protein-deficient, and we're generally not. But you're 17, physically active, and still growing- and the fish and dairy foods you recently gave up are all VERY rich sources of high-quality protein- except maybe some cheeses which are awfully high in fat. I'm not saying you cannot or should not be vegan- just maybe a little more variety would be good.

I eat a lot of oats and other grains, too- they are the mainstay of my diet probably. But I also eat legumes. I think legumes are harder to make tasty than oats, whole wheat or rye bread, or rice, but that's just my opinion. Legumes are higher in protein than grains, and their carbohydrates digest more slowly, giving you energy for the long haul.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#7 Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I would guess that because of your age and activity levels, you could probably eat more calories. I find brown rice to be pretty filling. Unfortunately for me, it packs a lot of calories so I can't eat too much.
#8 Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 PM

i would suggest that you eat more calories... try more fruit or maybe add some avocados, coconut, or more nuts/seeds in there somewhere. Adding the calories is probably going to do the trick!
#9 Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM

I would also suggest more calories also and trying to eat foods with complex carbs and lots of protein to keep you full longer. Being at a young age and being active definitely plays a role in why you're hungrier. Your basal metabolic rate is higher, so you should probably be eating a bit more.
#10 Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I also feel more hungary since I've given up animal protein.

I suggest that you add more fat into your diet i.e. yogurts, evo, nut oils, nut butters. Make sure that your sandwich has a substantial filling and who have wholemeal grainy bread instead of white. Have you tried mashed avocado and smoked tofu for example ? Vegan cheese and tomato with black olives on a roll with evo.

For dinner I would add pulses/legumes to the grains. Have you tried veggie burgers ? Tofu stir fry with brown rice. Chili with cornbread.

Have you tried having smoothies for snacks ? Whizz up a frozen banana, soya or oat milk, silken tofu plus sweetner ( agave or stevia). Nut smoothies, peanut butter and banana, cashew and vanilla. They taste fabulous and are really filling.

Make sure you have a yogurt and fruit for dessert.
#11 Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Satt .... how much water do you drink in a day?
#12 Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 PM

I don't really keep track. I drink throughout the day, whenever I'm thirsty.
#13 Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Beginner

I find that since going vegan i snack more often but they are smaller meals...its actually healthier this way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page