Help with a standard Vegetarian/ Vegan shopping list - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 AM

I would really appreciate some advice as to a basic shopping list for when I go shopping tomorrow.

I never really planned to become vegetarian, rather just fell into it. So I haven't really planned any new meals and I'm not sure whether I'm getting enough nutrients etc.

I have gradually been buying less and less meat to a point that I no longer buy any meat. I have been replacing meat with things like butternut squash, aubergine and way too much cheese as a meat replacement. I'd ideally like to cut out dairy too as I feel guilty having milk and eating cheese too.

I was just wondering what a standard food shop would be for people on this forum.

I was planning on buying some soy milk and almond milk. I've never tried them before.

I was going to buy lots of kidney beans, butter beans, lentils.
Also potato, bananas and any other fruit I can think of, which I can also make smoothies out of.
B12 vitamin tablets.
Sunflower and pumpkin seeds.
Dried fruit.
Spinach and some other fresh vegetables.
Soya pieces and quorn mince. Maybe some bean burgers.

I don't have a lot of time on my hands for preparing meals etc. I was hoping that there are things that I can make at the weekend that will last the week. Also stuff to take to work with me.

I quite like vegetables, beans, nuts and seeds etc. So it's not like I think I will feel I'm missing out on the meat in my new diet.
Sorry to babble but I'm feeling a bit daunted by the transition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Welcome...if you tell us where you are (uk/us/aus) we can give you better answers on what shops and items you can buy
#3 Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 AM

Hi there, I am from UK. Berkshire. I see you are from the UK too.
My closest supermarkets are Sainsbury's and Aldi. I tend to do my big monthly shops at Sainsbury's.
There is also a Tesco about 10 minutes drive away.

There is a Holland and Barret in town, do they sell any health foods usually? Such as seeds and things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah Im from County Durham....up North
Sainsburys are great at labelling their Vegan items, youd be suprised what you can find. Their tinned beans are always a good price, i get loads in as theyre perfect for stews and cassaroles.
They have a good meat free frozen range too, always adding new things, but read the labels as some are only vegetarian, not vegan.
Holland and Barrett are good for fake meat and stuff if you want to avoid Quorn which is only vegetarian.
Linda McCartney also has a great range, things like the sausages,mince and mincepies are all vegan if you want to be buying things like that.
#5 Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Thanks. I think I will try to dig out some recipes on the internet too before I go shopping tomorrow.
I would ideally like to make some meals in bulk and freeze them. I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment.
So hopefully if I can cook up my own meals from scratch I will save some money.
#6 Old 01-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

The simple recipes are always the best.
I make stews that are just a tin of tomatoes, tin of kidney beans and whatever veggies are the cheapest, like mushrooms, potatoes, courgette, onions, peppers, and carrots, put it all in a slow cooker and serve it up with brown rice. Completely vegan and so good my omni boyfriend always asks for seconds!
#7 Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Ex-*****

Beans! And there are so many varieties! Dried beans are cheaper than tinned ones, but some can be challenging to cook properly to people inexperienced with them.

Lentils (dried) cook fairly fast, especially the red ones.

Pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, etc) is a staple. Couscous (which is technically also a kind of pasta) cooks really fast and is used in lots of North African / Middle Eastern(?) recipes.

Noodles go well with East Asian recipes, though they're more expensive per calories than rice I think.

Pita breads and wraps are tasty (esp. when combined with hummus) and good for lunch as well as dinner.

A balanced diet will include a couple of servings of beans / lentils / chickpeas / peanuts / other legumes per day.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#8 Old 01-27-2012, 11:11 AM

I like the sound of pitta breads and wraps actually. I used to like making chill. I could make a vege chilli filling. mmmmmm...

I could do stir frys like I normally do but maybe substitute the meat with mushrooms and more veg and noodles.

And through the summer I grow lots of salad, chili's, herbs etc so should have plenty to pick at through those months.

Thanks for the advice peeps. This seems like a helpful & friendly forum
#9 Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Vegan Very Metal

A copy of the "Animal Free Shopper" might be useful, it's published by The Vegan Society in the UK, and lists all sorts of food and drink which is suitable for a vegan diet. I know you're not vegan, (well not yet) but it could come in very handy. I think it costs about £5.
#10 Old 01-29-2012, 03:34 AM

Thanks Vincent. I'll check that out.

I did my first shop yesterday where I was consciously looking for nutritious vegetarian food.
I haven't bought meat for a while. But I haven't been making my new diet a balanced one until now.

I bought soy milk, almond milk and hazelnut milk. I haven't tried the hazelnut milk yet.
I didn't find the soy milk to be very nice. The almond milk is nice though. It goes well on my cereal and has a nice sweetness to it.
It also tastes nice in coffee.

I bought some porridge outs, Alpen etc for my breakfasts and bananas to go with it.
Lots of beans, lentils, humous, fruit and veg, brown rice and pasta, brown tortillas. A big bag of spinach that I can mix into most meals.

I'm going to try making a vegetarian stew tonight, with all the carrots, beans etc that I bought.

I also bought a lot of Linda Macartney meals. The vege sausages were lovely. Had then for lunch yesterday.

So basically. I'm quite looking forward to trying new foods. I like a lot of spicy food.
So I should be able to get loads of veggies in those dishes without even noticing.

Butternut squash curry is my favourite one so far.
#11 Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Beginner

As for quick weeknight foods, I like whole wheat couscous, grits/polenta and hot cereal blends like this one: http://www.bobsredmill.com/10-grain-...al.html?&cat=9 (not sure if you have Bob's Red Mill in the UK) because they are nutritious, and cook up very fast. I just saute up whatever vegetables we have in the fridge, and serve them over the grain. I really like black-eyed peas, spinach and tomatoes with hot sauce and liquid smoke over grits or the cereal. So filling and delicious!

"You know I'm a radical."
#12 Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Beginner

I primarily eat a whole foods vegetarian diet (mostly vegan), and here's my basic "must have" list:

Black beans, dried and canned
Garbanzo beans, dried and canned
Black eye peas, dried and canned
Pinto beans, dried and canned
----------------------------------------
Natural peanut butter, preferably fresh ground
Dried cherries
Fire raisins
Unsweetened applesauce
Israeli couscous
Whole wheat couscous
Brown rice rotini
Barley
Short-grain brown rice
Quinoa
Amaranth
Arborio (sp?) rice
Oatmeal, rolled oats and steel cut
A variety of fruits & veggies, typically trying to shop "in season"
Some of my staple f/v include:
Napa cabbage
Broccoli
Asparagus
Collard greens
Celery
Carrots
Shallots
Garlic
Mushrooms
Cucumbers
Potatoes
Satsuma oranges
Valencia oranges
Bananas
Nectarines
Apples
Kiwi
Whole wheat flour
Bread flour
Unbleached white flour
Barley flour
Yellow cornmeal
Baking soda
Baking powder
Ener-G egg replacer
Ground flax
Chia seeds
Breadcrumbs
Panko breadcrumbs

After all that I just add in some whole wheat tortillas, a variety of herbs and spices and condiments like soy sauce and I'm set!
From these things I can make everything from wild mushroom risotto to apple cinnamon baked tortilla chips. From roasted chickpeas to some bangin' morning oatmeal, even homemade pasta!

There are also always other things to get if it's something you like and there are so many faux meats and cheeses too! I make the ocassional homemade black bean burger too, love those
#13 Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM

Oh wow, there's just a few ideas to get me started )

Some of the things on that list I don't even know what they are. Chia seeds, Quinoa ? It's a new world to me. Also, are flax seeds a good source of Omega 3 or something. I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before.

Thanks for your long response, I appreciate it very much.
#14 Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Beginner

#15 Old 02-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyface View Post

As for quick weeknight foods, I like whole wheat couscous, grits/polenta and hot cereal blends like this one: http://www.bobsredmill.com/10-grain-...al.html?&cat=9 (not sure if you have Bob's Red Mill in the UK) because they are nutritious, and cook up very fast. I just saute up whatever vegetables we have in the fridge, and serve them over the grain. I really like black-eyed peas, spinach and tomatoes with hot sauce and liquid smoke over grits or the cereal. So filling and delicious!

I've never seen that Bob's Red Mill over here in the UK no. I must say that it's not really the type of thing I have looked out for in the past. I will keep an eye out for it now though. It has lots of great ingredients.

Actually I went to Holland and Barrets today which is a health food and supplement store in UK. I bought lots of flax seeds, sunflower seeds, vitamin B12 tablets, hemp protein powder, molasses, flaxseed oil, hemp oil, vegan vegetable stock for soups etc.

I not sure how much B12 to take though. On the bottle it says one tablet gives you 1000% of your RDA. But it also says you can take up to 5 tablets a day. What would be the point in that. I would have thought all you need is 100% of your RDA. Whats the point in taking 5000%?
#16 Old 02-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

Chia seeds: http://www.mychiaseeds.com/Articles/...aBenefits.html
Quinoa: http://www.3fatchicks.com/5-health-benefits-of-quinoa/
Flax: http://www.livestrong.com/article/30...ound-flaxseed/

I would type it all out, but I'm mobile so those links go over everything

I had never heard of Chia before, got some ordered.
#17 Old 02-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelterHelper View Post

I not sure how much B12 to take though. On the bottle it says one tablet gives you 1000% of your RDA. But it also says you can take up to 5 tablets a day. What would be the point in that. I would have thought all you need is 100% of your RDA. Whats the point in taking 5000%?

I take a sublingual B12 tablet which you put under your tongue and let dissolve as it is supposed to help with absorption. I order it online and I take one everyday just because I have read a few nightmare stories about vegans and B12 deficiency.
#18 Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Ex-*****

Quote:

1000% usually means something like 10 micrograms, and that's just about right what you need (assuming you didn't have an actual deficiency to begin with). It's a bit confusing, but I think 100%, i.e. 1 microgram, would be enough if our bodies absorbed everything perfectly, which it doesn't. The supplements sold by the Vegan Society (called "Veg1") also has 10 micrograms of B12, so if you trust them then the one you got is probably good enough as well.

You can take more if your absorption is bad (which can be the case in older people) or have higher requirements (which is the case e.g. for pregnant women).

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#19 Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've never seen that Bob's Red Mill over here in the UK no. I must say that it's not really the type of thing I have looked out for in the past. I will keep an eye out for it now though. It has lots of great ingredients.

Actually I went to Holland and Barrets today which is a health food and supplement store in UK. I bought lots of flax seeds, sunflower seeds, vitamin B12 tablets, hemp protein powder, molasses, flaxseed oil, hemp oil, vegan vegetable stock for soups etc.

Alot of the brands the American members of Veggieboards are mentioning we dont have in the UK. It can get confusing if they are saying 'get this brand' as they simply dont make it here.
#20 Old 02-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quite a few vegan and vegetarian cookbooks will include a shopping list in the front or back.
Books about vegan nutrition/ health also have good shopping lists.

And there are websites with suggestions, too. Take a look:
http://pcrm.org/kickstarthome/resour...ocery_list.cfm
http://static.oprah.com/images/packa...pping-list.pdf
http://engine2diet.com/tools
http://bistrokatie.com/wp-content/up...strokatie1.pdf
http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/...ping-list.html
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegan-grocery-list/

Personally, we get these things:
- variety of fruits and veggies, depending on season and recipes (both fresh and frozen, few canned)
- canned and dried beans of all kinds
- some canned soups and chili and some boxed Indian and Cajun foods
- 3 kinds of rice
- seasonings (bouilion cubes, spices, etc)
- soymilk (fortified of course)
- tofu and other veggie meats (veggie sausages, tempeh, tofurky deli slices, gardien, etc)
- oats
- breakfast cereal and coffee creamer (soy or almond)

Sometimes we also get:
- vegan ice cream (made of soy, almond or coconut milk)
- vegan pudding and yogurts (soy or almond milk based)
- daiya or teese
- cookies (uncle Eddies)
#21 Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

As I stated above Elaine...its very sweet you are trying to help but we dont get any of those branded products in the UK

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page