Reasons to Not Eat Fish - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2012, 06:15 PM

I've recently become vegan. I'm seventeen years old, and still living with my mom, and so, she's had to process this change; she's at last fine with everything, except one thing: not eating fish. My family is big on eating fish; we used to travel to an island every summer, going fishing and eating clams on the dock. Now, of course, I'll miss this, but I understand now that eating fish does not go along with being a vegan; fish are sentient beings, and I don't want to eat them.

However, when I tried to explain this to my mom, she didn't understand. She still cannot fathom any reason why I wouldn't eat fish/shellfish/etc.. Does anyone have a better way to explain the reasoning for not eating fish to her? Any good articles, etc., that I can send her? She thinks that, because fish are not "tortured", they're just caught and eaten, that I should be able to eat them without problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Here's an older thread. I'd go get some links to articles and whatnot but I gotta leave for a while. I'm sure some other posters can help you there.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.livescience.com/7761-fish...udy-finds.html
http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.c...113-8/abstract

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Here's an older thread. I'd go get some links to articles and whatnot but I gotta leave for a while. I'm sure some other posters can help you there.

Yep and my answer is on the first page as well and I still feel the same way.
#5 Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 AM

Have you tried Vegetarian fish???
#6 Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Doktormartini, thanks for these two links:
I'll pass them on to a few people I know who refuse to believe fish experience pain and keep eating them despite calling themselves 'vegetarians'.
#7 Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Even if you don't believe fish are sentient, there are good reasons to not eat fish. The marine ecosystems are in a lot of danger because of the fishing industries. (I don't think this applies to lobster or other sea-life that are caught in small traps in shallow water, though?)

Many of the fish that people eat are actually endangered. Others (like shrimp) produce tons upon tons of "by-catch," collateral damage fish that are caught along with the target fish and that just die for no reason.
#8 Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

The environmental consequences a7dk talked about might be the best way to explain it to your mom. Wikipedia is not a scientific article nor is it perfect, but I think it's generally pretty good for info. Here's its page called Environmental Impact of Fishing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environ...act_of_fishing

Now, that might not really be applicable to the kind of fishing your family does, but it's still something you can use to explain your reasoning to your mother if you wanted to.

One thing I'd recommend is to be careful that you don't come off sounding holier-than-thou about it, or get angry and defensive. It's very easy to do those things - I'm guilty of it sometimes - but usually ineffective.

Good luck!
#9 Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7dk View Post

Even if you don't believe fish are sentient, there are good reasons to not eat fish. The marine ecosystems are in a lot of danger because of the fishing industries. (I don't think this applies to lobster or other sea-life that are caught in small traps in shallow water, though?)

Many of the fish that people eat are actually endangered. Others (like shrimp) produce tons upon tons of "by-catch," collateral damage fish that are caught along with the target fish and that just die for no reason.

What about fish/shrimp/clams raised in captivity? Personally I just like to err on the side of not eating animals whose level of cognizance is a mystery to me. That and for the sake of philosophical consistency (because I really don't think clams and shrimp are at all self aware).
#10 Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

What about fish/shrimp/clams raised in captivity? Personally I just like to err on the side of not eating animals whose level of cognizance is a mystery to me. That and for the sake of philosophical consistency (because I really don't think clams and shrimp are at all self aware).

I'm not aware of any environmental reasons to not eat shrimp/clams raised in captivity. I'm no expert though. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page